Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few posts on the Google maps/Speed cameras thread got me curious. Do people typically break the speed limit in your country?

Here in the U.S., I think the average driver does 5 mph over on regular roads and 10 mph over on the interstate. It does vary some state by state. Honestly, if you drive the speed limit on our interstate highways, you're endangering others.

So let us know. How is it where you live?

·
Super Moderator
1,396 Posts
Over here, you start getting points on your license with 21km/h too much and pay ~75€ (8 points and your license is revoked). 5-10km/h more and your license is suspendend for one month, depending on whether it was the first offense or not. The police has to deduct 3km/h (or 3% > 100km/h) and the car shows 3-5km/h too much. When you're driving 20-25km/h over the limit, you are going with the flow and are still passed by faster cars.

Edit: 20km/h is 12mph, so it's more or less the same here.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
871 Posts
A few posts on the Google maps/Speed cameras thread got me curious. Do people typically break the speed limit in your country?

Here in the U.S., I think the average driver does 5 mph over on regular roads and 10 mph over on the interstate. It does vary some state by state. Honestly, if you drive the speed limit on our interstate highways, you're endangering others.

So let us know. How is it where you live?
Great idea for a thread.

On UK motorways, where the national speed limit of 70mph applies, most seem to go at about 75-80.

I vaguely remember discussions to raise the limit to 80mph in parliament, as that was basically what most were doing, but it didn't happen, probably because everyone would be doing 85-90mph then!

I also drove in Greece where I lived for a few years a couple of decades ago, speed limits on the motorways were 120km/h (~75mph) but nobody seemed to care, I'd routinely have the cruise control set to 180kmh (~110mph) on long journeys, and even then would have people passing me frequently. I visited a couple of times since then driving rental cars it seems that the speed limit has increased in some motorways to 130km/h (~80mph) and it looks as if more people pay attention to it than 15-20 years ago.

Also frequently drive in France, and in my experience on motorways cars drive near or slightly (~5km/h) above the limit. Their roads seem to be infested with well hidden speed cameras (compared to the obvious bright yellow ones in the UK), so that's a wise choice. Looking forward to someone from France sharing their views.

What I found interesting was the big variance between both the speed limits and driver's adherence to them in the US. I drove about 20k miles over the last decade across ~20 states and it felt like a different country going from one to the other, to be expected as it's a massive country after all. Just saying this to request that particular states are mentioned from our fellow US-based Polestar drivers!

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
871 Posts
Let me put it that way: You start getting points on your license with 21km/h too much and pay ~75€. 5-10km/h more and your license is suspendend for one month, depending on whether it was the first time or not. The police has to deduct 3km/h (or 3% > 100km/h) and the car shows 3-5km/h too much. When you're drivng 20-25km/h over the limit, you go with the flow and are still passed.
The informal rule in the UK is for the police to not bother you when over by 10% + 2mph, so on a 70mph (~112km/h) that'd be 79mph (~127km/h). I suppose this explains why most drive at about 80mph indicated, which would be a bit less than 79mph actual. It certainly doesn't seem to trigger any of the cameras on the M25.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,587 Posts
Great idea for a thread.

On UK motorways, where the national speed limit of 70mph applies, most seem to go at about 75-80.

I vaguely remember discussions to raise the limit to 80mph in parliament, as that was basically what most were doing, but it didn't happen, probably because everyone would be doing 85-90mph then!

I also drove in Greece where I lived for a few years a couple of decades ago, speed limits on the motorways were 120km/h (~75mph) but nobody seemed to care, I'd routinely have the cruise control set to 180kmh (~110mph) on long journeys, and even then would have people passing me frequently. I visited a couple of times since then driving rental cars it seems that the speed limit has increased in some motorways to 130km/h (~80mph) and it looks as if more people pay attention to it than 15-20 years ago.

Also frequently drive in France, and in my experience on motorways cars drive near or slightly (~5km/h) above the limit. Their roads seem to be infested with well hidden speed cameras (compared to the obvious bright yellow ones in the UK), so that's a wise choice. Looking forward to someone from France sharing their views.

What I found interesting was the big variance between both the speed limits and driver's adherence to them in the US. I drove about 20k miles over the last decade across ~20 states and it felt like a different country going from one to the other, to be expected as it's a massive country after all. Just saying this to request that particular states are mentioned from our fellow US-based Polestar drivers!
my main experiences are driving in California, (south) Florida, DC-area (DC, Maryland, Virginia), and minimally the Boston area.

In all places the general flow is a bit over the speed limit, +10-20mph on highway, more like +5-10mph on surface roads.

in California people zoom to the left/fast lane and then come to a crawl and don’t let you pass. They drive cars that go faster than they can or want to drive. NorCal drivers are worse than SoCal drivers and don’t understand how zipper merges work.

In S Florida, they drive according to the standards of their home country. And as much as their vision allows, for the retiree community.

Boston drivers and bikers define the term Masshole.

In Maryland and Virginia there is fairly less aggressive driving, save for the hoopties and lifted trucks. Speeding is more policed maybe accounting for Some of the less aggressive driving. That said the beltways during rush hour are basically Mad Max (as is I10 in LA).

I remain convinced that the primary function of speeding tickets in the US is to close funding gaps for police/Highway patrol rather than public safety, similar to the war on drugs.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Over here, you start getting points on your license with 21km/h too much and pay ~75€ (8 points and your license is revoked). 5-10km/h more and your license is suspendend for one month, depending on whether it was the first offense or not. The police has to deduct 3km/h (or 3% > 100km/h) and the car shows 3-5km/h too much. When you're driving 20-25km/h over the limit, you are going with the flow and are still passed by faster cars.

Edit: 20km/h is 12mph, so it's more or less the same here.
Similar in the US but it varies by state.

Most states will give you X points for speeding within certain ranges (ex. 3pts for 5-10, 5 for 10-15, etc) which can result in license suspension and increased insurance rates. Some will actually tag you with Reckless Driving for excessive speeding (usually ~15+) and that can end up being a felony.

Still, 5-10 over is a common buffer police in most states observe on major roads and highways.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
I think in the UK sometimes it feels like "most" people drive at 75-80 but honestly I don't think that's the case most of the time. The long distance commuters probably do, but my experience is that on many motorways if I'm doing a GPS 70mph, I can be the fastest person on the road for miles at a time. Then on other days or at commuter time, I'm the average speed. It's rare to see someone doing more than 85mph these days as if you get to about 100mph it's normally a jail sentence, a big fine and you have the degrading experience of having to re-sit your test (and quite right too)...

So overall I'd say averaging across all road types, I'd say people speed a bit in 30mph zones (clearly bad), are often about right in 40 zones, and either do 38mph or 55mph in 50 zones. Most 60 zones seem to have been replaced by 50 limits now 🙁.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
in California people zoom to the left/fast lane and then come to a crawl and don’t let you pass. They drive cars that go faster than they can or want to drive. NorCal drivers are worse than SoCal drivers and don’t understand how zipper merges work.
Ugh, I felt like I was driving like a maniac doing 5 over in NorCal.

I remain convinced that the primary function of speeding tickets in the US is to close funding gaps for police/Highway patrol rather than public safety, similar to the war on drugs.
Absolutely.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Many of the roads in my part of the UK have changing speed limit signs every few hundred yards, but these are only advisory and/or minimum speed requirement (I tell my wife) and can safely be ignored in the absence of speed cameras, mobile detector units or Neighbourhood Watch crusaders with hair dryers.

For those who do respect the speed limit, you are likely to find a White Van Man or trucker up your jacksie.

One common mistake is that car speedos traditionally over read by 10%, meaning you could do 33 in a 30 (etc) with absolute impunity. By law car speedos cannot under read. Now speedos are more accurate.

The BIG problem is that Teslas, Polecats, and the like have real time GPS tracking and are recording location, traffic, and speed in real time. When Google and Amazon etc finally take over the world, speed tickets will be issued by text and They will be emptying your bank account in real time too. You may well leave home with a clean licence and get home at night with a ban. No right of appeal, and Amazon will be waiting to collect and impound your pride an joy.

It won't be long...

·
Registered
764 Posts
vaguely remember discussions to raise the limit to 80mph in parliament
There's not much distance to get up to 80 in parliament so it's kind of a moot point anyway. 😉

P.S. Speed limits definitely (or defiantly [email protected]?) do not apply when practicing "launch control"
There's no restriction on how fast you can get to the speed limit.

In Sweden, speeding on roads 80kph+ is common. In residential areas and cities I'd say its rare.

Our fines are quite heavy and 30kph over the speed limit is an instant driving ban

I was doing a bit over 90 on an 80 road (the southern ring around gothenburg) and was overtaken by police. They did not react.

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
308 Posts
Canadians speed most of the time. Especially when the roads are open enough to do so. I especially noticed this earlier in the Pandemic when commuting. Our 100km/h limit on the highways is low considering modern cars and road infrastructure. 20-30% over the limit is common. I find Canadian reputation goes out the window on the road. Lots of selfish errogant pricks who consider themselves very important. I would say everywhere else in the world I've driven, 3 other continents drivers are more reserved and courteous. I do enjoy driving with Americans. The Australians on the gold coast can be a bit wild.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think in the UK sometimes it feels like "most" people drive at 75-80 but honestly I don't think that's the case most of the time. The long distance commuters probably do, but my experience is that on many motorways if I'm doing a GPS 70mph, I can be the fastest person on the road for miles at a time. Then on other days or at commuter time, I'm the average speed. It's rare to see someone doing more than 85mph these days as if you get to about 100mph it's normally a jail sentence, a big fine and you have the degrading experience of having to re-sit your test (and quite right too)...

So overall I'd say averaging across all road types, I'd say people speed a bit in 30mph zones (clearly bad), are often about right in 40 zones, and either do 38mph or 55mph in 50 zones. Most 60 zones seem to have been replaced by 50 limits now 🙁.
Good point you raise. GPS speed. Most of my vehicles when you do 70mph on GPS, the actual car is registering over 75.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Many of the roads in my part of the UK have changing speed limit signs every few hundred yards, but these are only advisory and/or minimum speed requirement (I tell my wife) and can safely be ignored in the absence of speed cameras, mobile detector units or Neighbourhood Watch crusaders with hair dryers.

For those who do respect the speed limit, you are likely to find a White Van Man or trucker up your jacksie.

One common mistake is that car speedos traditionally over read by 10%, meaning you could do 33 in a 30 (etc) with absolute impunity. By law car speedos cannot under read. Now speedos are more accurate.

The BIG problem is that Teslas, Polecats, and the like have real time GPS tracking and are recording location, traffic, and speed in real time. When Google and Amazon etc finally take over the world, speed tickets will be issued by text and They will be emptying your bank account in real time too. You may well leave home with a clean licence and get home at night with a ban. No right of appeal, and Amazon will be waiting to collect and impound your pride an joy.

It won't be long...
France is bad for varying speed limits. The National non-duel carriageway is 80kph. They have quite a lot of two-lane one way, single lane the other way, changing every 2 kilometres. So these keep going from 80 to 90 back to 80. Then, of course, going through a village it's down to 50 (no signs necessary as the village sign is the limit), and a 30 outside the Marie.

Thankfully in the UK, we don't have that system when on the off-ramp on the highway you have the series of speed limits diminishing. There can be too much road furniture leading people to ignoring the vital piece of information.

·
Registered
416 Posts
In Norway, the vast majority of people don't speed more than 10% on highways or country roads, and not at all on city roads. If you ask Bjørn Nyland, people drive too slow here! 😅 The fines are pretty steep (see this: Radarvarsling.no -Unngå dyre fartsbøter! ) and you can lose your driving license if you get enough "points". A new driving license is easily around 28000 NOK (3,300 USD) these days, probably more.

e.g.,
  • going 80mph in a 70mph zone in Norway would carry a fine of around 430 GBP.
  • going 130km/h in a 100km/h zone in Norway would carry a fine of 1,630 CAD, and 3 or 6 out of 8 points against your driving record.
I am personally always using cruise control set to speed limit or lower, same as most of my friends and colleagues.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts