Polestar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

had the car for nearly one month now and really happy with it, covered nearly 1300 trouble free miles but had a problem this morning I wonder if anyone else has seen.

When trying to open the drivers door this morning the system seemed to get confused ( lots of lights, clicks and whirs going on), but pulling the handle did not open the door. The rear doors and passenger door were unlocked and opened, but not the driver. When I sat in the passenger seat and reached across to try the inside door release, it just doesn’t engage the release mechanism.

Tried to troubleshoot but had to leave for work in the other car so the problem is still waiting for me to resolve at home.

Anyone seen this before ? I have a feeling it may have been triggered by me using the locking handgrip to unlock the car ( ie thumb on the pad while pulling the handle to open).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi All

had the car for nearly one month now and really happy with it, covered nearly 1300 trouble free miles but had a problem this morning I wonder if anyone else has seen.

When trying to open the drivers door this morning the system seemed to get confused ( lots of lights, clicks and whirs going on), but pulling the handle did not open the door. The rear doors and passenger door were unlocked and opened, but not the driver. When I sat in the passenger seat and reached across to try the inside door release, it just doesn’t engage the release mechanism.

Tried to troubleshoot but had to leave for work in the other car so the problem is still waiting for me to resolve at home.

Anyone seen this before ? I have a feeling it may have been triggered by me using the locking handgrip to unlock the car ( ie thumb on the pad while pulling the handle to open).
You lucky you have another car. This all scares me. I sometimes have to go long distances and if this happens to me I will end spending hundreds on Uber, scray. Sorry this happened to you.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hi All

Not sure where your based in the UK or what the weather has been like it sounds like a frozen mechanism. Can happen in really cold weather.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Believe this is a first on here. I had a similar problem with my VW Passat, and it was a door actuator failure. As you describe it, if all other doors open, it may be something similar.

·
Registered
2022 AWD Midnight w/ Pilot & Plus. Nappa Leather. X-Ice 19" for winter
53 Posts
Not being able to escape a car is a massive problem and needs to be dealt with by Polestar/Volvo ASAP. You shouldn't have to fiddle with it - it's a serious issue and Polestar would be liable for any injuries caused as a result.

·
Registered
Polestar 2
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update - technician attended and vehicle now towed to local dealership. Disappointing after a month and 1300 miles.

·
Registered
Polestar 2
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update. Now 100hrs since the door handle on my 4 week old Polestar decoupled from the door release mechanism making it impossible to open the drivers door from the inside or out. At this stage:
  • I still do not know what caused it or when the vehicle will be repaired.
  • I still do not have a courtesy vehicle or a time confirmed on when one will be provided.

After owning the vehicle for 4 weeks my review is as follows:
1. It looks cool.
2. It’s fun to drive
3. If you need 24/7 365 day access to a vehicle then don’t buy a Polestar. If you have access to a backup vehicle or can handle being without a car for a few days then this shouldn’t be a problem for you - but if you’re an essential services worker like me, who works a shift roster that involves day/ night/ weekend/ public holiday work and need access to a vehicle 24/7 then go elsewhere.

If you want to do a risk assessment on how Polestar road side assistance might fail you ( which is actually provided by Allianz pretending to be Polestar) then I recommend you check the location and opening hours of your local Enterprise rent a car offices. That will determine how quickly you will get a replacement vehicle. In my case - between 12pm Saturday and 800am Tuesday the only way enterprise could supply me a vehicle was if I physically attended the only branch in my area during their opening hours. Unfortunately their opening hours coincided with my shift times, and the nature of my work makes it impossible for me leave for an hour or two to pick up a car, so Enterprises response was sorry we can’t help you, ask Polestar ( Allianz) to use another hire company, which they refused to do - but kept promising me a solution would be found, which never eventuated.

So check the capability of Enterprise in your area. If it is solid - low risk. If you are in a more remote part of the UK, think carefully about whether Polestar is the right vehicle for you. Mind you, how Scotland’s third largest city with a population of half a million can be considered remote for service purposes is pretty surprising.

·
Registered
Polestar 2
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I’ve had an update from the dealer. The door locking mechanism has failed and will need to replaced - part coming from Leeds and will hopefully be on the road again tomorrow afternoon. The technician told me the new part coming is a modified part number, suggesting this is a known problem that Polestar are aware of. To all you guys out there driving cars with old part numbers let’s hope it doesn’t happen when you need to get out of the car in a hurry.

Polestar support have been involved in helping me to get a courtesy vehicle from yesterday morning. As of now no car and no update on when one might be delivered. This has been ongoing since Saturday using Polestar Assistance, who is actually Allianz. Polestar themselves got involved yesterday and 36 hrs later no change.

I do have a truly impressive collection of apology emails if anyone wants to see them :LOL:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts