Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
California
1,740 Posts
It reads to me like this isn’t quite exactly the Plug & Charge standard, but that EVgo is able to make use of some proto-almost-P&C-like functionality a lot of cars already have:
Autocharge+ is only available for EVs with CCS connectors that support a two-way vehicle data sharing functionality. The good news is that most EVs with CCS connectors support this feature (including older EV models).
They then describe an enrollment process that’s a bit more complicated than Plug & Charge typically is. Their FAQ also includes some information about security that reads to me like it’s not able to make use of the security infrastructure in P&C. The reason P&C requires special hardware is the security part, not just the unique identifier, but proving that this vehicle is the one with that identifier.

That said, this sounds great and I hope EA copies it.

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, if one time enrolment is the only difference between this and true plug and charge, it’s a still huge step forward.

Do I understand it right that true plug and charge basically requires no enrolment of any sort, because you are technically not paying for the charge against your own credit card?

I am focusing on the differences the customer feels, rather than the technicality, security requirements etc.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Well, if one time enrolment is the only difference between this and true plug and charge, it’s a still huge step forward.

Do I understand it right that true plug and charge basically requires no enrolment of any sort, because you are technically not paying for the charge against your own credit card?

I am focusing on the differences the customer feels, rather than the technicality, security requirements etc.
Not sure, but how would they know your card details if you didn’t enrol? The card details would either need to be stored in the car which were communicated to the charger (security issue, since no lock on charge port) or you enrol and register the details.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
You know it's quality stuff because the test car is named "Poley McStar"
Font Rectangle Handwriting Art Magenta

and as the article say, the Plug & Charge standard is included with ISO 15118, which I believe is a feature of CCS, so it's more a matter of software implementation than needing new hardware - although am sure someone more knowledgeable out there could clarify.

V2G or V2X needs different hardware though, AFAIK

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
549 Posts
You know it's quality stuff because the test car is named "Poley McStar"
View attachment 17687

and as the article say, the Plug & Charge standard is included with ISO 15118, which I believe is a feature of CCS, so it's more a matter of software implementation than needing new hardware - although am sure someone more knowledgeable out there could clarify.

V2G or V2X needs different hardware though, AFAIK
It's Plug and Charge, which is not the same thing as Plug & Charge. Thanks GM and EVGo!

·
Registered
2021 Snow PP, Barley Leather Int., Tow Package
330 Posts
Same. I'll try to scan the door jam later but manual entry did not work. Getting a "something went wrong" error.

I'm wondering if their system is just overloaded. I was able to enter my Rivian VIN in, which doesn't have autocharge+ yet.
I scanned and it didn't work either. So far a complete fail, I did email EVGo support so let's see what happens I guess. If it works cool, but honestly I don't even charge with EVGO often so I may not put a lot of time into this support ticket if they don't reach back out.

·
Registered
California
1,740 Posts
Well it reads to me like there’s a chance of fraudulent charges if someone figures out your car’s ID and tries to charge your account and EVgo’s magic algorithms don’t automatically identify it. I know you said you don’t care about security, but that’s what caring about security involves.

If I understand how it’s supposed to work, real Plug & Charge involves enrolling your credit card with your manufacturer / vehicle. But you wouldn’t have to enroll separately with each charging network that does Plug & Charge. They’d basically charge back to the card you enrolled one time. EVgo’s solution, if adopted by other networks, would involve enrolling again with each new network that builds something like this.

·
Registered
California
1,740 Posts
I think you have it backwards — ISO 15118 itself is a number of communication protocols, including V2G and Plug & Charge. Those are all optional additions to CCS. I’m pretty sure some security/encryption-ish hardware is required to correctly implement Plug & Charge.

Speaking of which, Wikipedia says
Alternatives to Plug & Charge exist including "AutoCharge" based on DIN Spec 70121 (Combined Charging System - CCS) using the car's fixed MAC address which is not a secure mechanism, however companies like the Volkswagen Group cars do not have a fixed MAC address and cannot use AutoCharge.
I’m guessing EVgo’s AutoCharge+ is just this plus some automated fraud detection techniques.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
549 Posts
I think you have it backwards — ISO 15118 itself is a number of communication protocols, including V2G and Plug & Charge. Those are all optional additions to CCS. I’m pretty sure some security/encryption-ish hardware is required to correctly implement Plug & Charge.

Speaking of which, Wikipedia says

I’m guessing EVgo’s AutoCharge+ is just this plus some automated fraud detection techniques.
That's what it is. The device MAC since CCS is PLC which is basically a special version of Ethernet.

I fully plan on trying to use an adapter to spoof for my unsupported vehicles.

·
Registered
California
1,740 Posts
That's what it is. The device MAC since CCS is PLC which is basically a special version of Ethernet.

I fully plan on trying to use an adapter to spoof for my unsupported vehicles.
I wonder how easy it is to get the MAC address — if my P*2 is sitting locked somewhere, unplugged, can someone just.. open the port cover and plug in a CCS plug that’s a fake charger and read out the MAC address? Seems too easy.

I guess one improvement would be for MAC address to only be transmitted when P*2 is unlocked, but no idea if they do even that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts