Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the usual process I used to follow when using the EA DCFC2 stations:

• Connect the charger to my car
  • Open up the app on my phone
  • Select the charger and use the "Slide to start charging" option
  • Disconnect after the 30 minutes were done
Yesterday, I encountered a different pattern at the EA charger in Newburgh, NY. The process was:

• Connect my car the the charger
  • The charger announed that the charging was complementary
  • Charging the car started without any input or intervention from me
  • Disconnect after the 30 minute charging was done
Did EA change the charging policy to be "free for all", or does the charger now recognize that this is a P*2 within the 2-year complementary charge timeframe? Interestingly, I do not see the charging record appear in my Charging History within the EA app. Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
1,854 Posts
Still free? … how long does it take to update a system? …🙄 ….hopefully, a year or more, which might not be a bad guess in case of EA and EC …. 😂

·
Registered
848 Posts
This is the usual process I used to follow when using the EA DCFC2 stations:

• Connect the charger to my car
  • Open up the app on my phone
  • Select the charger and use the "Slide to start charging" option
  • Disconnect after the 30 minutes were done
I've never done any of this to charge at an EA station. I have EA in my Apple Wallet so all I do is plug the car in and hold my phone next to the reader. Just like any other Apple Pay

·
Registered
2022 DM Void Plus & Pilot 19 inch tires
157 Posts
I've never done any of this to charge at an EA station. I have EA in my Apple Wallet so all I do is plug the car in and hold my phone next to the reader. Just like any other Apple Pay
In my experience with EA that works 50% of the time at best.
The other method of selecting the charger once plugged in and swiping to "start charging" works like a charm all the time so it is now my default. (Of course, love that while the charging is free one only has to plug in)

·
Registered
679 Posts
The other method of selecting the charger once plugged in and swiping to "start charging" works like a charm all the time so it is now my default. (Of course, love that while the charging is free one only has to plug in)
The issue I have found with swipe to start is that the labeling of the chargers is inconsistent and it's hard to tell which charger I'm at. The tap eliminates that source of error

·
Registered
848 Posts
100% reliable for me, so far

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
100% reliable for me, so far
@Will DaBeast , even the "Swipe To Start Charging" is reliable. Working in the industry, I am very cognizant of who gets access to my data, I have intentionally not set up any payments through my phone, since I do not believe that Google/Apple, who already have detailed data about their users, should get to know even the financial details.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I’m sure the swipe is reliable. Didn’t say it isn’t. As far as access to your data goes, it’s probably already out there. If you have credit cards, a bank account, a phone or any other anything those companies and government agencies are all online with your data. But have the right to do what you need to do to make yourself feel protected. No judgment from me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I’m sure the swipe is reliable. Didn’t say it isn’t. As far as access to your data goes, it’s probably already out there. If you have credit cards, a bank account, a phone or any other anything those companies and government agencies are all online with your data. But have the right to do what you need to do to make yourself feel protected. No judgment from me.
@Will DaBeast, I work in the industry. Transaction level data of consumers is available at very few sources. It's accessible mostly by the credit card companies and the banks/networks that process the information. The government does not have the transaction-level details nor any other bureau or private entity. Credit bureaus and other agencies only get the aggregates (like the beginning end ending balances and how much/many payments were received in a s specific timeframe), but not the finer details. Google/Samsung/Apple want to tap this very lucrative dataset, since it shows where the consumer is actually spending their money, not at an aggregate level, but the specific stores where the consumer is spending their money (and in some isntances it's comparitively simple for one to deduce which specific item(s) was/were purchsaed even without the SKU ID).

The banks and card companies, as is to be expected, are loath to share this data with the tech companies. Hence the work-around by the tech companies to create "digital wallets", where they are able to capture the detailed transaction data.Under the guise of "remving friction", these companies are now accessing the consumers' financial/transaction-level data. The tech companies then trawl through the specfic transaction details and then sell the consumer data to ad providers providing them with greater/finer details of the consumers likes/dislikes, and then also measure how effective the ad campaign was. Say one consumer has a propensity to get a cup of coffee and the ad company provides a coupon for a coffee from a competitor, using the digital wallet they can then track and see if the consumer acted upon the marketing coupon.

Like you, no judgement from me. If a person wants to share everything with the tech companies, that's their choice.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Snow, Pilot
322 Posts
Looks like the “update” is over. Went to an EA yesterday and it worked great with a swipe so charged on my account then a new feature was highlighted in the app — notification when reaching a certain limit or time. That’s new to me at least and will be making use of it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
@Will DaBeast, I work in the industry. Transaction level data of consumers is available at very few sources. It's accessible mostly by the credit card companies and the banks/networks that process the information. The government does not have the transaction-level details nor any other bureau or private entity. Credit bureaus and other agencies only get the aggregates (like the beginning end ending balances and how much/many payments were received in a s specific timeframe), but not the finer details. Google/Samsung/Apple want to tap this very lucrative dataset, since it shows where the consumer is actually spending their money, not at an aggregate level, but the specific stores where the consumer is spending their money (and in some isntances it's comparitively simple for one to deduce which specific item(s) was/were purchsaed even without the SKU ID).

The banks and card companies, as is to be expected, are loath to share this data with the tech companies. Hence the work-around by the tech companies to create "digital wallets", where they are able to capture the detailed transaction data.Under the guise of "remving friction", these companies are now accessing the consumers' financial/transaction-level data. The tech companies then trawl through the specfic transaction details and then sell the consumer data to ad providers providing them with greater/finer details of the consumers likes/dislikes, and then also measure how effective the ad campaign was. Say one consumer has a propensity to get a cup of coffee and the ad company provides a coupon for a coffee from a competitor, using the digital wallet they can then track and see if the consumer acted upon the marketing coupon.

Like you, no judgement from me. If a person wants to share everything with the tech companies, that's their choice.
ok

·
Registered
248 Posts
When it works, tapping on the NFC reader works more efficiently than swiping. No need to zoom in on the EA map to select location, then station number, then swipe. Just plug in, open EA app and tap on the correct NFC reader (not the credit card one). However, I have had mixed results with the NFC reader working at various locations (even different stations at the same location).

·
Registered
Dual motor - Plus & Pilot
223 Posts

1 - 20 of 25 Posts