Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I promise I looked over prior threads finding an answer, so don't judge me too harshly if this is a common thing that has been discussed ad nauseum. A few weeks ago I was in an ATV accident and broke my leg, and have been laid up and not driving. The car had 80 miles left, and I haven't thought anything of it but it has been sitting dormant in the garage with no contact whatsoever. Today I went to try and charge it up, and the car is dead. No lights anything. I plugged in the charger, and it won't charge. Please tell me there is a fix for this that doesn't require someone to come out. 馃檹

Registered
Seems like a 12V battery issue. You should be able to "jump start" the system (just as you would do in an ICE car) or at least get it onto a flatbed so someone can replace the 12V battery.

If you cannot get the car into life with as 12V boost then try and change it, failing that ... get it to a Volvo dealership.

The car isn't dead ... just the 12V.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
yeah problem is the nearest dealership is 700 miles away. we unfortunately don't have the volvo service partnership over here. damn this sucks.

Registered
yeah problem is the nearest dealership is 700 miles away. we unfortunately don't have the volvo service partnership over here. damn this sucks.
Was is plugged in to a home charger while you were laid up? If not, agree the 12V battery probably just sucked down the traction battery over the extended period of idleness. The car seems to draws some power even when 鈥渙ff.鈥 See today鈥檚 discussion of warm spots on the roof and dashcams.

Should be able to 鈥渏ump鈥 it, though it might be better to use one of those 12V chargers to do it gently.

Deal: NOCO GENIUS10, 10-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V And 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, And Battery Desulfator With Temperature Compensation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W3QT226/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_dlT4_TdI-FbRT68Z73

Registered
Can you take the 12V battery out and take it to a test centre?

Or failing that can you call a recovery vehicle that can test your 12V ... might be the 12V is fine but just discharged ... a "jump start" and a good drive followed by a charger would do wonders with it!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Great advice, and yes it was not plugged in. I'm casted up for another month+ and can't drive anyway so I'll just order one of the smart chargers and see if I can get it sorted on my own. Funny thing was I thought I was being smart today to plug it in before something like this happened. Lessons learned from an EV newbie. I've missed driving it for sure.

Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
What version software is it running? The software prior to the Infotainment's Android Security Patch Level 1st October was known to have problems draining the 12V battery, for instance.

I'd jump-start the 12V battery and then plug it into the charger and then leave it plugged in to the charger from that point. I'd do that rather than investing in a top-up charger for the 12V seeing as having it plugged into the Type 2 wall charger will allow it to look after its own 12V.

You can use any small 12V jump-starter as the amount of power taken is really small (no massive engine to turn over).

Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
Quite right Prof. Intended to put that in the post and clean forgot by the end. Get well soon!

Registered
Thanks. Femur. Grateful to be alive honestly.
Dang. What a huge bummer. I do a lot of adventurous sports (big-line backcountry skiing, mountain biking, windsurfing, etc.). But you couldn鈥檛 get me near an ATV. Not judging, just being honest. I鈥檝e heard too many horror stories, some much worse than yours. Glad you are alive.

Get that leg healed, get the battery charged, and get out and enjoy the car!!

Premium Member
'Takes a lot to break a femur. Damn!

Registered
The latest firmware also drain 12v while charging... Happened twice now. Booster don't have the power to active the 12v system and pull the 400v contactors in order to start charging from the high volt system.

I need to run a 40A CTEK charge for 5 minutes to be able to wake it up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Any of you folks have a hint on how to get to the 12v battery? My 17 year old is going to do this for me, so maybe dumb down the instructions or explain in video game speak.

Registered
Any of you folks have a hint on how to get to the 12v battery? My 17 year old is going to do this for me, so maybe dumb down the instructions or explain in video game speak.
Check @stevelup post below.

Registered
Don't follow my other guide. That's not where the jump terminals are. There's no easy way to get access to the positive terminal there.

Instead, pop the cover off by the headlight (same side as the battery) - there you will find a positive terminal. There's also an oversized bolt on the chassis intended for use as the negative.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
yeah I was pretty lost. what is at the back looks clearly like the battery, but the picture on the website is infuriatingly different than what my car looks like inside. I'll try looking around where you suggested @stevelup. Thanks for the help all. I unfortunately dropped a crutch while futzing around and made a scratch.:( Should have gotten the protection film and not just the ceramic coating. Like all people who have had an issue or many, it is frustrating but I really am so happy with the car.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts