Polestar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

This is where I attached the charger based on the pictures on the Polestar site. The one circled in red (positive) doesn't seem to be attached to anything, and after 10 hours or so with the charger, not surprisingly nothing. So either this is the wrong place, or the 12v battery is really dead, and the car is taking a long journey to be repaired.

·
Registered
88 Posts
View attachment 3007

This is where I attached the charger based on the pictures on the Polestar site. The one circled in red (positive) doesn't seem to be attached to anything, and after 10 hours or so with the charger, not surprisingly nothing. So either this is the wrong place, or the 12v battery is really dead, and the car is taking a long journey to be repaired.
Can't we use the 12V outlet in the trunk of the car for a trickle charger?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
yeah I was pretty lost. what is at the back looks clearly like the battery, but the picture on the website is infuriatingly different than what my car looks like inside. I'll try looking around where you suggested @stevelup. Thanks for the help all. I unfortunately dropped a crutch while futzing around and made a scratch.:( Should have gotten the protection film and not just the ceramic coating. Like all people who have had an issue or many, it is frustrating but I really am so happy with the car.
Most of the time the scratch is just the coating and not the paint. Unless you can see metal it's probably the coating ... you'd have to really try to scratch the paint.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,523 Posts
Can't we use the 12V outlet in the trunk of the car for a trickle charger?
Unfortunately not, it's a switched outlet, i.e. only on when the car is on.

Reactions: KRS

·
Registered
44 Posts
I usually pop the second cover (the big one) from the front on the left side to get to the 12v terminals.

The positive terminal is hidden under a second kid, you will not the reach the terminal itself just the big boots that hold the main fuse but It's ok.

The ground should be attached to the chassis in order for the battery monitor control unit to do its job. I use one of the three bolt on top of the suspension top mounts for this.

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Sounds like a broken/loose wire to me - I wonder if it's the same one that caused different problems on at least one car in the UK? Was it yours, @dave or did I mix it up with something else?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Lots of people have the random SoC indication. Mine does it regularly, and only did it after the recall so either:-

a) it's a software bug introduced in the Nov update
b) they disturbed something during the recall
c) it's an issue with one of the replacement parts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have only been doing short journeys and my P2 was left charging for 4 days, just off the 13A plug as I am moving house. The car has done less than 500miles. When I came to the car it was completely dead. Couldn’t get the cable out, couldn’t get into the car. Volvo sent out a service engineer and got into the car with the hidden key slot in the handle, tried to charge the 12V and it wouldn’t take any charge so you may find the same issue. The service tech said that if this were a new Volvo he would just replace the battery, however Polestar asked it to be taken to the garage for diagnostics as this was a new fault to them. From reading these posts it seems it is far from a new fault... it has been in the dealership for 5 working days now. I will let you know what they say when I eventually get it back. What’s annoying is that the manual says to leave it plugged in if it is left longer than 3 months but the after sales at polestar customer service centre have told me this is wrong and to unplug it after a week as otherwise it can drain the 12v... I am a bit lost with it all.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I look forward to your update. I'm bummed about how frustrating this must be for you.

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Unplug it after a week otherwise it can drain the 12V!? That sounds rather like dealership talk for "I've no idea so I've made something up" as it makes absolutely no sense.

Fingers crossed a (proper) technician can get to the bottom of it for you as this is starting to happen with concerning regularity...

·
Registered
3 Posts
It was polestar aftercare themselves who said the manual is not correct and the car should be unplugged if left longer than a week, doesn’t make any sense to me.

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
No, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. They're grasping at straws.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So my car is going to make a long 700 mile journey back to get serviced. I hope it doesn't get dings on the trip. It was on the trickle charger for 20 hours or so, and the charger actually has a code that revealed that the 12V battery will not take a charge. Like I said, it is little inconvenience at the moment, but discouraging nonetheless. It also speaks to the challenge the company will have to service middle America in the short to medium term. Also, it speaks to my one fear with buying the car. I have absolutely no regrets about buying, as it is a true pleasure to drive and has met or exceeded my expectations. Didn't think this would be happening with 400 miles on the odometer. Oh well. I've told people I owe the universe a debt of personal bad luck for the wonderful gift that is a swap in the white house. Seems I knocked on wood...

·
Registered
519 Posts
So my car is going to make a long 700 mile journey back to get serviced. I hope it doesn't get dings on the trip. It was on the trickle charger for 20 hours or so, and the charger actually has a code that revealed that the 12V battery will not take a charge. Like I said, it is little inconvenience at the moment, but discouraging nonetheless. It also speaks to the challenge the company will have to service middle America in the short to medium term. Also, it speaks to my one fear with buying the car. I have absolutely no regrets about buying, as it is a true pleasure to drive and has met or exceeded my expectations. Didn't think this would be happening with 400 miles on the odometer. Oh well. I've told people I owe the universe a debt of personal bad luck for the wonderful gift that is a swap in the white house. Seems I knocked on wood...
Well, at least the timing isn't bad for you right now, considering. Great to hear that Polestar is standing by the service issues with regards to shipping and such.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all. I promise I looked over prior threads finding an answer, so don't judge me too harshly if this is a common thing that has been discussed ad nauseum. A few weeks ago I was in an ATV accident and broke my leg, and have been laid up and not driving. The car had 80 miles left, and I haven't thought anything of it but it has been sitting dormant in the garage with no contact whatsoever. Today I went to try and charge it up, and the car is dead. No lights anything. I plugged in the charger, and it won't charge. Please tell me there is a fix for this that doesn't require someone to come out. 🙏
Thanks for the heads up. You answered a question I had. I planned to leave the car parked for several weeks in a garage while away and wondered if it should remain plugged in or not for the entire time (not knowing how quickly the 12 volt battery would drain on its own). Now I know I will leave it plugged in. The dealer said 2 weeks should be fine without the charger plugged in, but that the risk of the 12 volt battery drain comes at 3-4 weeks. Clearly this is quicker than a conventional engine with a healthy new 12 volt battery. The amount of current being used while parked is certainly higher.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts