Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took car on 80 mile drive and returned to an EVGO level 3 charger near my house to try DC charging for first time. I don’t have app or account but there is option of swiping card and CCS charging. Posted rate without a plan is $5.95 fee plus 20 cents per minute. I swiped card and car recognized charger but it never started to charge and then the machine disconnected. I tried again with same result. At this point I gave up and went home. I checked my credit card account online and had 2 $15.00 charges from EVGO which I am contesting. The device itself never texted my phone a bill and the charger never posted the charge either, unlike every gas station I’ve ever been to.

In future I would use app and set up account but now I am wondering if EVGO is a problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took car on 80 mile drive and returned to an EVGO level 3 charger near my house to try DC charging for first time. I don’t have app or account but there is option of swiping card and CCS charging. Posted rate without a plan is $5.95 fee plus 20 cents per minute. I swiped card and car recognized charger but it never started to charge and then the machine disconnected. I tried again with same result. At this point I gave up and went home. I checked my credit card account online and had 2 $15.00 charges from EVGO which I am contesting. The device itself never texted my phone a bill and the charger never posted the charge either, unlike every gas station I’ve ever been to.

In future I would use app and set up account but now I am wondering if EVGO is a problem.
Did you happen to note what brand of charger it was? There are known issues with Signet manufactured chargers on the Electrify America network.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you happen to note what brand of charger it was? There are known issues with Signet manufactured chargers on the Electrify America network.
I didn’t. I had heard about Signet issue. I thought the problem was with charging the car....not with charging a credit card. I wanted to share in case others had a failed charge and didn’t realize they might have been charged.

·
Registered
58 Posts
For future reference, calling the charging network when there is an issue like this is often advisable. The support rep can sometimes remotely fix the issue preventing charging & can in any case see (and fix) transactions that don’t result in any power being delivered. Good luck!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I didn’t. I had heard about Signet issue. I thought the problem was with charging the car....not with charging a credit card. I wanted to share in case others had a failed charge and didn’t realize they might have been charged.
If you open the EZGO app and find that charger you tried to use it should give you details on the charger model and manufacturer.

Also agree with calling EVGO and asking them to troubleshoot. May even be worth going back and trying again with them on the line.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I did successfully use an EVGo charger last month - actually a couple of them. I did make an account and had the app for the charge when using a CC didn't work first try. The chargers were only 50kW max I think. Both times the charger stopped partway through and I had to start a 2nd charge to get to the SoC I needed. They weren't in great shape, but at least they worked. Note that EVGo and Electrify America are unrelated. Once we get the fix for the EA Signet chargers, I will stick with EA pretty exclusively - they have many 150kW and 300 kW chargers and seem to have the best network coverage in the places I might go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for feedback. I didn’t actually need the charge and was just experimenting. It didn’t work which I might have been able to troubleshoot. However, what upset me was the inappropriate and excessive billing. If there is a next time, I will use app and/or card. Definitely will call them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: went back to try again with the app loaded on my phone. Much smoother but once again failed. This time did not charge my card. Called EVGO as was recommended here, and they were very helpful. Unfortunately, the machine is not working and needs maintainence. It is a BTC charger.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That must not be a Signet charger (doesn't look like one) - EA chargers that work are great!

·
Registered
318 Posts
How can you tell?
The Signet chargers I've tried have a card reader between the ports. I know the ABB chargers have the reader below the screen and above the ports which are side by side with nothing between them. I've never seen one of the others.

EDIT: I actually found photos of them. There seems to be a 4th manufacturer as well. I'll make a separate thread and post the photos.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Signet chargers I've tried have a card reader between the ports. I know the ABB chargers have the reader below the screen and above the ports which are side by side with nothing between them. I've never seen one of the others.

EDIT: I actually found photos of them. There seems to be a 4th manufacturer as well. I'll make a separate thread and post the photos.
Based on the pictures you posted, this must be an ABB.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah, the ABB chargers I used through Pennsylvania and Virginia were rock solid and FAST. Once I hit Tennessee which is all Signet, no joy. Had to go EVGo/ChargePoint and a final Blink Level 2 at the last stop. Painful!

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi there. Although my experience is in China, I hope my resolution can help. My car had the same issue like the original post. Tried 3 public chargers, didn't work, switched to another charging station by a different company. Still didn't work. Both charging station charged my account. Had to call in Polestar and asked about it, they tolled my car to service, and found its because the charging control unit in my P2 was connected very poorly. I haven't got my car back but they do claim the car is charging fine now. It is puzzling for us to determine where the issue is between the charging station and the car. But this time it might be the car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi @8P2CN! During my trip (mid-December) I actually spoke with both Polestar and with Electrify America on the issue and they verified that they found an incompatibility with the Signet manufactured chargers and the Polestar software. They have since corrected it and validated the fix via testing and it will be part of the January OTA update. I've been told (and others have said the same) that it will come 4th week of January. Once that is pushed and installed, I will go back and verify it works at a nearby EA Signet charger that is only 25 miles from my home. Here's hoping that the update works AND gets pushed on schedule. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I also had a failure at an EVgo BTC charger today. Tried a couple of times, and it got an error starting the charge each time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts