1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered mine Aug 20, it was delivered mid Nov 20
Has now covered 2500 miles
At best it will cover 120 miles on a 90% / 240 mile charge
I also own an iPace which covers 220-230 miles on a full charge with me driving same style and routes
Forward looking radar failed 3rd week after delivery, totally useless local Volvo dealer quoted 6 weeks to book the car in, after several calls to PS Support they got it in to another dealer within 10 days - but 4 hours driving to drop off/collect
4g connectivity problems - no google maps/Spotify when it’s down
iPhone - wireless charging does not work
Windscreen wiper errors / headlight errors(sensor is clean)
Every journey I’m reminded of it shocking range - on average it consumes 136% of the range it should
I tried to reject the vehicle several weeks ago and I’m still arguing with Polestar
Put simply this is the worst new car I have ever owned (which includes a long list of JLR vehicles)
How I long for the niggles on a JLR !
I desperately wish I had listened to a friend who said I was crazy ordering a “brand new” model until they had resolved their teething problems- how I now wish I’d taken his advice

·
Registered
62 Posts
It does sounds like you have a duff one! My range is way better than that and have also had none of the issues so far (800 miles)

Got 180 miles from 90-10% on mainly A roads in the rain, a little less on a similar run at 70mph on the motorway but with the radio, AC etc all on. Running the November software level.

My only real frustration is charging speed, I rarely get over 50MwH rates on chargers capable of faster, but this might be more the weather!

Completely understand your frustrations and certainly you should be trying to reject the vehicle with all those issues

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
873 Posts
That range doesn't make any sense, what's the reported kWh/100 miles? Curious to see if it's absurdly high energy usage or battery capacity issue.

Driving mostly on motorway in freezing temps (so really, worst case scenario here) I was getting 40-45kWh/100 miles, which means about 150 miles 90%-10%, or a bit over 180 miles range. That's with aircon, heated seats on and driving it like I stole it. Honestly I can't imagine it's possible to get >60kWh/100 miles except for very small trips.

When temps rose above 10C it was much, much better, easily doing 15-20% more than that.

It does look like you have a serious issue with the range, I hope Polestar sorts out a return or replacement for you.

Looking at your other problems it does look like a lemon, other than the 4G issue, which pretty much everyone had, I haven't had any, and this was fixed by changes they did at their provider a while ago.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,871 Posts
No regrets.
I've had more issues with the Polestar than with all the other (13) cars I've owned combined.
But I love it & look forward to driving it to & from work, even when mostly stuck in traffic.
I'm up to 4000 miles in 15 weeks. I usually take my car for granted by now. But it makes me feel a little different than all the other cars on the road. It's a mystery to most. I'm driving the mysterymobile. I'm Shaggy. I'm special.
Sorry, lost my train of thought. Take your car back & get it fixed. You can still learn to love it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That range doesn't make any sense, what's the reported kWh/100 miles? Curious to see if it's absurdly high energy usage or battery capacity issue.

Driving mostly on motorway in freezing temps (so really, worst case scenario here) I was getting 40-45kWh/100 miles, which means about 150 miles 90%-10%, or a bit over 180 miles range. That's with aircon, heated seats on and driving it like I stole it. Honestly I can't imagine it's possible to get >60kWh/100 miles except for very small trips.

When temps rose above 10C it was much, much better, easily doing 15-20% more than that.

It does look like you have a serious issue with the range, I hope Polestar sorts out a return or replacement for you.

Looking at your other problems it does look like a lemon, other than the 4G issue, which pretty much everyone had, I haven't had any, and this was fixed by changes they did at their provider a while ago.
Thanks for your thoughts on this
I don't ever record short journeys
For a regular commute of 40 miles each way of mixed country roads / motorway and city driving the trip shows 55+/kwh/100 miles
So it's significantly higher than yours, it seems to back the view there is an issue with this car

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
If there's quite a lot of acceleration and braking, e.g. coming into and out of different speed limits, junctions, roundabouts and so on, then that will result in much worse efficiency than sitting on a motorway at 70mph. In the current temperatures, doing a 20-30 mile trip on a mixture of road limits and junctions, with the heating set to 21C/Auto, I would expect to see about 45-50kWh/100mi to be honest.

If you could take a picture of your trip meter and also try the Google Maps thing, that would be very helpful for us to see how it compares.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

^^ Me driving to and from my mum's, so stretches doing 50 in road works, others testing the acceleration of the car - No Pre-Heating, HVAC on 19deg C - To be honest with how many times I tested the car's acceleration I'm shocked the rate was that low. Still well below the 50+kWh @TimW is getting.

^^ You can see here a 3mile trip. No Pre-heating ... but HVAC off just used Heated Seats / Wheel.

^^ No-Preahting, Heated Seats / Wheel and HVAC set to 19deg.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will take some pix on a journey planned for tomorrow and post them
What's the Google Maps thing ?
(Anything from Google will be dictated by whether or not I get a 4g signal)

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
Those pictures are at 5C and the current temperatures are around -3 to +2C (generally in the UK!) and it's extremely sensitive to temperature, particularly over short distances. On the same route over the last two weeks, I've had 30.6 and 48kWh/mi, same trip, same conditions but different temperatures and had the heating off for the 30.6 one.

When you're in the car, put in your destination on Google Maps. It will show you how many % left it expects the car to have at the end of your journey. If you could report the car's actual state of charge before the journey (e.g. 90% if it's charged) and Google's estimated end range, and the miles and temperature, that might help. Then ideally if you could do that drive and take a snapshot of what the trip meter says at the end of it, that would be a big help.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Those pictures are at 5C and the current temperatures are around -3 to +2C
Hence the reason I showed the Temperature for full transparency and reference.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
702 Posts
Will take some pix on a journey planned for tomorrow and post them
What's the Google Maps thing ?
(Anything from Google will be dictated by whether or not I get a 4g signal)
Do you have wifi connectivity - I suspect not, but if you do you can make sections of the map available offline which might circumvent that issue about 4G. If no wifi, then if you have 4G use that to build the offline maps, that is what I did. FYI, I have captured all maps from Google for a journey between deepest Kent and Warwick Uni (for just in case my Daughter is ever able to go back to Uni) and it was about 1-1.5GB.

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
Hence the reason I showed the Temperature for full transparency and reference.
Yep, all parts of the puzzle, thank you (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also own an iPace which covers 220-230 miles on a full charge with me driving same style and routes
Forward looking radar failed 3rd week after delivery, totally useless local Volvo dealer quoted 6 weeks to book the car in, after several calls to PS Support they got it in to another dealer within 10 days - but 4 hours driving to drop off/collect
Every journey I’m reminded of it shocking range - on average it consumes 136% of the range it should
I tried to reject the vehicle several weeks ago and I’m still arguing with Polestar
Put simply this is the worst new car I have ever owned (which includes a long list of JLR vehicles)
I desperately wish I had listened to a friend who said I was crazy ordering a “brand new” model until they had resolved their teething problems- how I now wish I’d taken his advice
I took delivery of my Polestar in late September and have been trying to work with Polestar to improve my car’s shocking range ever since. At best my car reaches half the advertised range (at a constant speed of around 40-60 miles), but in town traffic, where it is supposed to be most efficient, I achieve around a quarter of what was promised.
I love the way my Polestar drives and its design, but have told the company that I refuse to keep a car with a price tag of £50.000 that takes me no further than Honda’s little e-car. I am now embroiled in a battle with Polestar to get a full refund. The only time I seem to get a reply from the manager I am now dealing with, is when I threaten to plaster my dispute all over the internet and copy Polestar’s CEO into my email exchanges.
I wish I had simply returned the car at the start, but I naively thought the range issue could be sorted out.
All I can say to anyone reading this post: DO NOT BUY A POLESTAR! But if you do, monitor its range right from the start and reject it within the two week ‘no questions asked’ period, should it underperform as much as mine does.

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
I assume you've not owned an EV before. If you tried taking "Honda's little e-car" on the same journeys, you'd be lucky to get more than about 60-70 miles out of it at best, in these temperatures.

I agree that the range is poor in Winter but did you not do any research online? Why did you think the range issue would be sorted out when even in September everyone was reporting a range well below WLTP? And why has it taken you 4 months to decide to reject it?

There's no point "monitoring its range" as they're all the same. If you choose to reject it within the two week period due to the range being much lower than expected, then that's your prerogative and you have every right to. But coming on here and telling dozens of (mostly happy) owners, and any more open-minded or better-researched readers, to simply "not buy a Polestar" is just inflammatory and not really helpful.

I wish you luck with rejecting the car as it clearly isn't for you and I look forward to hearing what you get instead - and how the range on that car is in comparison to its WLTP, which remember is the only measure that car manufacturers are allowed to quote, even if they know it will be significantly less in real life. I genuinely do wish you luck (I'm not being sarcastic) because I sympathise with the frustration, but it's getting tedious having angry owners just having a rant on an enthusiast's discussion forum. Take it to Facebook which thrives on such venting.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
You know, you can't please all the people all the time. And last night all those people were at my show. Mitch Hedberg.

Points all taken but would be interested to see drivers T and M range in another Polestar. Range should be as good as an ipac. Also thought CAPS LOCK went out of fashion on Jan 6th. Just my ha’porth.

1 - 20 of 320 Posts