Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Applied silicone lubricant to all door and (in particular) the rear hatch rubber seals and the car is now silent of squeaks! I noticed that while all four doors had rubber on both door and chassis, the rear hatch relies on a single rubber seal so I wondered if that makes it more prone to squeaking? Anyway, it's very quiet again... for now...
Any particular type or brand you recommend? I simply looked on Amazon and there are wet ones, dry ones, etc.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts

·
Premium Member
Snow Performance Napa Hitch
143 Posts
Mine is in for service as we speak for a persistent squeak over rough pavement. It's annoying enough that I hear it and cringe every time and it seems to be coming from the passenger-side rear of the car.

The car has been at the dealer since Monday.

I'll report back.
Update:

I've now heard back from the service department a week after dropping off the car. They have identified two separate squeaking noises from the rear of my car.

• Rear seatbelt assembly
  • Rear Ohlins dampers/shocks
Parts have been ordered and will be replaced.

Since dropping the car off, I read through each post here: Rear squeak over bumps and it seems like both of these issues are known and somewhat common. I am aware that the replacement belt assemblies have had QC issues and that even after the shocks are replaced, others report a return to Squeaksville within a few thousand miles. Needless to say, I'm not 100% confident in either of these fixes, but I appreciate Polestar's diligence and the free loaner I'm currently driving. It could be worse.

I'll cross-post this message in the other thread and update again.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Moon PP Leather
93 Posts
Update:

I've now heard back from the service department a week after dropping off the car. They have identified two separate squeaking noises from the rear of my car.

• Rear seatbelt assembly

Since dropping the car off, I read through each post here: Rear squeak over bumps and it seems like both of these issues are known and somewhat common. I am aware that the replacement belt assemblies have had QC issues and that even after the shocks are replaced, others report a return to Squeaksville within a few thousand miles. Needless to say, I'm not 100% confident in either of these fixes, but I appreciate Polestar's diligence and the free loaner I'm currently driving. It could be worse.

I hope you the best on both fixes. I will request the replacement belt assemblies soon, too. Please update when you get your car back.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I hope you the best on both fixes. I will request the replacement belt assemblies soon, too. Please update when you get your car back.
After 10 days to fix two separate squeaking noises, I have my car back. Both are fixed (for now 🤞) and here's the detailed update:
  • Low pitch rattle coming from right rear of car when going over bumps
    • Service department lubed the rear shock
    • Despite lube, the noise persisted and was identified as coming from inside the shock
    • Replaced shock absorber
  • High-pitched squeak coming from right rear interior over bumps
    • Added foam to rear seatbelt assembly
    • Despite foam, squeak persisted due to a loose component inside the assembly
    • Replaced seatbelt assembly

Thankfully, the car rides smooth and quiet now.

Having read through the threads here, I am aware that - especially with the Ohlns dampers - the rattle may return. For me, the seatbelt squeak was the more annoying noise of the two, so if that stays silent, I'll be happy.

The service department was great to work with on this. I had a loaner for the duration of the work and they kept me updated several times with where they were in the process. Having my car picked up and returned to me is an underrated benefit of owning a Polestar. I've owned a series of luxury cars, and while I've always received good service, it has never included valet treatment. It makes it easier to stomach repairs, for sure! I do feel like I really benefit from living near a dealer (30 miles) and would be curious to know how others who live a considerable distance from a service center fare.

This update is cross-posted in the other "squeak" thread.

·
Registered
93 Posts
After 10 days to fix two separate squeaking noises, I have my car back. Both are fixed (for now 🤞) and here's the detailed update:
  • Low pitch rattle coming from right rear of car when going over bumps
    • Service department lubed the rear shock
    • Despite lube, the noise persisted and was identified as coming from inside the shock
    • Replaced shock absorber
  • High-pitched squeak coming from right rear interior over bumps
    • Added foam to rear seatbelt assembly
    • Despite foam, squeak persisted due to a loose component inside the assembly
    • Replaced seatbelt assembly

Thankfully, the car rides smooth and quiet now.

Having read through the threads here, I am aware that - especially with the Ohlns dampers - the rattle may return. For me, the seatbelt squeak was the more annoying noise of the two, so if that stays silent, I'll be happy.

The service department was great to work with on this. I had a loaner for the duration of the work and they kept me updated several times with where they were in the process. Having my car picked up and returned to me is an underrated benefit of owning a Polestar. I've owned a series of luxury cars, and while I've always received good service, it has never included valet treatment. It makes it easier to stomach repairs, for sure! I do feel like I really benefit from living near a dealer (30 miles) and would be curious to know how others who live a considerable distance from a service center fare.

This update is cross-posted in the other "squeak" thread.
Thanks for the update! I scheduled mine to be serviced. So I will let you know how it goes for my second try.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It has been in the shop for few days and will be back to my house tonight.
Technician told me the noises were all fixed.
I will let you all know after few tests soon.
Fingers crossed~🤞

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It has been in the shop for few days and will be back to my house tonight.
Technician told me the noises were all fixed.
I will let you all know after few tests soon.
Fingers crossed~🤞
My squeak went away on it's own. That might be what the dealer is hoping for too. 😆

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update:

• Rear seatbelt assembly

Hy Zh2oson,

I am Michael from Germany and I think I have the same problem like you had.

My dealer has already removed the entire trim from the B-pillar. They thought it was coming from a small spring. But that was not the case. The noise or rattling comes from inside the B-pillar.

I have made a video:
Could you listen to it? I hope that the noise can still be heard despite the video compression.

The workshop has now ordered a completely new belt. This will be installed in the next week. I hope that the rattling is eliminated with it. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Hy Zh2oson,

I am Michael from Germany and I think I have the same problem like you had.

My dealer has already removed the entire trim from the B-pillar. They thought it was coming from a small spring. But that was not the case. The noise or rattling comes from inside the B-pillar.

I have made a video:
Could you listen to it? I hope that the noise can still be heard despite the video compression.

The workshop has now ordered a completely new belt. This will be installed in the next week. I hope that the rattling is eliminated with it. Fingers crossed.
Michael, my squeak was totally different. For me, the best way to describe it was that it sounded like a cricket chirping every time I went over rough terrain. Very high-pitched. Yours sounds much lower (at least from the video you sent me). But...it does seem like the noise is coming from that area, so hopefully a belt replacement does the trick.

Good luck and keep me posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Michael, my squeak was totally different. For me, the best way to describe it was that it sounded like a cricket chirping every time I went over rough terrain. Very high-pitched. Yours sounds much lower (at least from the video you sent me). But...it does seem like the noise is coming from that area, so hopefully a belt replacement does the trick.

Good luck and keep me posted.
Hy zh2oson.

Thanks for your quick feedback. The mechanic sat extra first on the passenger seat and then later on the back seat To locate the exact position of that sound. The noise came from the B-pillar. There was first the suspicion of the plastic trim. This was then removed, the noise remained or even became a little bit louder. Since there is nothing else on the B-pillar, they will now replace the belt on suspicion. More parts were not in this area.

What I must say, however, is that I also had this high metallic chirping at bumps or bumps on the road. When the road was smooth and good, the noise was not present.

I'll keep you and the forum up to date.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Hy zh2oson.

Thanks for your quick feedback. The mechanic sat extra first on the passenger seat and then later on the back seat To locate the exact position of that sound. The noise came from the B-pillar. There was first the suspicion of the plastic trim. This was then removed, the noise remained or even became a little bit louder. Since there is nothing else on the B-pillar, they will now replace the belt on suspicion. More parts were not in this area.

What I must say, however, is that I also had this high metallic chirping at bumps or bumps on the road. When the road was smooth and good, the noise was not present.

I'll keep you and the forum up to date.
Hopefully the seatbelt fix does the trick. If it isn't that, as you probably read in my post, I had one of the Ohlns dampers replaced as well.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hopefully the seatbelt fix does the trick. If it isn't that, as you probably read in my post, I had one of the Ohlns dampers replaced as well.
Oh how I love leasing. A squeak is going to have to be mind numbing before I bother to let them tear my car apart. Otherwise it just goes away in 3 years 😆

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok. So here is my update on noises from B pillar. After the third time of trying to fix from two different service centers (LA and Austin), it still makes rattling noises from driver side B pillar. It sounds like something is rattling and squeaking. It almost like the window glass is rattling from the gaps between window and rubber gasket. It also squeaks like the window glass is rubbing the rubber gasket. Based on the report from service center, they tighten all the bolts and joints, and added more insulation inside of the B pillar to fix. So I think the noise is not from the inside of the B pillar anymore. However, rattling noises and squeaking noises are still coming on daily drive, which makes me nut! I really want to go to the service center physically and diagnosis it with the service staff to figure out what it is and how to fix....

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I started this thread two months ago, and since then I slammed my driver door a couple of times harder than usual, and the noise magically disappeared. I'm not sure I'm that lucky, but it worked.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I started this thread two months ago, and since then I slammed my driver door a couple of times harder than usual, and the noise magically disappeared. I'm not sure I'm that lucky, but it worked.
I will try that today. Let's see how it works~ 🤞

21 - 40 of 69 Posts