Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first squeak/rattle in my driver door over uneven pavement. No amount of pressure seems to make it go away. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Moon PP Leather
93 Posts
I had a exact same issue before. Driver side door and seatbelt housing were making squeak / rattling noise when it drove over uneven road at the lower speed like 30-50 mph. I also noticed that driver side door did not lined up with the rear door perfectly, vs. passenger side doors. I reported to Polestar Customer Service and they made an arrangement to fix it through Polestar Austin. Polestar Austin looked at it and fixed it at their best, I guess.... What they did, based on the service card, was to realign the driver side door, reinstall / buff the rubber gasket at the driver side door, reassemble seatbelt cover. When the car came back, I noticed the squeak / rattle has been reduced significantly, but not totally gone. Since then, it grew up again and the squeak / rattle became at the same level as it was before the service, after few weeks. Now it has been a month after the fix. I will give it a try again to make another schedule to fix in a month or so, but I have very slim hope on it to be fixed, for I think this is an initial built quality issue from manufacturing in China.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a exact same issue before. Driver side door and seatbelt housing were making squeak / rattling noise when it drove over uneven road at the lower speed like 30-50 mph. I also noticed that driver side door did not lined up with the rear door perfectly, vs. passenger side doors. I reported to Polestar Customer Service and they made an arrangement to fix it through Polestar Austin. Polestar Austin looked at it and fixed it at their best, I guess.... What they did, based on the service card, was to realign the driver side door, reinstall / buff the rubber gasket at the driver side door, reassemble seatbelt cover. When the car came back, I noticed the squeak / rattle has been reduced significantly, but not totally gone. Since then, it grew up again and the squeak / rattle became at the same level as it was before the service, after few weeks. Now it has been a month after the fix. I will give it a try again to make another schedule to fix in a month or so, but I have very slim hope on it to be fixed, for I think this is an initial built quality issue from manufacturing in China.
Oh how wonderful to hear :rolleyes: 🙃.

I don't have a service center near me yet, so I guess I'm not getting it even looked at anytime soon. These are the types of things that are definitely hard to address. And as they take things apart they can always make them worse getting them back together.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't have it nearby either. Austin space is about 3.5 hour driving. So they arranged to pick up my car and worked on it and delivered it back to me. It took about 2 weeks. I had another services before Austin Space opened. LA space (Galpin) took care of it with all deliveries. It took 3 weeks back and forth! That is the reason why I don't want to do it soon.... About 7-8 months of experience with PS2 so far, has been just miserable and unacceptable. Highly unrecommendable!

·
Registered
California
706 Posts
Is it over uneven pavement as in when the road is rough it starts to rattle from vibration? Or is it more like when you make the body flex, like say going over a speed bump?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have it nearby either. Austin space is about 3.5 hour driving. So they arranged to pick up my car and worked on it and delivered it back to me. It took about 2 weeks. I had another services before Austin Space opened. LA space (Galpin) took care of it with all deliveries. It took 3 weeks back and forth! That is the reason why I don't want to do it soon.... About 7-8 months of experience with PS2 so far, has been just miserable and unacceptable. Highly unrecommendable!
I understand. I would have to have something a lot worse than a small rattle before I'd want them to transport my car that far. Maybe if a mobile service guy can do something I'd go for it.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it over uneven pavement as in when the road is rough it starts to rattle from vibration? Or is it more like when you make the body flex, like say going over a speed bump?
For me this is definitely not a body flex issue. It's just something rattling over rough pavement. It's not loud, but it is very annoying.

·
Registered
California
706 Posts
For me this is definitely not a body flex issue. It's just something rattling over rough pavement. It's not loud, but it is very annoying.
Gotcha. I get a squeak-on-flex that’s the door seals rubbing, which could be more of a mobile service thing (lubricating the seals).

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotcha. I get a squeak-on-flex that’s the door seals rubbing, which could be more of a mobile service thing (lubricating the seals).
Yeah. I get the feeling on mine the door trim has to be taken off.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I had door squeaking over bumps at the winter to spring season transition, and that was solved by lubing the door seals.

I’ve had an intermittent rattle over rougher pavement that seems to be attenuating with time alone. It’s not bad enough or frequent enough for me to want to bother dealing with. But jf it gets worse or more frequent I’ll take it in. My suspicion is it’s the seat belt holster issue others have noted.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I got annoyed and slammed my door a little harder while stopped at a light. That seems to have abated it somewhat though I'm not too hopeful it's a long term solution.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had door squeaking over bumps at the winter to spring season transition, and that was solved by lubing the door seals.

I’ve had an intermittent rattle over rougher pavement that seems to be attenuating with time alone. It’s not bad enough or frequent enough for me to want to bother dealing with. But jf it gets worse or more frequent I’ll take it in. My suspicion is it’s the seat belt holster issue others have noted.
Mine was a combination of squeak and rattling. Squeaking was not too bad, but rattling was pretty bad and is still bad. Rattling sounds came from both top rear corner of the driver side door and somewhere around belt housing. However, I could not pinpoint out yet. Austin Space did reassemble the belt housing, but it didn't solve the issue. So I guess the noise from deep down to the frame of B pillar and plastic cover? They also fixed the driver side door, but the rattling is still there. It is just too obvious there are issues, but no one knows where it comes from and how to fix. I will give Austin Space a chance again to fix it before I make the official complaints. It seems like I find new issues on this car everyday!

·
Premium Member
Snow Performance Napa Hitch
143 Posts
Mine is in for service as we speak for a persistent squeak over rough pavement. It's annoying enough that I hear it and cringe every time and it seems to be coming from the passenger-side rear of the car.

The car has been at the dealer since Monday.

I'll report back.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight, 19" wheels, tow hitch
1 Posts
I've had this same problem of a squeak/rattle from the top of the driver's door or headliner. It's noticeable over bumps but comes and goes and only has the problem 40% of the time. It's made me hesitant to bring it to Galpin and not do it when they drive it. I've tried silicon lubricant on the rubber door and window seals and didn't work. Hoping someone can come up with the cause of this mystery noise.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had this same problem of a squeak/rattle from the top of the driver's door or headliner. It's noticeable over bumps but comes and goes and only has the problem 40% of the time. It's made me hesitant to bring it to Galpin and not do it when they drive it. I've tried silicon lubricant on the rubber door and window seals and didn't work. Hoping someone can come up with the cause of this mystery noise.
As I said, I had exact same issue. It was more rattling / clicking noise than squeaking. It is coming from the top corner of the driver side door and somewhere in the B pillar maybe close to the seat belt housing. Galpin looked at it and reported me that they could not find any issue! What a lie. Then Austin space looked and adjusted driver side door, lubricated rubber seals, reassembled seat belt housing. Right after the service, I noticed the noises reduced significantly. Since then it became louder and more noticeable. About 3 weeks after the service, it became the same level as it was before. Now, I am driving and hearing this noises everyday. It is quite noticeable and I will definitely have PS space to look at it again soon. Built quality / software issue are very disappointing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You obviously have never been in a Tesla. This car is built rock solid by comparison.
Of course, I have never owned any of those EV's I mentioned. However, I have tested Tesla and Audi before and even ordered, even though I cancelled for reasons. PS2 is more solid feel than tesla of course, but not as good as Audi. Solid feel driving is good, but not necessarily. My Miata has not solid at all, but it is extremely delightful, while driving. Tesla is more like that. Lighter feel and more agility. Solid feel means heavy and inefficient for me. Look at lots of comparison videos between Tesla and PS2. None of those recommend PS2 over Tesla, for many reasons. Don’t get me wrong. I am not saying that Tesla is better than PS at all. As I mentioned through this forum, I like driving my PS2 when it works as it supposed to. Anyhow, none of those test drives offered annoying rattling noises from the doors while I drove. Lots of people complaints Tesla’s built quality, and I agree PS2 has better quality overall, but annoying noises while driving, is a bit down.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 - Midnight, Leather, Launch ed. Tow-bar, 19”
58 Posts
As I said, I had exact same issue. It was more rattling / clicking noise than squeaking. It is coming from the top corner of the driver side door and somewhere in the B pillar maybe close to the seat belt housing. Galpin looked at it and reported me that they could not find any issue! What a lie. Then Austin space looked and adjusted driver side door, lubricated rubber seals, reassembled seat belt housing. Right after the service, I noticed the noises reduced significantly. Since then it became louder and more noticeable. About 3 weeks after the service, it became the same level as it was before. Now, I am driving and hearing this noises everyday. It is quite noticeable and I will definitely have PS space to look at it again soon. Built quality / software issue are very disappointing.
Had (and randomly have ) similar rattle noice as you have. I located it to the seatbelt bracket (where you adjust the height of the seatbelt) when you press the two parts together you can adjust the height of the seatbelt, it seems like sometimes these are not completely in lock and then making some noise, either that or its the cover of the adjuster. The noise go away when i do this, but comes back at random so it could be a design issue.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,059 Posts
Applied silicone lubricant to all door and (in particular) the rear hatch rubber seals and the car is now silent of squeaks! I noticed that while all four doors had rubber on both door and chassis, the rear hatch relies on a single rubber seal so I wondered if that makes it more prone to squeaking? Anyway, it's very quiet again... for now...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts