Polestar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I don't do that long of a journey most days but on a longer than usual run (16 whole miles!) I was pleased to start seeing the single trip kWh/100 miles creeping downwards. Here's my 'best' to date...33.4...can only get better the further I go (y)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I managed a 31.5 kW/100 mile. It was over 35 miles, made up of 3 separate trips spaced over 6 hours. Did a precondition for 10 minutes before the first trip. A mix of A road, country lanes 20 roundabouts. Running with no one pedal enabled.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’d be interested to see what difference the Regen set to off, so that you cruise then when you press the brake it regens (if you press brakes hard it stops regen and goes to hydraulic brakes)

Asked Bjorn, to try it, but he said it’s insignificant, is that because TM3 doesn’t have it?

if anyone with a PS2 fancies doing a longish motorway drive with regen off, that’s if we are still allowed to drive next week......

·
Registered
125 Posts
if you press brakes hard it stops regen and goes to hydraulic brakes
[Nitpicking]AFAIK regen can't be turned off. Only OPD can be turned off. Braking with 'regen' off does use regen like 'regen' set to strong (up to 100kW(2.2m/s^2) and does not stop regen when stronger braking is needed, it adds hydraulic brakes on to the regen braking.[/Nitpicking]

Which let's me personally prefer TPD over OPD - No energietic disdvantage, adds coasting to the mix and is embdedded in my muscle memory.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’d be interested to see what difference the Regen set to off, so that you cruise then when you press the brake it regens (if you press brakes hard it stops regen and goes to hydraulic brakes)

Asked Bjorn, to try it, but he said it’s insignificant, is that because TM3 doesn’t have it?

if anyone with a PS2 fancies doing a longish motorway drive with regen off, that’s if we are still allowed to drive next week......
I dont understand how turning off regen will help: accelerate, maintain speed both require energy, decelerate doesnt but coasting will only help if you have a long way to go and are happy gradually losing speed. Regen banks the energy up front.

For example I can only see going up to traffic lights / junction being an opportunity to coast. Takes more patience to let the car slowly come to a halt to maximize the coasting than I have.

Please give me notice if you’re all out on the roads near me driving like grandmas! I’ve got places I need to be!
This is why the car is right for you, if you were a patient man you would not buy a car that has 400 bhp

·
Registered
23 Posts
Which let's me personally prefer TPD over OPD - No energietic disdvantage, adds coasting to the mix and is embdedded in my muscle memory.
From what I’m reading and understanding it’s using a mix - OPD in towns / city’s and TPD on motorways / dual carriageway long trips.

Will know more once I can prove the theory.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
You can coast down hills and such and then use regen braking when you need to slow down for intersections and the like. I don't think it will help with efficiency, to be honest. I doubt the car expends more energy with the motors "engaged" when going down a hill when no power is needed to maintain speed.

Whether or not you have regen in standard or off, it's my understanding that the car will always use regen to brake up to a certain requested deceleration. For more deceleration, the car mixes in friction braking as needed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dont understand how turning off regen will help: accelerate, maintain speed both require energy, decelerate doesnt but coasting will only help if you have a long way to go and are happy gradually losing speed. Regen banks the energy up front.
I don’t mean freewheeling everywhere, in an ICE car when you see a car slowing down a way in front you don’t automatically come off the gas and go for the brakes, you come off the gas and coast (very slight engine brake) if you are still closing too quick you tap the brakes.

My old Audi A7 used to coast when you came off the gas to increase efficiency, this is the same principle only when you press the brakes you then start regen.

Just putting it out there.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
For an ICE car, there's definitely advantage to coasting to increase gas mileage. I learned to do that with my manual transmission BMW 3 series and I've grown to appreciate the feel of it. I think I'll be one of the unusual Polestar drivers that uses the coast feature fairly often. There's a certain "swoopy," natural feel to coasting on rolling roads.

·
Registered
125 Posts
From what I’m reading and understanding it’s using a mix - OPD in towns / city’s and TPD on motorways / dual carriageway long trips.
My guess would be this is a missunderstanding. 100kW of max. regen is just simply not enough at higher speeds as the kinetic energy of the car is way higher (E =1/2mv^2), hence you have to use the brake pedal 'earlier' @ higher speeds.

This is from an email from PS support:

The maximum regenerative deceleration is 2.2 meters per second squared and happens typically around 70km/h.
Maximum regenerative peak power : 100kW

Some info about regenerative "braking"

·
Registered
621 Posts
YMMV (literally) but I found on a twisty/hilly road that OPD gave me a greater sense of control of the car's go/no-go than TPD. I think part of it is the significantly heavier weight of the car compared to my current one. So coasting while downhill felt bit less controlled than using OPD and holding my foot a little back to engage a small amount of regen braking, especially when that was downhill on a curve.
Of course I did try coasting when going up/down to get some of that roller-coaster feeling, but that was more for fun and I didn't feel up for that when the road's twistiness got past a certain threshold.
In principle, if you hold the pedal at neutral that should be the same as coasting, although that requires some more attention and muscle tension than just setting to TPD. I'd probably set to TPD for coasting on longer straighter highway stretches.

tl;dr - I really liked OPD!

·
Registered
125 Posts
So coasting while downhill felt bit less controlled than using OPD and holding my foot a little back to engage a small amount of regen braking
Applying a little bit of pressure to the brake pedal would achieve exactly the same effect. I can see no argument for (or against) OPD here.

OPD and TPD are exactly the same energy-wise IMO, the only difference is instead of lifting your foot from the right pedal, you need to press the left pedal. Do nothing and you are coasting - without the need to find the sweet spot for the right pedal.

In the end, OPD vs. TPD boils down to personal preference, I guess.

·
Registered
769 Posts
In principle, if you hold the pedal at neutral that should be the same as coasting, although that requires some more attention and muscle tension than just setting to TPD. I'd probably set to TPD for coasting on longer straighter highway stretches.
Holding the pedal at neutral is not at all easy. This is why I believe TPD is slightly more efficient because you never get any regen unless you specifically request it with the brake pedal.

I prefer TPD if for no other reason than I want to keep that braking reflex in my right foot to move to the brake regardless of what car I'm driving.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There's a certain "swoopy," natural feel to coasting on rolling roads.
I thought OPD would taking some adjusting too (coming from no EV experience, and only owned manual cars). I was surprised as it took less than 5 minutes, it feels very intuitive and that "swoopy" natural feel is there for me with OPD on twisty roads. Feels great, and in full control

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have achieved 41.7 kw/ 100 miles today on a 50 mile day out. Full regen option taken. Various stops including to some friends who sat in the back and were thrilled by the EV acceleration so this may have had a negative effect on this figure! Noted, as others, that the first few miles seem to reduce the battery charge % by up to 3 percent very, very quickly. I may try to drive as per my Prius without the regen on just to compare. Will let you know.

·
Registered
60 Posts
31.7KWh/100mi coming back from Bridgewater at the weekend. Mostly on the motorway at 75/80 with inevitable slow bits down to 65. This is not fantastic, but not bad - works out at 315Wh/Mi. It was dry and reasonably warm with no wind, but there a couple of long uphill stretches on the M5 were the powermeter was a bit larger than normal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts