Polestar Forum banner

Did pairing the Polestar app with your car work?

• Yes

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • No; Aborted

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • No; Other issue

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Not tried; Waiting for update

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Not tried; Don't have a Polestar 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just want to be different and like alternative options!

Votes: 2 4.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, placing keys in the spare reader bin, let alone where the spare reader bin was, is not clear unless you watch the very slow video.
The same goes for how the polestar account has to be added to your profile. The text here is not very helpfull.

But, I am having an odd issue where the pairing is aborted after it sais it finds all the keys.

Gaaaah!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I voted for alternative options, because I was able to pair, but kinda only partly. Pairing reported as successful, so the app can (sometimes) control the car, but the phone as key does not work. If I try to enbale that, it can't find or connect to the car. Could be because my phone is old (Galaxy S7), but I don't know.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Opposite problem here. Phone as key works great, remote mobile locking/climate completely nonfunctional as of yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Paring not working, timing out, Samsung galaxy s10+, I'm waiting until tomorrow then I'm contacting polestar support 😔.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Alternative.
Everything went smooth. then I decided it was a good idea to rename the car in the app(last friggin thing you do( dont ask me why!) aaand it timed out.
Cant connect to the car / cant edit the connection details.
Car updated like it should though!! :cool:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Two issues, likely related:
  1. I can’t add my Polestar account in the car. It says that my username/password is incorrect. Yes, I have a long & random password, but I have tried multiple times & am sure I entered the correct PW. I may try resetting the system, or failing that, changing my PW to something that even @dave could guess. ;)
  2. Setting up phone as key on my iPhone 12 got to the screen where it said it was preparing & could take up to 2 minutes. Then it hung & I eventually selected “I’ll do this later.”
Another fun bug was that I tried initializing the car update twice to be met with “your car failed to meet the prerequisites, needs to be locked and above 40% SOC” (I’m paraphrasing). The car was at 43% SOC and locked both times. I ended up plugging in the car for 30 min & when I came back - despite not starting the installation - I was met with a green check. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks @TheCarAccount. That solved the logging into my Polestar acct on the car (odd that two of three login methods processed special characters fine, but whatevs).

Now stuck on the “Keys found, connecting to device” car screen/“Scanning” on the app.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks @TheCarAccount. That solved the logging into my Polestar acct on the car (odd that two of three login methods processed special characters fine, but whatevs).

Now stuck on the “Keys found, connecting to device” car screen/“Scanning” on the app.
My keys found screen blinks by so fast I had to film it and watch it back in slow motion to see it.
I cannot possibly have talked to anything that fast.

·
Registered
420 Posts

Ugh, this means they aren't processing/storing the passwords properly. They should be immediately hashed (and strengthened against brute force using pbkdf2, bcrypt, scrypt, argon2, etc) so it doesn't matter what characters are in the password.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ugh, this means they aren't processing/storing the passwords properly. They should be immediately hashed (and strengthened against brute force using pbkdf2, bcrypt, scrypt, argon2, etc) so it doesn't matter what characters are in the password.
They might (must) be salting and hashing the password, but who's to say if there isn't an encoding issue between the car UI and hashing in the OS backend? No/extra escaping of special characters maybe?

·
Registered
420 Posts
They might (must) be salting and hashing the password, but who's to say if there isn't an encoding issue between the car UI and hashing in the OS backend? No/extra escaping of special characters maybe?
True, other possibilities, but often it's a red flag. Too many Devs even these days just chuck passwords in a db and call it a day

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I just tried again after leaving car for half a day.
This time the pairing worked more like expected and instead it now times out on the activation of digital key. One step closer I guess.
Changing my vote to other :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
I believe all local failures of pairing are server side issues. That’s my impression having gone from working to locked out to not working to working in one day with the new update.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
So if I already have myself logged into the car with my Google account, do I still have to create a Polestar account in the car to properly pair the phone? And if I do that, which account am I when I get in the car? Everything is so far connected to my Google account.

·
Registered
485 Posts
So if I already have myself logged into the car with my Google account, do I still have to create a Polestar account in the car to properly pair the phone? And if I do that, which account am I when I get in the car? Everything is so far connected to my Google account.
Yes. You need a polestar account. When you’re in the car, you’re google except when using the Polestar app, at which time you’re Polestar.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Yes. You need a polestar account. When you’re in the car, you’re google except when using the Polestar app, at which time you’re Polestar.
Ok. So maybe I have something else wrong. When I try to add an account it looks nothing like in the video. It just wants a google account to login. If I skip that it defaults to P1. And under the P1 account the Polestar Connect is still grayed out.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I I initially connected with my Google account, and it worked as a key, but the app itself was all messed up and didn't do anything. My assumption was that that was because a Polestar connect couldn't be turned on. I deleted the app, reinstalled it, reinitialize the car, and now I can't even connect at all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts