Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Did my first hand wash a couple of days ago: remove plates, pressure washer initial rinse, pressure washer foam cannon, rinse, two bucket wash, rinse, towel dry.

'Turned out well, I think.

I'm now considering either a water deionizer/filter system or a car dryer/blower. Either can minimize contact with the paint, but the approaches are quite different. Any opinions to help me with the decision?

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
That does look very shiny indeed! Others on here have spoken religiously about those water purifier things that mean the water dries without leaving smears?

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That does look very shiny indeed! Others on here have spoken religiously about those water purifier things that mean the water dries without leaving smears?
That's the idea... that you can wash your car and let it air dry. I'm not so sure that would work for me. In the spring we get tremendous volumes of pollen and I'm guessing the water droplets would pick up enough pollen that they'd end up leaving water spots anyway. But I'm not sure how, exactly, people use the water filters. Perhaps they towel dry anyway.

The air drying is not supposed to be any quicker than towel drying, but you do avoid contact with the paint.

So I'm looking for real-world experience here.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Buy a multi pack of Micro-fibre cloths for the same cost as either of those. Throw away each cloth (or use for something else) after drying your car with it.

I use my old one's for emergency spills in the house ... and I throw mine in the washing machine for 2-3 uses before they become "Mop Up" cloths.

·
Registered
702 Posts
My detailer seemed quite supportive of the water filters when I chatted to him today (particularly as where I live is extremely chalky water and the car is Void). That is my next step in this journey to maintaining the car’s “factory finish”.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Buy a multi pack of Micro-fibre cloths for the same cost as either of those. Throw away each cloth (or use for something else) after drying your car with it.

I use my old one's for emergency spills in the house ... and I throw mine in the washing machine for 2-3 uses before they become "Mop Up" cloths.
Not exactly an eco-friendly approach, generating landfill in this manner though...

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 - Snow.
37 Posts
I use a water purifier for the final rinse but I am still getting a blower because you want the water off your car as soon as possible.

If the car isn't going to have a full detail and just wants a wash:

Rinse - std water
Snow Foam - Bilt Hamber auto-foam PH nuetral
Rinse - Std Water
Shampoo - using two bucket method - Gyeon Q²M Bathe+
Rinse - Filtered water and Gyeon Q²M WetCoat

This is the end result:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If it's ceramic coated the water should bead and roll off pretty easily with a blower.

You could use something like Ammo Hydrate when you dry the car. It's what I used with my old car, helps dry, lubricates, and helps with the shine. Ceramic safe as well.

Larry at Ammo is obsessive, worth checking out on YouTube.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Not exactly an eco-friendly approach, generating landfill in this manner though...
I've still got every one of my Cloths and are being used for other things. I'm re-cycling their usage.

I suspect you just breath on your cars and dry them with all the hot air that comes out.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
You really don't like me, do you @GDank or are you this rude to everyone 🤷‍♂️ You said to throw them away after a single use so I think my point was fair.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You said to throw them away after a single use so I think my point was fair.

I clearly said "Or use for something else" and then also said how I use mine 2-3 times as dryers. :unsure: :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
🤷‍♂️

I just don't like rude replies, that's all. Uncalled for and unnecessary (and not the first time, either). If you wouldn't say it to someone in person, don't say it electronically.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I use a water purifier for the final rinse but I am still getting a blower because you want the water off your car as soon as possible.

If the car isn't going to have a full detail and just wants a wash:

Rinse - std water
Snow Foam - Bilt Hamber auto-foam PH nuetral
Rinse - Std Water
Shampoo - using two bucket method - Gyeon Q²M Bathe+
Rinse - Filtered water and Gyeon Q²M WetCoat

This is the end result:

View attachment 3233
Looks great!
Amazing how from some angles a P2 looks just like a 996! :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
I have to say I do love a shiny Porker 😁 I was a telemetry engineer for a (championship-winning, cough) Porsche Supercup team about 15 years ago. They're incredible cars to work on and watch on track when driven by someone who knows what they're doing. Had a soft spot and admiration for them ever since.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That's the idea... that you can wash your car and let it air dry. I'm not so sure that would work for me. In the spring we get tremendous volumes of pollen and I'm guessing the water droplets would pick up enough pollen that they'd end up leaving water spots anyway. But I'm not sure how, exactly, people use the water filters. Perhaps they towel dry anyway.

The air drying is not supposed to be any quicker than towel drying, but you do avoid contact with the paint.

So I'm looking for real-world experience here.
I have the water filter which works very well for me and would (and have) recommend.
Most of the time I don't dry it, just leave it to air dry. Even in full sunlight it works well.
Personally I have never had a problem with dust or pollen, in fact it seems to help even after rain.
Perhaps buy the filter first and then if you find the pollen is a problem buy the blower.
Over here the filter is much cheaper than a blower. The other option is to borrow the wife's hairdryer and use on cold!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
🤷‍♂️

I just don't like rude replies, that's all. Uncalled for and unnecessary (and not the first time, either). If you wouldn't say it to someone in person, don't say it electronically.
I'll take this to PM to avoid derailing this thread further.

But this is another example of your arrogant "Holly than Thou" attitude.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have to say I do love a shiny Porker 😁 I was a telemetry engineer for a (championship-winning, cough) Porsche Supercup team about 15 years ago. They're incredible cars to work on and watch on track when driven by someone who knows what they're doing. Had a soft spot and admiration for them ever since.
They are pretty incredible cars. I have had dealings with the Classic side of Porsche for a while and some years ago I was lucky enough to be driven round the Nordschliefe (Nurburgring) in a bog standard 996 Cabriolet by one of their High Performance Course drivers. An incredible experience and makes you appreciate what these cars can do in the right hands and you realise that you are not quite as good a driver as you thought.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'll take this to PM to avoid derailing this thread further.

But this is another example of your arrogant "Holly than Thou" attitude.
Please do not escalate this between you two.
It isn't always easy to get the meaning across on a forum, just like texts etc.
This wouldn't happen in a normal chat down the pub as it could be clarified easily.
We all need to remember to take a moment to consider how others may read what we write and enjoy the friendly
banter.
@dave we need another of your classics to up the mood!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts