Polestar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As I also may now need a new tyre, due to a screw causing a slow puncture that I discovered this afternoon in the front offside tyre, this thread does not fill me with optimism.

Tyre has done 370 miles...
Good luck finding one. I hope Polestar have made provisions to get some in....
There will be plenty in China at the factory.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not even done 2000 miles yet and picked up a F*****g screw in my rear near side tyre. Too close to sidewall so unrepairable. Irritating but the car is fully maintained so thankfully no cost to me.
Lease Plan deal with National Tyres so they sent me to my local depot.
1st visit, tyre never came in, reappoint.😕
2nd visit, ordered a Dunlop! Reappoint😤
So I got on the phone to Lease Plan’s Tyre line and explained I wanted a direct replacement, a Michelin Primacy 4. They said that was fine and booked me another appointment.
3rd visit, the had a Michelin Pilot 3 & 4 delivered😡
National told me, this is a Polestar specific tyre, even has (POL) on the sidewall. They have no stock and won’t get them in for 8-10 weeks!!
I called my local Volvo dealer who told me that they have one in stock which I could get sent up to my local garage. Lease Plan organised this so...
4th visit. 1st to Volvo, they couldn’t find the tyre so never sent it🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬!
Still waiting to hear if I’m getting a tyre next week, next month or next year.
Surely Polestar must insist on spare parts being available?
Not impressed...
I'm going to order a single tire right away. I want a spare kicking around in my garage just in case.

·
Registered
301 Posts
As I also may now need a new tyre, due to a screw causing a slow puncture that I discovered this afternoon in the front offside tyre, this thread does not fill me with optimism.

Tyre has done 370 miles...
If it’s just a screw and in the centre tread section hopefully repairable.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Don't tell anyone, but I've successfully repaired several tires (runflats!!) myself... Everybody says not to do it and it's dangerous... so don't be like me.

Reactions: polerad

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Can you repair it on the rim? Hypothetically of course.
Hypothetically speaking, yes. Every time. It takes guts to do this as I've had to make the hole bigger to get that plug in there.... hypothetically.

A hypothetical me did take the wheel off the car every hypothetical time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm going to order a single tire right away. I want a spare kicking around in my garage just in case.
I've found a local seller that has stock of the Continental Sport Contact 6 245/40 R20 XL that was on my test drive vehicle. $458 Canadian. Do you have a cost for your replacement?

·
Registered
55 Posts
If it’s just a screw and in the centre tread section hopefully repairable.
My local Halfords Autocentre has advised the tyre is not repairable, due to the location of the puncture and the noise reducing / leak-sealing mousse within the tyre.

Went straight round to my Polestar Volvo Service Centre, they contacted Michelin UK who confirmed that their Premacy 4 tyre in the bespoke Polestar 2 fitment is on 5-6 week back order. This appears to be the only approved tyre for the car in the UK at least.

Waiting now to hear back from Polestar Customer Support regarding some form of solution to the situation.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
My local Halfords Autocentre has advised the tyre is not repairable, due to the location of the puncture and the noise reducing / leak-sealing mousse within the tyre.
Just between us squirrels, most repair shops and tire places will not recommend a repair. 1. They make more money by selling a new tire (or two, because you really need matched tires on each end of the axle, so to speak), and 2. If something goes wrong with a repaired tire and puts somebody in any sort of danger (or worse), the legal liability would be a nightmare!

So just 'cuz they say it can't be done, doesn't necessarily mean it's so.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Went straight round to my Polestar Volvo Service Centre, they contacted Michelin UK who confirmed that their Premacy 4 tyre in the bespoke Polestar 2 fitment is on 5-6 week back order. This appears to be the only approved tyre for the car in the UK at least.

Waiting now to hear back from Polestar Customer Support regarding some form of solution to the situation.
My Vovlo dealer had to put a request in to "Polestar Technical" to get one allocated from Sweden - hope that helps. Good luck, we should push CS to arrange for a stock of tyres in the UK even if they have to ship them from China with the next shipment of vehicles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just between us squirrels, most repair shops and tire places will not recommend a repair. 1. They make more money by selling a new tire (or two, because you really need matched tires on each end of the axle, so to speak), and 2. If something goes wrong with a repaired tire and puts somebody in any sort of danger (or worse), the legal liability would be a nightmare!

So just 'cuz they say it can't be done, doesn't necessarily mean it's so.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
They couldn't sell me a tyre - didn't list the fitment on their system (or any stock obviously) - but they do repair punctures, as that's what I booked my car in for via their website.

·
Registered
423 Posts

Most UK repairers like Kwik Fit conform to British Standard BS AU 159. Depends on the size of the hole (less than 6mm) and the location (middle 75% surface of the tyre is usually fine, they just avoid the sidewalls). National Tyres will repair a tyre that has been previously sealed with a water based sealant, so try them?

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,436 Posts
I would do almost everything possible to avoid this.
Including driving a crappy rental for 2 weeks? I’d buy a cheepo tyre while the goodun was on order & then keep it as an emergency spare.
But to each his own. Weirdo. You’re all (OCD) weirdos. No offence

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Lol... I'd buy two cheapos and have the pair matched. I'm OK with having different tires between front and back, but I think you're tempting fate to have different tires left and right.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,436 Posts
Lol... I'd buy two cheapos and have the pair matched. I'm OK with having different tires between front and back, but I think you're tempting fate to have different tires left and right.
I agree. If you push the car to anywhere near it’s limits. But for 2 weeks pottering?
What do I care? Who am I convincing? My girlfriend is waiting to go for a walk. Isn’t life bizarre?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Finally it seems there's a solution to sourcing a replacement Premacy 4 tyre for my flat; to their credit Rybrook Volvo Chester have preserved and identified that they can order a tyre directly from the Volvo factory in Sweden, as someone previously posted that their dealer had done.

The tyre is due for delivery by Monday. In comparison, if they were to order from Michelin UK, the lead time being quoted is now the end of February!!

In addition, Rybrook also completed the software update and the fix for the rattle behind the dash, the missing jack and First Aid kit are now in the boot, and they washed and charged the car - that's service 👍

·
Registered
55 Posts
Finally it seems there's a solution to sourcing a replacement Premacy 4 tyre for my flat; to their credit Rybrook Volvo Chester have preserved and identified that they can order a tyre directly from the Volvo factory in Sweden, as someone previously posted that their dealer had done.

The tyre is due for delivery by Monday. In comparison, if they were to order from Michelin UK, the lead time being quoted is now the end of February!!

In addition, Rybrook also completed the software update and the fix for the rattle behind the dash, the missing jack and First Aid kit are now in the boot, and they washed and charged the car - that's service 👍
All sorted now, tyre arrived from Sweden on schedule - made it before our transport links with the rest of the world were suspended.

Guys at the dealer were excellent, snuck the car straight in this morning to get the change done.

I'm out putting some miles on the car - what a great car 😆

·
Registered
598 Posts
the missing jack and First Aid kit are now in the boot, and they washed and charged the car - that's service 👍
You know the jack has a specific place for it to sit in the frunk? The small spot behind the main frunk cavity. Make sure you have the foam insert so the jack doesn't rattle around.

Reactions: ProfessorCook
21 - 40 of 53 Posts