Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I did a search for this topic and (sadly) found confirmation that the PS2 onboard cameras can't easily be used for dashcam purposes. (BTW PS... why wasn't this done!!??)

Anyway so it seems that I would need to install my own dashcam, or get it installed by someone. So... any recommendations? Obviously I don't want it to look hideous in my lovely shiny new PS2! ;)

Many thanks...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just looking into this myself, and looking at the Blackvue 750 Cloud Connected one.

Has front (Wide Angle) and rear cameras for parking mode, along with Power Magic Pro so it doesn’t kill the 12v battery.

just looking for a good installer as I don’t want a hack job.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just looking into this myself, and looking at the Blackvue 750 Cloud Connected one.

Has front (Wide Angle) and rear cameras for parking mode, along with Power Magic Pro so it doesn’t kill the 12v battery.

just looking for a good installer as I don’t want a hack job.
I'll have a look... let me know what you decide and how it goes!

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
This chap from the UK Facebook group was good enough to make a quick video of how he fitted his. I intend to move my BlackVue dual camera across in this way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why Blackvue? I've had a little look around and there are so many others, and the reviews for this are a bit mixed aren't they?

Grateful for pointers...

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
I could buy a refurbished 770 2CH dual for £230 from their factory store on ebay, compared to £450 for a new one, and the reviews for that model at the time (a couple of years ago) were really good. It's also never failed to behave correctly even after hundreds of drives. Next time round it might be a Nextbase, but the front/rear combined one my father bought a couple of years ago has all sorts of power supply issues and he has to start it manually each time, so I'm suspicious of the brand now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have fitted 2 Thinkware dash cams to my last 2 cars I cant fault them and I know they have had no issues affecting the on board Volvo electronics ( Xc 40 )
will be looking to fit the same on my P2 in January

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had an old DR550GW Dual WiFi BlackVue in my A4 for best part of 10 years - has been problem free - certainly not the cheapest but with PowerMagic and a rear facing camera - either pointing out of back window or at the driver I will be getting one of the newer BlackVue models - has a good parking mode and more modern models upload footage to their cloud storeage.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
I had a Thinkware before the Blackvue and it kept needing the internal SD card reformatting about once per week, which tells me they didn't put in a controlled shutdown mode to properly save the files. After that I moved to a better brand that do have a controlled shutdown when the power's removed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a Thinkware before the Blackvue and it kept needing the internal SD card reformatting about once per week, which tells me they didn't put in a controlled shutdown mode to properly save the files. After that I moved to a better brand that do have a controlled shutdown when the power's removed.
Which better brand did you explore? I am looking at the Thinkware F800 at the moment... still not decided though!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is there any solar powered dashcam? I am not a big fan of putting extra wires around.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the think ware F800 front and rear camera setup.
In your PS2? Any issues wiring it? How do you get on with the parking monitoring? Any issues with the car battery?

I'm pretty competent, but I'm wondering if I should pay someone to do it to be safe...

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
By better brand, I meant the Blackvue instead of the Thinkware.

No solar panel would be powerful enough to power one or more cameras with recording I'm afraid, they will need to be wired into the 12V socket (helpfully in the boot!) or one of the USB sockets (if they're powerful enough), or ideally permanently connected to the fuse box.

·
Registered
128 Posts
if solar is not powerful enough then I’d like to add to the “request feature” thread a 12v or USB-c plug near the rear view mirror or near the windshield. Or, better, a software update to allow the installed cams to also serve as dashcam.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
It sounds like a lot of the video processing is done at the cameras, with a relatively low-speed connection from the camera to the main ECU, which means this will never happen. It's a very different architecture to the Tesla system.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
52 Posts
Getting a Blackvue DR900 2 Channel professionally installed and they have asked if I can send them over the fuse chart for the PS2.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find this info please?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts