Polestar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noted on Vegard Nilsen's recent video that the P2 doesn't seem to factor in the planned route when calculating estimated range. Has anybody heard that this is a planned feature?

As an example, in my BMW i3 at power-on, the car may show that I have 100 miles of estimated range. This range is initially based on my efficiency over the last 18 miles driven.

After I plug in a destination to nav and it calculates a route, the estimated range updates.

If the route is primarily high-speed highway driving, or has a lot of elevation gain, or temperatures are cold, the battery's estimated range will adjust downward to reflect these conditions.

Alternately, if I've plugged in a rural, flat route, I may see a tick up in my estimated range.

In all cases, I've found the recalculated range to be extremely accurate, especially noticeable on longer journeys where I'm maxing out and need to plan a charging stop.

With the Polestar 2, it sounds as if Google may calculate a different range than what the car is displaying?

I'm very curious how these two systems collaborate and whether the car is taking advantage of Google's extensive terrain, traffic and weather data to provide the most accurate range estimations.

In Vegard's video there is a long ascent at the end of his drive, and it seems this caught the car by surprise, so to speak.

·
Registered
534 Posts
There is no collaboration. The range listed is pretty useless. Pay attention to the Percentage left when using Google maps. It's quite accurate if slightly pessimistic, so you will usually arrive with slightly more than what it originally calculated as the original ending percent but that also updates as you go.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
The GOM is pointless. It's based on 30kwh/100mi.

Use Google maps it's very accurate or for a rough guess in winter take your battery % and double it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts