Polestar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I thought I was crazy but the map on the dash board seems to zoom in and out randomly. I can't seem to find info on this but is it random or is there a purpose behind this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
664 Posts
At first I thought I was crazy but the map on the dash board seems to zoom in and out randomly. I can't seem to find info on this but is it random or is there a purpose behind this?

Thanks in advance!
Yeah, it’s a little glitchy. But also beautiful. Like Farrah Fawcett.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

Thanks in advance!
It follows Google's general rules for zooming. Based on speed, and if you're approaching an intersection where you need to turn or something.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Likely didn't help I didn't have a destination set!

Also I think mine's more Cameron Diaz glitchy than Farrah Fawcett

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
Has anyone else on occasion seen the dash map pan to the left (the whole map, revealing blank background on the right) and then snap back into place ? It’s definitely a weird bug and comes and goes.

I’ve also seen the dash map zoom in/out unpredictably and start spinning around like it doesn’t know which direction I’m pointed.

Yeah. Glitchy and beautiful.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
867 Posts
Has anyone else on occasion seen the dash map pan to the left (the whole map, revealing blank background on the right) and then snap back into place ? It’s definitely a weird bug and comes and goes.

I’ve also seen the dash map zoom in/out unpredictably and start spinning around like it doesn’t know which direction I’m pointed.

Yeah. Glitchy and beautiful.
I've noticed the spinning around, it's annoying and does it a lot. There also seems to be a bit of a lag between the car turning and the screen turning, as if it's not using a compass and it's trying to guess which way the car is pointing at.

So far that's the only thing that's objectively worse in this satnav compared to the one on my Audi's MMI that predates smartphones :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I've noticed the spinning around, it's annoying and does it a lot. There also seems to be a bit of a lag between the car turning and the screen turning, as if it's not using a compass and it's trying to guess which way the car is pointing at.

So far that's the only thing that's objectively worse in this satnav compared to the one on my Audi's MMI that predates smartphones :)
I actually wondered how the car version would handle direction, because the phone and Android Auto app guesses based on your heading. It kinda looks like it's guessing too.

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
263 Posts
I actually wondered how the car version would handle direction, because the phone and Android Auto app guesses based on your heading. It kinda looks like it's guessing too.
It feel very similar to the behavior of Google Maps on my Pixel phone. The magnetic compass is often useless, and when GPS reception is bad so is the GPS-based one. In this case the app will guess direction based on heading, but it takes a bit of driving/moving for that to become a thing.
Super annoying when I'm stopped in an unfamiliar location, trying to figure out which way to go...

Question: Does the car actually have a magnetic compass?

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
It does, but also to detect movement as part of the anti-theft mechanism. For that reason it's not recommended to put things with metal in to the bottom of the storage between the seats, as solid state magnetic compasses are de-tuned by the presence of metal nearby. Not sure if that vibration/movement detector is plumbed into the rest of the system.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Question: Does the car actually have a magnetic compass?
I think it does - it will be a combined GPS/compass module. Android has pretty advanced sensor fusion that combines data from GPS, compass, cellular location, accelerometers, wheel speed etc. so that it can maintain navigation information even if you're in a tunnel or multi-storey car park - there's also elements of prediction in there - that's why it can sometimes jump a bit when it gets fresh data from the 'real' sensors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts