Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. After looking at all the helpful input on the dashcam thread I think I know what I'd like to get fitted.

But having looked into doing it myself, despite being reasonably handy, I think I'd be more comfortable getting someone experienced to do it instead. So can anyone please suggest an installer in the South London or Surrey Surrey area? Obviously I'd much rather go with a recommendation if possible thank someone random.

Many thanks...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the video. I could give it a go myself, but just not certain about the electrical connections. I'm looking at a Blackvue DR900 or something that Halfords sell. Not at all sure about letting them fit it though...

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
The electrical connections are all on that original thread - I even put pictures up showing which fuse and ground connection to use, and it's for a Blackvue cam..

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The electrical connections are all on that original thread - I even put pictures up showing which fuse and ground connection to use, and it's for a Blackvue cam..
Thanks. I've just read through your other post again and watched the video as well. I'm now leaving towards doing it myself! Eek!😀

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you again. Sorry... one more question. Is it preferable to hardwire as discussed, or better to get the OBD cable? I know which would be easier, but are there any pros or cons I should consider?

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
No problem, question away :) I'd get the hardwire kit. The OBD cable is easy but the connector is right where you might catch it unless you tie the cable safely up and back inside the trim, which is straightforward but if you're doing that anyway, you might as well plumb it in properly. Remember that you can't be too "permanent" in the way you use the OBD cable as they will have to remove it for servicing/updates, so just make sure it's easily detachable. I'm not sure if there's only a switched 12V on there rather than a permanent one so your parking mode won't work as it'll be powered off about 5-10 minutes after the vehicle's locked.

Someone else may be able to help with whether the OBD2 port's 12V is permanent or ACC (ignition-on only)?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good points regarding making it easily unpluggable and also the permanent love supply. I'll stick with the hardwire cable included in the Blackvue box then, thanks...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And I'm eyeing up a memory card for it too... I'm thinking 32gb as supplied is a bit too small. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
Should be fine. You only need it to record things when something's happened, or be able to go back for a few hours worth of driving generally, and 32GB gives you several hours (I think).

One point - make sure you mount the dashcam such that you can get it out again if needed! If you put it in the top corner of the windscreen for instance, you could stick it to the windscreen, but then not leave enough space to slide the camera out of the mounting ring and not be able to get at the SD card :) In any case I tend to access it via WiFi anyway.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I'll see how I go with the included memory card, and replace if needed.

Great point regarding getting the camera out once fitted! I was thinking at the top and to the left of the rear view mirror...

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
That's where I put it - it's too intrusive in the field of view to put it below the rear view mirror, so I tucked it as high up as possible and just to the left of the rear view mirror as you describe.

Reactions: Irf

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you are going for the OBD port with a connector the power magic pro won’t fit the PS due to the cable joint and you have to by an OBD Port extension cable then tie all that up and away

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanks. I'm going for the 900x which seems to have battery monitoring built in, so shouldn't need the extra box

·
Registered
463 Posts
That's where I put it - it's too intrusive in the field of view to put it below the rear view mirror, so I tucked it as high up as possible and just to the left of the rear view mirror as you describe.
Ha... I'm going to put it on the other left...the one on the passenger side. Driving on the wrong side of the road, putting dashcams on the wrong side, mirrored fuse boxes. Why do you guys make everything so complicated ? Should have followed the Swedes when they shifted ! :cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Putting it to the left or right of the radar unit (black box on the windshield) is good. Putting it below the radar unit has caused problems in the past (and does block some of the view). Another thing to consider is the heat in your area. We had my wife's mounted to the windshield and it fell off because the glue melted from the heat. Ended up getting a Blendmount and connecting it to the mirror arm. Blendmount does not have Polestar on the vehicle list, but I assume Volvo will be the same. I know it will be for my P1.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts