Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in my car yesterday charge was reading 53% drove 5 miles, stopped, started again charge was reading 23% I then drove back and then this morning moved car to charge it and it said 47% remaining.
What on earth is going on? I know not to trust the range estimate but surely the car knows what the charge state is?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I assume you are the same person on Facebook with the exact same question?

Basically something is odd ... could be a temp glitch and it will sort itself out in time ... or a real issue and you'll need to take it to Volvo. However see how it goes over the next week and try drive it some more longer distances than a few miles.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
866 Posts
I got in my car yesterday charge was reading 53% drove 5 miles, stopped, started again charge was reading 23% I then drove back and then this morning moved car to charge it and it said 47% remaining.
What on earth is going on? I know not to trust the range estimate but surely the car knows what the charge state is?
If you did a 5 mile drive from 'cold' with heating, wipers and your heavy boots on it is conceivable that the average consumption for the trip was very high. The software then took that usage, calculated the cars projected range, then took that figure and compared it the fantasy total range figure to decide that equated to 23% battery left?

Clutching at straws there and just guessing!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you did a 5 mile drive from 'cold' with heating, wipers and your heavy boots on it is conceivable that the average consumption for the trip was very high. The software then took that usage, calculated the cars projected range, then took that figure and compared it the fantasy total range figure to decide that equated to 23% battery left?

Clutching at straws there and just guessing!!
If it did that then someone is guilty of crazy programming. It is meant to use SOC to calculate miles remaining, not the reverse!

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The estimated range which is dependant on average power useage is notoriously inaccurate (and I chuckle at the 270 mile range at full charge). However per cent charge should be just that. One of my colleagues had an I-PACE with bad cells, the car in start up would interrogate the battery and decide how much of it could safely use and consequently give wide variation in range at full charge. It could be interesting (and I’ve got a plan a b and c).

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s fully charged and won’t start. It says it’s empty but won’t charge. Not great

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
12 volt battery problem? You might get a temporary fix by jumping the 12-volt battery under the frunk.

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve not had any issues with the 12V battery before and the car has had all the fixes. I’ll try it again tomorrow (fortunately I’ve got a “spare car” so used that). I suspect/hope that the lost charge will miraculously reappear

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And another problem....
I got in the car fully charged yesterday. Cabin preheating on etc
Drove 109 miles and during that the capacity dropped like a stone. I crawled to my destination with 8% charge left. The car then took approx 40 kWh to charge to 98%. The car trip computer shoes that it had used approx 40kWh on the journey.
The car had presumably calculated that its total capacity was 45kWh at startup either because of bad cells or a software fault.
I have asked polestar to investigate

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Well this ain't right.
Yeah I either suspect it's not reporting the charge correctly ... or just needs a battery recalibration which might happen with a full discharge and charge. I know he has contacted Polestar ... they might need to take it into service.

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a colleague who had a very similar problem with his I-PACE -in which the BMS looks for bad cells at start up and disables that bank of cells. He had an entire new battery pack

·
Registered
62 Posts
Whilst sat at the roadside awaiting recovery for my puncture last night I noted I stopped with 74%, then dropped to 60% after 15 mins, then when I jumped out to have a comfort break in a secluded field and returned a few mins later it was up to 76%. All in the space of 45 mins

A day later it's on 74%

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Apparently according to polestar and my Volvo dealer there’s nothing wrong with the car and it’s operating “according to design parameters”

that’s all right then- it was designed to do this

·
Registered
233 Posts
Today got in at 69% and 120 mile range, drove 1/2 mile to walk the dog. (Not being lazy - dog won't walk from the house!)

Returned to car after 40 minutes, battery 38% and 55 miles range. Guess that it will figure it out at some point...

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My experience would seem to suggest that the car doesn’t overestimate state of charge ie the higher figure reflects the true state of charge. However if the car thinks it’s on 0% when in fact you’re at a significantly higher state of charge it still won’t go (or will grind to a halt)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts