Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not having great luck with EA chargers so far. Today I plugged into a 150kW charger. It charged from 61% to 71% at 40kW, then said "charge complete." Unplugging and starting a new charge gave "Error starting charge." Anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm not having great luck with EA chargers so far. Today I plugged into a 150kW charger. It charged from 61% to 71% at 40kW, then said "charge complete." Unplugging and starting a new charge gave "Error starting charge." Anyone have any tips?
Aha - you may not have read my rather long string of posts on my cross-country (NY to Memphis) trip - there is an incompatibility with some EA chargers and the Polestar 2 software. EA uses 3 manufacturers of chargers: ABB (all of these worked fine for me), Signet (all of these did NOT work for me - would start to charge and then stop), and another manufacturer that I can't remember and none of which were on my route. According to EA, the chargers tend to be installed regionally and Signets were in most all of the Tennessee locations. Polestar and Signet got together after several calls I made from the road and discovered the incompatibility was in the Polestar software and already have a fix identified. Polestar has committed to having this fix in the next OTA update.

You might want to call EA and see who the manufacturer is of that charger - they should be aware of the Polestar 2 issue. Additional information should be helpful, especially if that charger is of the 3rd manufacturer where I have no experience. At this point it looks like EA has the best network of fast DC chargers for us, certainly in my experience so far. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll take more notes next time and see what I can find out.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
208 Posts
I may be driving from NH down to FL soon is there a way to know which EA are Signet before ya roll in there at 5% and realize you're hosed!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I may be driving from NH down to FL soon is there a way to know which EA are Signet before ya roll in there at 5% and realize you're hosed!
Don’t think so, but I emailed EA to suggest they list the charger model on the app. You should too. Maybe if we all requested...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Don’t think so, but I emailed EA to suggest they list the charger model on the app. You should too. Maybe if we all requested...
That's a great idea. I will say that the EA support people (number is in the app and on the chargers) are extremely helpful and will look up the manufacturer for any charger for you. They will help you identify chargers along your route and let you know each manufacturer. For my trip once the agent had identified that all of the chargers on the remainder of my route were Signets, he actually helped me identify competing chargers (EVGo, ChargePoint) that I could use as an alternative. And also put another free charging session on my account for use in the future. I was impressed with the support!

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Your post, ****, saved me a great deal of frustration on my recent adventure. Thank you.

Reactions: Mick and rgledhill

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just sent a 7 charger trip to Florida to EA and was told everything south of Delaware was on Signet...

some of the points on the EA app show signet in the name others don't...they recommended I call back with more stations so they can tell me if they are signet or not and didn't offer a self service option.

They said they are working on a fix, but **** indicated Polestar needs to do a fix...either way my trip will have to avoid it or I will have to breakdown and take the ICE :(

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow. We REALLY need Polestar to push that Signet fix. EA basically the only game in town in my region (Southern US). Looks like no road trips until this is fixed.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar.
179 Posts
Is this happening with the Oct or Nov software release. I see on the release notes of the latest software that there are some charging stability improvements. Not sure if that'll help here.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
November release in my case.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If you ever wondered why many people are not ready to jump into the EV world -- for all it's benefits -- this thread is it. Tesla for all it's flaws has done a really good job of negating this issue for their buyers.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you ever wondered why many people are not ready to jump into the EV world -- for all it's benefits -- this thread is it. Tesla for all it's flaws has done a really good job of negating this issue for their buyers.
I think (?hope) we are on the precipice of this no longer being an issue for non-Tesla buyers. With the ID3/4 and Mach E coming out, I feel like the number of people clamoring for better charging networks will begin to ramp up. And with the new political administration there will be a heretofore absent impetus to improve this in the US (beyond the punitive genesis of the EA network, for example). Hopefully a Buttigeg-led Transportation Department will see this as a priority.

Honestly, if the EA Signet issue gets worked out it will allow for 95% of the drives I would ever imagine taking in the car to be made relatively hassle-free. It’s a pretty solid network, even in my rural region. From my ABRP playing around, it seems like a 200 mi Polestar range can get me almost anywhere on the EA network.

·
Registered
208 Posts
EA isn't the only show in town to be honest, but it is the only one I have seen consistently over 150kw and doing EVgo and ChargePoints has a few legs that are 245+ miles, which won't work.

Edit: looks like an overnight in Richmond would solve the issue.

Still want Signet fixed!!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes, one of the EA reps told me (Dec 11) that the EA techs were aware of the problem and were working on it with Polestar. Later in the evening I spoke with Jeff who runs the Polestar Space in NYC and he said they had found the problem and Polestar was planning to push a fix in the next OTA update. He wasn't sure when that would be, but the latest I had heard was January earliest. I think if enough of us complain, maybe they would prioritise and accelerate the update. I will call Jeff back tomorrow or Monday and try to get the latest info. I offered to "beta test" a fix if they wanted one done - there is an EA charging station about 25 mi from me. I can verify if it is Signet first. I know there is a Signet one in Jackson, about 77 miles away. It would be worth the trip to test it out.

Based on PlugShare and my trip through Tennessee as well as ABRP suggestions to likely destinations for us (Dallas, Atlanta), EA is key for long trips with fast charging.

·
Registered
232 Posts
EA isn't the only show in town to be honest, but it is the only one I have seen consistently over 150kw and doing EVgo and ChargePoints has a few legs that are 245+ miles, which won't work.

Edit: looks like an overnight in Richmond would solve the issue.

Still want Signet fixed!!!

This is screenshot from a pretty cool app called Chargeway. It shows all the chargers >50kw in my region. Unfortunately, there are only 1-2 non EA chargers over 50kw in the whole state! The pains of being an early adopter.

(By the way, all those 7s on the map are either 150 or 350 kw EA chargers, at least in AL)

By the way Chargeway is much easier to browse than PlugShare or others I’ve found.

I wouldn’t be buying the car were it not for EA, so I really need the software to play nice with EA.

And actually I really enjoy the planning aspect of charging. Reminds me of the days before GPS and Google maps where you really had to pay attention to travel and it was about the journey as much as the destination.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I think (?hope) we are on the precipice of this no longer being an issue for non-Tesla buyers. With the ID3/4 and Mach E coming out, I feel like the number of people clamoring for better charging networks will begin to ramp up. And with the new political administration there will be a heretofore absent impetus to improve this in the US (beyond the punitive genesis of the EA network, for example). Hopefully a Buttigeg-led Transportation Department will see this as a priority.

Honestly, if the EA Signet issue gets worked out it will allow for 95% of the drives I would ever imagine taking in the car to be made relatively hassle-free. It’s a pretty solid network, even in my rural region. From my ABRP playing around, it seems like a 200 mi Polestar range can get me almost anywhere on the EA network.
I don't disagree with you, but the fact that we have this thread at all means there's an issue. When in fact there really shouldn't have ever even been an issue. You should just be able to plug in. The fact that there is an issue with this car and these chargers is an implication that there will likely be future issues with other cars and other chargers. With Tesla (which I would still never buy) if you have a Tesla you can be assured their network chargers will work -- period. This thread would not exist on their forums.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't disagree with you, but the fact that we have this thread at all means there's an issue. When in fact there really shouldn't have ever even been an issue. You should just be able to plug in. The fact that there is an issue with this car and these chargers is an implication that there will likely be future issues with other cars and other chargers. With Tesla (which I would still never buy) if you have a Tesla you can be assured their network chargers will work -- period. This thread would not exist on their forums.
Totally agree. But I think the tide is turning. There will be growing pains for sure, but things are improving.

Honestly, if I only owned one car and had to make long trips I’d HAVE to get a Tesla. But I plan only one longer trip per quarter (if that) so home charging works fine for me. I do 15k miles per year, but my longest commute is one day per week for 130 mi round trip. The rest is a LOT of bumping around town between worksites and shuttling kids around. For me having a PS2 is akin to having the proverbial Sunday driver car, but using it 350 days per year. The ICE will stay in the garage on a “pleasure” insurance policy. 🤣

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
View attachment 2530

This is screenshot from a pretty cool app called Chargeway. It shows all the chargers >50kw in my region. Unfortunately, there are only 1-2 non EA chargers over 50kw in the whole state! The pains of being an early adopter.

(By the way, all those 7s on the map are either 150 or 350 kw EA chargers, at least in AL)

By the way Chargeway is much easier to browse than PlugShare or others I’ve found.

I wouldn’t be buying the car were it not for EA, so I really need the software to play nice with EA.

And actually I really enjoy the planning aspect of charging. Reminds me of the days before GPS and Google maps where you really had to pay attention to travel and it was about the journey as much as the destination.
Nice App!! I find it a bit more user friendly than A Better Route Planner (ABRP).

1 - 20 of 71 Posts