Polestar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had a 90% charge limit on. The car has been plugged into the mains. The car was not charging, both the Car and my Andersen A2 app confirmed 0kW was being delivered.

I got into the car, selected the precondition (set to 22deg C), got out and locked the car.

This was my A2 report for how much energy it delivered.

When I got back in the car it was obviously still at 90% charge.

I've done this twice, once at 12deg and the other at 1deg outside air temperature this morning.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's not a huge amount of energy really. Of course if you can then it makes sense to pre-heat while plugged in but the hit on range isn't going to be all that much when preheating from the battery. It's certainly better than I had thought

Reactions: Terran

·
Registered
47 Posts
So I've had a 90% charge limit on. The car has been plugged into the mains. The car was not charging, both the Car and my Andersen A2 app confirmed 0kW was being delivered.

I got into the car, selected the precondition (set to 22deg C), got out and locked the car.

When I got back in the car it was obviously still at 90% charge.
So... the car was plugged in, but not charging. You started preconditioning, and the car automatically drew the required power down the cable from your charger, without you needing to do anything special. Good - thank you. That’ll be particularly useful once we can press a ‘precondition’ button on our phones, while looking out the window at cold and frosty Polestars...

·
Registered
764 Posts
So... the car was plugged in, but not charging. You started preconditioning, and the car automatically drew the required power down the cable from your charger, without you needing to do anything special. Good - thank you. That’ll be particularly useful once we can press a ‘precondition’ button on our phones, while looking out the window at cold and frosty Polestars...
Press the button on our phones? I'm hoping for speedy support with google home so I can just ask google to do it as I do today with my Volvo.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Press the button on our phones? I'm hoping for speedy support with google home so I can just ask google to do it as I do today with my Volvo.
Absolutely... And based on the speed Polestar / Google have been going so far, this feature will be available mid 2023!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So... the car was plugged in, but not charging. You started preconditioning, and the car automatically drew the required power down the cable from your charger, without you needing to do anything special. Good - thank you.
Correct and no problem.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Absolutely... And based on the speed Polestar / Google have been going so far, this feature will be available mid 2023!
Now, now. Mustn't be so negative. 2021 may surprise us all.

·
Registered
764 Posts
But I'm presuming it also means that the battery was not pre-heated using mains, and I'm also presuming that it's the battery heating that causes super-high consumption when starting out to drive.
Hmm, good point.

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
Reminds me of later ICE pre-heaters which only pre-heated the cabin, not the engine. Could never get my head around this.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But I'm presuming it also means that the battery was not pre-heated using mains, and I'm also presuming that it's the battery heating that causes super-high consumption when starting out to drive.
Yup, I still had 55-60kw/100mi for the first 10miles.

We are only assuming it's the heating of the batteries, it could be that and something else, like brake disc cleaning, etc... We don't know.

However once we are in warming weather next summer, it should be able to eliminate or confirm battery heating.

Or if someone gets a OBD2 port app going for it.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Just for the record, heating things takes a huge amount of energy. One of the largest draws in my house is my electric oven and stovetop. 50 amp circuit. Put a pot of water on, and how much time does it take to boil? So it makes complete sense to me that heating up a huge battery with a high specific heat is drawing a kWh or two. Heating up air doesn't take all that much compared with liquids and solids, of course... much less mass... but even that can require something significant.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yup, I still had 55-60kw/100mi for the first 10miles.

We are only assuming it's the heating of the batteries, it could be that and something else, like brake disc cleaning, etc... We don't know.

However once we are in warming weather next summer, it should be able to eliminate or confirm battery heating.

Or if someone gets a OBD2 port app going for it.
You must be really going for it. 7 mile trip I expect to see 3.5. Yes careful driving on A road at the speed limits. Regen off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did a similar test when I got the car. This was November 15 and about 10c.
It’s a shame you can’t change the pre-heat temperature because 22c is really too hot, so I’m only doing it now for a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You must be really going for it. 7 mile trip I expect to see 3.5. Yes careful driving on A road at the speed limits. Regen off.
Nope, driven very normally. A 10 mile trip I'll use 10% of the battery at the start. A 40 mile trip to the cost yesterday we averaged 40mph and 35kW/100mi - Mostly M25 / A127. Return trip we got 45kW/100mi with an average of 38mph - Some A roads, but mostly B roads via a farm shop for 10mins.

Total was 40kW/100mi with an average of 39mph. Regen Low. All speed limits kept. A couple of overtaking manoeuvres. Temp around 12deg. Cabin set to 20deg. I even preheated the car before we left! Maybe that's why I only got 40kw/100mi on the way there.

We stopped for about 2 hours in Southend-on-Sea.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
This demonstrates why having a heat pump is a really good thing for heating the cabin in cold weather...

·
Registered
15 Posts
This demonstrates why having a heat pump is a really good thing for heating the cabin in cold weather...
Totally agree. My BMW i3 33kWh has a heat pump and it is a very different experience with the P* 2...I see the first 5 miles at stupidly high consumption whereas the i3 there it is barely noticeable. Heat pumps make a big difference. I am hoping that when the app comes you will be able to pre-condition the battery and interior. You can do this with the i3 - albeit you need to give it at least two hours to pre-heat the battery. If I had realised that this was such a big deal with the P* 2 I might have considered a different car (I was very close to going with an i-Pace)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts