Polestar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Polestar 2 LRDM
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a dashcam professionally installed and it activates when I enter the car. However I have noticed it activates when charging at home - so get a great video of darkness! Has anyone else had this issue?

· Registered
143 Posts
I have had a dashcam professionally installed and it activates when I enter the car. However I have noticed it activates when charging at home - so get a great video of darkness! Has anyone else had this issue?
I installed my dash cam myself and never had any issues. Maybe your installer wasn't that professional? Mine is connected to OBDII to get constant power.

· Super Moderator
2,645 Posts
Yes, it's no good activating your dashcam based on the 'ignition' status because the PS2 turns that on any time it's doing something. When charging / even at random other times it'll come on.

Which dashcam is it - does it have other options for triggering? GPS etc?

· Registered
Polestar 2 Launch Edition (Thunder/Slate)
2,075 Posts
I tapped the mobile phone charger fuse as a trigger for my Garmin and it's working as expected over the past two years. The car doesn't seem to activate this when locked.

Might be worth asking how it was wired.

A common way such devices are triggered is by monitoring the voltage, as on an ICE as soon as the engine turns on the alternator will increase the voltage to >13V, but as you found out this will also happen when the car is charging (or even when not charging, if it decides to top up the 12V), so this method isn't appropriate for an EV.

· Registered
20 Posts
Are you talking about the continuous monitor or the parking mode motion sensor? Mine was professionally installed with the idea of having a parking mode and it seems to work fine.

I have found that the cable supplied by Polestar blinks very brightly and that activates the sensor. Keeping it covered does prevent it from activating.

· Registered
Polestar 2 LRDM
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about the continuous monitor or the parking mode motion sensor? Mine was professionally installed with the idea of having a parking mode and it seems to work fine.

I have found that the cable supplied by Polestar blinks very brightly and that activates the sensor. Keeping it covered does prevent it from activating.
Don't have a parking mode - I just need the dashcam to work when I'm in the car. So I guess I need it connected to some other place - such as the OBDll

· Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
788 Posts
I have a Nextbase 522 and I used the number 9 fuse location. I have set my dashcam to "auto off" but I don't know what conditions apply to that. However I do know when it looses power and switches to battery power it powers down. Mine seems to go to sleep once I park. It will finish the 1 minute video file and then shut off.
White Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Auto part

1 - 9 of 9 Posts