Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
If, as often happens, I get lazy and just leave the charging cable plugged in after an overnight charge and the car has reached its charge limit some hours ago, does anyone know of the car continues to draw a trickle charge or does it fully cut off? I'm assuming it fully cuts off as when I come out on the morning to turn off the charger and unplug, the charging light in the charging socket is off and the charge indicator LED on the charging unit is also off. But wondering what electrical experts on here think? Should I be springing out of bed at the crack of dawn to unplug and save over burn or can I be lazy? I've a Shell New Motion (advance plus) charger.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
You can leave plugged in. Some people have had some phantom drain ... but at most it's a % every few days. I've never had any and the car seems to really shut down after a couple of days anyway.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
And very low draw. I've got an individual meter on my circuit. I'll check later today.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
You should leave it plugged in. The car does not draw substantial current (my charger goes dormant as well). When PS gets its act together and pushes an OTA update to keep the battery conditioned while plugged in, you'll have that benefit as well and reduce your initial usage when you head out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

So badly need that battery preconditioning! This, after a - 3C night!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
The car's been plugged in now for a couple of days as I've been away. You can see that it's only drawing 2.6 watts. That's from such a low current... might be mostly that needed by the Chargpoint for its LED lights.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
You have to be comfortable, though, turning off the breaker and getting into the wiring to hook it all up.
And remember this is a 30/40/50amp circuit with commensurately thick wiring and the ability to do damage if not done right. Be very careful if you splice this in yourself.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
And remember this is a 30/40/50amp circuit with commensurately thick wiring and the ability to do damage if not done right. Be very careful if you splice this in yourself.
Good advice. I didn't need to splice the main wires, though. I had to remove one of the #4 awg wires from the back of the receptacle to slide the donut (current transformer) over one of the powered lines. I then reinserted the #4 wire back into the receptacle. That takes care of measuring the current. You then have two more wires to hook up for voltage (and to power the meter itself). I stripped back about a half inch of each thin wire (#22 awg?), loosened the connector screws at the back of the receptacle, slid the meter wires in alongside the #4 awg lines, and tightened everything up. The other work was, of course, doing a bit of woodworking to mount the meter and drilling a hole in the electrical box for the receptacle to feed the meter wires through (careful here!). I did have to splice the meter wires, but that was no big deal.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Good advice. I didn't need to splice the main wires, though. I had to remove one of the #4 awg wires from the back of the receptacle to slide the donut (current transformer) over one of the powered lines. I then reinserted the #4 wire back into the receptacle. That takes care of measuring the current. You then have two more wires to hook up for voltage (and to power the meter itself). I stripped back about a half inch of each thin wire (#22 awg?), loosened the connector screws at the back of the receptacle, slid the meter wires in alongside the #4 awg lines, and tightened everything up. The other work was, of course, doing a bit of woodworking to mount the meter and drilling a hole in the electrical box for the receptacle to feed the meter wires through (careful here!). I did have to splice the meter wires, but that was no big deal.
Not as bad as I thought.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Hi all,
If, as often happens, I get lazy and just leave the charging cable plugged in after an overnight charge and the car has reached its charge limit some hours ago, does anyone know of the car continues to draw a trickle charge or does it fully cut off? I'm assuming it fully cuts off as when I come out on the morning to turn off the charger and unplug, the charging light in the charging socket is off and the charge indicator LED on the charging unit is also off. But wondering what electrical experts on here think? Should I be springing out of bed at the crack of dawn to unplug and save over burn or can I be lazy? I've a Shell New Motion (advance plus) charger.
Also, after my charger shuts off, if I so much as open the car door the charger turns on. That's a good sign that the car is relying on shore power for almost everything when it's plugged in.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
GDank warned that these meters are woefully inaccurate, but I've done a few quick checks on it, and it seems to be spot on.
I think I said "can be" 😉

Also the better the reading means less interference so means your supply is relatively clean (ie good).

Finally 2.6w is most defiantly the charger and not the car.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have left my car plugged in and hardly been anywhere between Christmas and New Year - it charged to 90% on the first night of charging but I am finding that sometimes it is still charging quite a bit in subsequent nights.

Most nights it only uses 0.01-0.04kWh during the 4 hour charging window but some nights it has used 0.31kWh, 1kWh, 2.05kWh despite the car not being used/moved/locked/unlocked during that time.

This could have something to do with it being cold and reading 89% instead of 90% and then having to heat the battery to top back up to 90%?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
This could have something to do with it being cold and reading 89% instead of 90% and then having to heat the battery to top back up to 90%?
I suspect it's more to do with it losing a single % or less than a % and just topping up.

Why it's losing that % is guess work. Could be to keep the battery warm although I doubt it ... probable the HV either losing due to the cold or being used to charge the 12V battery - the later being my guess.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I wish that it was heating the battery up. But even if you just open the door to put something in the car and then close it again it will draw current because the car is turning on certain functions for a period of time.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, after my charger shuts off, if I so much as open the car door the charger turns on. That's a good sign that the car is relying on shore power for almost everything when it's plugged in.
Yep - I noticed that today for the first time. It's a good thing to, meaning I start fully charged once I unplug.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts