Polestar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for dashcam...which brand you prefer? To those who have had a test drive or taken delivery...any assistance by dealer in installing one?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Somewhere in the online manual it mentions that add on electrical accessories need to be approved by Polestar. I don't know if this is just a catch all corporate statement or not. I've had dashcams in my 3 previous Mazda CX5's and the dealers or Mazda did not seem to be interested or concerned. I currently have Nextbase although I seem to suffer with too many warning messages about SD card not found even though it is brand new and an approved type by Nextbase. I just touch OK and it carries on recording as though nothing's happened. One interesting point is that there is no 12v socket up front so that may limit choice. The other option is for the dashcam to be hard wired which may open up another can of worms with Polestar/dashcam fitter.

I'm in a similar situation as you as I will be wanting a dashcam but probably not Nextbase. It would be good if Polestar could offer an approved one which takes car of any fitting or warranty issues, especially as they don't offer a type of "sentry mode". One of the questions to be asked on the test drive.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
A link to the manual would be handy. Is it already up on the forum. Have I missed it?

In any case, there's bound to be a fuse box up front somewhere, perhaps behind the glove box. If so, hard wiring a dashcam or radar detector is likely not a big deal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's the owners manual

I've got this one on my wife's car. It's very basic though. I think automakers always put statements like that. You should still have it professionally installed

·
Registered
139 Posts
Has a diagram. It would appear there are some spare slots for micro fuses that would work. I plan to poke at them for radar detector and dash cam, eventually. I’ve hardwired my last several vehicles with fuse-taps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
@Jonno
I too have a Nextbase on a CX5, I’m looking at trying the camera on a USB-C to USB-micro lead and seeing if I can run it on that. Using a normal usb cable in a laptop I managed to run the camera in a short 5 minute test I did recently
The repeating error message is usually fixed by the camera doing a reformat of the card 🤞

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your replies...well I am not the DIY kinda guy so will definitely want to get it along with a radar detector installed professionally...I remember someone asking same question on twitter & polestar did reply but not able to find that tweet now....

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Another technique:
Also, you can test the power coming out of the manufacturer's bulky plug by splicing into the wire. There's a good chance the manufacturer's plug isn't doing anything but passing along the 12 volt power. If so, you can just cut out the plugs entirely which will make it much easier to hide the wires.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I sold my Volt today, and the buyer did not want the radar detector nor the dashcam, so I ripped them out and will look at putting them in the Polestar 2 when I get it. The dashcam is a DOD RX8W https://www.amazon.com/DOD-TECH-RX8W-Rearview-Mirror/dp/B00V8LF0E6 (now 3 years old or so). It has micro-USB at camera end and 12V cigar male at the power end, so I will look at installing a cigar female off the fuse box under the glove compartment. I like it well enough but am going to look into one of the newer styles that also has a rear camera if I can see a good way to fish the wire through the PS2. (Duct-taping it to the glass roof is not an option.)

The Valentine One radar detector (mine is Gen 1) offers a number of power arrangements; you can see their black dual RJ11 (telephone) style gizmo in the first picture. It has a red lead that passes through an inline fuse (1A; the black thing in the middle of the red wire run) to a M blade connector (the out-of-focus pale blue thing above my thumb; I can't remember if they provided that or if I added it to their red lead), and a black ground lead to a spade connector. I found a convenient hole in a metal part under the dash and put a bolt, washer, and nut through that to attach the ground.

Then, I added the micro fuse tap (as shown by the Professor above), with a 5A fuse installed for my circuit (of course, the 1A would blow first if there was an issue). This clipped into a spare fuse receptacle so was not shared with any car circuits, thus no need for the lower fuse to be occupied; I verified that fuse was powered on-off by the car starting or shutting off ("ignition switch" is going to be passé REAL SOON NOW). Instead of using the crimp connector that comes on the fuse tap, I crimped on a piercing style adapter (the blue thing by my thumb tip in second pic, which may have come from Valentine as the other end of their system); this has the female connector for the red lead's M to plug into.

I put some sticky tape backed velcro on the back of the RJ11 gizmo and stuck it near the fuse box out of sight.

Finally, one runs the phone cable from the RJ11 connector up to the radar detector through the door seals and roof liner. I like the MirrorMount brand Mirror Mount Device Brackets – RadarMount.com - The Radar Detector Expert ™ attachment to hang the radar detector from the car mirror's post. I will have to see if it fits on the PS2 post.

Both devices have worked fine for the last 3-4 years in the Volt, so I can't imagine why they won't work in the PS2, barring any weirdness with PS2 radar emitters...

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 16.38.04 .png
Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 17.18.35 .png

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just wanted to be really clear: that was my Volt setup. I have not yet done this to a Polestar. When I do, I will ID a good fuse candidate or two and make new pics. Unless you beat me to it, which I would welcome!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I sold my Volt today, and the buyer did not want the radar detector nor the dashcam, so I ripped them out and will look at putting them in the Polestar 2 when I get it. The dashcam is a DOD RX8W https://www.amazon.com/DOD-TECH-RX8W-Rearview-Mirror/dp/B00V8LF0E6 (now 3 years old or so). It has micro-USB at camera end and 12V cigar male at the power end, so I will look at installing a cigar female off the fuse box under the glove compartment. I like it well enough but am going to look into one of the newer styles that also has a rear camera if I can see a good way to fish the wire through the PS2. (Duct-taping it to the glass roof is not an option.)

The Valentine One radar detector (mine is Gen 1) offers a number of power arrangements; you can see their black dual RJ11 (telephone) style gizmo in the first picture. It has a red lead that passes through an inline fuse (1A; the black thing in the middle of the red wire run) to a M blade connector (the out-of-focus pale blue thing above my thumb; I can't remember if they provided that or if I added it to their red lead), and a black ground lead to a spade connector. I found a convenient hole in a metal part under the dash and put a bolt, washer, and nut through that to attach the ground.

Then, I added the micro fuse tap (as shown by the Professor above), with a 5A fuse installed for my circuit (of course, the 1A would blow first if there was an issue). This clipped into a spare fuse receptacle so was not shared with any car circuits, thus no need for the lower fuse to be occupied; I verified that fuse was powered on-off by the car starting or shutting off ("ignition switch" is going to be passé REAL SOON NOW). Instead of using the crimp connector that comes on the fuse tap, I crimped on a piercing style adapter (the blue thing by my thumb tip in second pic, which may have come from Valentine as the other end of their system); this has the female connector for the red lead's M to plug into.

I put some sticky tape backed velcro on the back of the RJ11 gizmo and stuck it near the fuse box out of sight.

Finally, one runs the phone cable from the RJ11 connector up to the radar detector through the door seals and roof liner. I like the MirrorMount brand Mirror Mount Device Brackets – RadarMount.com - The Radar Detector Expert ™ attachment to hang the radar detector from the car mirror's post. I will have to see if it fits on the PS2 post.

Both devices have worked fine for the last 3-4 years in the Volt, so I can't imagine why they won't work in the PS2, barring any weirdness with PS2 radar emitters...

View attachment 685 View attachment 685 View attachment 687 View attachment 687
Just in case - did you see this? glovebox fusebox specs in the US manual:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts