Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
On order: 300kW, Midnight w/Charcoal WeaveTech, Plus, Pilot, 19" wheels and no PP. Due Sept '21
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what a disappointing experience today!

Had a great day driving around the Peak District on a rare day off together, myself and the wife. Started off with 100% SoC, showing 270mi range. Route there and back was within this limit with a little to spare too.

On the way home, we stopped at Nottingham M1 South services to get a quick 10-15min charge top-up, just to be safe. We used Zapmap to check before going there, found a couple of Electric Highway 50kw CCS chargers all showing as working. And they were.

However, at first one of the dedicated EV bays was ICE'd although he moved it when he saw me crawling around wondering what to do. Then we got an immediate successful connect, charging started immediately so we went in for a pee and a quick snack.

Came back out 20min later to find it was only charging at 4kW and had only added 2%....! Gutted, and made us late for nursery pickup resulting in a fine.

Why on earth would a 50kW CCS only be putting out 4kW???? Answers on a postcard please....

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's really weird.

I had a situation plugged into a 350kW L3 charger, and the car was only charged at 60ish kW; my starting SoC was about 27%, so it should have been a lot higher than that.

I assume that it's the car that determines the charge rate, and not the charger? I will now watch the charger to see what it gets to before walking away. If it's low like this, I would just restart the charging session, see if that helps (akin to turning a computer off and on again).

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
315 Posts
I had a few occasions where the car would charge inexplicably slowly. I was usually able to resolve this by moving to a different charger (at the same location). I don't know if it was actually the charger's fault or if the mere act of stopping the process and restarting it got things going.

·
Registered
PP, Magnesium, Slate, SW2130
45 Posts
Is it possible that DC charger had been used by others very recently and didn't have enough juice to give until it "recharged" itself. I'm not an expert on how they function.. just a thought. I guess there's a AC to DC converter but is it direct?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is it possible that DC charger had been used by others very recently and didn't have enough juice to give until it "recharged" itself. I'm not an expert on how they function.. just a thought. I guess there's a AC to DC converter but is it direct?
I'm pretty sure most chargers directly rectify AC to DC and don't have built in batteries. However, some charge locations may use separate batteries to help with power demand of a lot of chargers.

I don't think that's the issue here though, even on a weak grid 50kW isn't a lot, and should definitely be higher than 4kW. Here in the US most new homes have 48kW service (200 amp).

·
Registered
Stock P*2 MDNT VIN: 011***
371 Posts
EV charging is like Fight Club. There are rules. The first rule is there is no EV Charging Club and the second rule is...always check that it's actually charging. After you took delivery of the car, you got that video message from the CEO right? He said something like, "we're early adopters and charging isn't easy."

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have not experienced this problem, apart from the usual broken public chargers lottery, my P2 has always charged at acceptable speeds - the last 10% is very slow though, for good reason!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think you may have been unlucky on this occasion. I recently stopped at Cobham Ionity with 17% SoC and a warm battery (high speed run from the Channel Tunnel). Plugged in and only got 40kW (on a 350kW charger). I disconnected and moved to another charger and immediately ramped up to the expected 151kW - so I assumed a duff charger.

After a pee and ice cream I returned to the chargers (I was now approaching 70% at around 80kW). A Tesla M3 was plugged into the original charger, so out of interest I looked at his charge rate - 80kW!

So is this the car or the charger?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Reasons it could have been :-

1. Unit was faulty.

2. Plug was faulty thus causing a weak connection / handshake.

3. Human Error - you didn't push the plug in hard enough / other.

4. Car is faulty.

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
Reasons it could have been :
2. and 3. could prevent charging due to a failed handshake, but not lead to a reduced charging rate.

·
Super Moderator
1,533 Posts
Don't suppose you got a photo of the charger did you? Would be interesting to know if it's an old Ecotricity unit or a new Gridserve one.

If the former, then as I said on your facebook post, you were lucky it worked at all let alone only gave you 4kW.

If it's a new one, it's concerning and you should let Gridserve know.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Don't suppose you got a photo of the charger did you? Would be interesting to know if it's an old Ecotricity unit or a new Gridserve one.

If the former, then as I said on your facebook post, you were lucky it worked at all let alone only gave you 4kW.

If it's a new one, it's concerning and you should let Gridserve know.
They are the new one's.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
2. and 3. could prevent charging due to a failed handshake, but not lead to a reduced charging rate.
Tthere have been many people on youtube getting low rates on a some chargers (with all kinds of cars) due to a poor handshake ... see Bjorn and Kris Riffa videos on youtube ... on the Audi E-Tron, Polestar, and some other cars/charges out there.

I don't do enough rapid charging to test this ... but I've seen the two guys above get better speeds by holding the connector in until the actual charge starts.

·
Super Moderator
1,510 Posts
IMO this is an urban myth, which could be explained by the charger/car restarting the charge or some other reason, but not because of a poor handshake. And TBH, in the videos of Bjorn and Kris I saw, the effect was digital - it either worked or not. I might have missed the case you mention, so I'd appreciate a link to the specific video with timecode. You know the rules on this forum - without photo/video it didn't happen ;)

The pins affected by lifting the connector are the communication pins. The protocol running over these pins is digital (PLC) and the digital handshake either works, or doesn't. Nowhere in the ISO specification did I find anything on reducing the current because of a flaky digital connection: The state diagram only knows about 'Handshake succesful' or 'Handshake unsuccesful' as well as 'Communication lost' which has to stop the charge within 50ms.

Reactions: Malabarfront

·
Registered
Stock P*2 MDNT VIN: 011***
371 Posts
I can confirm wildly different charge rates and also differences between what the car thinks and the charger does. The P*2 OS is so buggy, who even knows. See this as an example. EA says I charged at 185KW. That's not possible.

Font Material property Screenshot Rectangle Number

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
IMO this is an urban myth,
Maybe ... as for the video's they mention it a lot and do it a lot. I know Bjorn did it on one of the long range Polestar tests and Kris Riffa did on an E-tron video. However I did scrub through some of them to find them before, but there are hours of them ... so if I find I'll post, but I'm not going to search hours and hours of footage.

For now I'm willing to accept it's a myth ... or real .. or not ... but maybe it's real!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you check that the Cars charging setting is correct?
Wondered why mine was only charging at 3kw through zappi and it turned out to be the car setting. Nothing to do with the zappi.
Not sure if this is relevant to fast chargers but maybe just double check.
Hope it gets sorted.
As a side, what sort of range do you think you would have got from your trip with a full charge?

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's the car. They've shown on tests the new long-range models have a different firmware and now charge at 151kW to a much higher SOC.
The firmware in the car controls what the external DC charger can do. It is just a supply where it is limited by voltage and current.
The car seems to reduce the voltage on the battery pack too much during the process and as a result the rate drops significantly.
Rectangle Slope Plot Line Font

1 - 20 of 29 Posts