Polestar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Failing to meet its target of 275 miles on a charge, the Polestar 2 is the latest European EV to suffer from EPA range shrinkitis.

Despite being rated at up to 292 miles per charge under Europe's WLTP standards, the EPA reports that customers should count on just 233 miles per charge based on its testing. It also rates the car's efficiency at 366 watt-hours per mile (Wh/mi), leaving it again lagging behind the Tesla Model 3.

The Polestar 2 is hardly the first European EV to come across the pond and lose estimated range. The Porsche Taycan, which was rated at 288 miles per charge according to WLTP standards, was rated at less than 200 miles per charge by the EPA.

And although the WLTP's range estimates appear to err on the side of optimism, the EPA appears to be a little harsh, too. More than a few publications ran "I beat the EPA's estimated range in a Taycan" stories after the EPA's figures were released.

One reason for this might be caution on the part of established manufacturers. Although Telsa's Model 3 (depending on trim) has been rated at more than 300 miles of range, most established brands have chosen not to offer drivers the full battery's range, unlike Tesla. This is being done to protect the battery, they say, and extend its life.

That's an important cause, if it's not just an excuse, because as Polestar showed last week, the bulk of an EV's carbon footprint comes from the manufacture of its battery. Indeed, it takes about 30,000 miles of driving on wind power before an EV becomes greener than an internal combustion car. The longer a battery survives, then, the greener the car.

Still, all the math in the world won't protect Polestar from sticker shock if they can't start playing the EPA's game.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
I can live with this, too.

And if you need to, you just creep up real close behind a big ol' truck on a long highway drive, and I bet you can get 400 miles!

Reactions: james70778

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not surprising really. I'm an ipace owner. EPA for it is now 246 miles - larger battery at 84.7 kWh usable. Given the drag coefficient of 0.287 which is similar to Ipace (0.29) I was surprised at the initial reports of 275 miles from Volvo/Polestar with a smaller battery. Cant beat physics. Tesla drag coefficients are much lower. Taycan is also low at 0.22 - its real world range is much higher 250 miles than the EPA rating due to the way it was tested and Porsche conservative marketing.

The range is enough depending on your use of the car. if your daily commute is > 90 miles/ 150 km one way the polestar is probably not the car for you unless you can charge at work. If you do a lot of long trips i probably wouldnt buy an EV with the current range/charging infrastructure. My commute is 30km one way and my longest trips with are 220 km to our cottage which has a 240 volt plug outside. 400 km range is more than enough. Range isnt everything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think in real world range should be between 350-450kms depending on various factors like weather, wind etc ..& for me personally if I am on a long road trip I tend to take a break every 170-200 Km ....so a range of 373 km is plenty....

Daily driving my home to office to home is approx 20km ....

with launch of Lucid/Plaid Model S next year...Polestar should definitely work on improving BMS & efficiency...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Where I live 110km is maximum legal speed limit...also 90%+ of my driving would be in a city commuting to work....driving in city should lead to a higher range cause of regen

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's possible for me to get an estimated range of 450km on my commute if I turn off HVAC and drive cautious. But the car doesn't really invite to that kind of driving, in normal conditions I get 370-380km. I've only been driving in temperatures around 6-13C, summer temperatures might give the range a bump.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here a view on the consumption-information in a Dutch Polestar2 after more than 2000 km. In my converting calculation that 21,3 Kwh/100 km would be an average of about 34Kwh/100 ml?
C0F71E65-6989-4C28-BDCA-0F3AB6709A20.jpeg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, but the 22kWh/100km is not the average over the 2000km. TA it's just the last 80km. This numbers looks the same as mine during normal driving.
But i think the TM is the average over that 2000 km (with the average consumption of 21,3 KwH/100 km)

·
Registered
3 Posts
But i think the TM is the average over that 2000 km (with the average consumption of 21,3 KwH/100 km)
Sorry, I didn't write my reply very clearly. You're absolutly right, my point was that GDank's calculation of 22kWh/100km isn't relevant due to the short distance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I averaged about 22kwh/100km in a hot summer in the Ipace over 5000km. Mostly highway commuting, not aggressively. With the big 22 inch rims which have about 10% penalty compared to the 18inch ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts