Polestar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent 5 weeks in India and was not expecting to see an EV or a charging point but should have known better. Only real issue is there isn’t a Hertz or National car rental where you can hire Ev or Ice car from New Delhi and return it 5 weeks later.

So after driving 10hrs (only 450km) from Delhi to Amritsar Punjab, dodging dogs, cows buffaloes, cyclists Rickshaws and trucks as well as other car users and driving at 120kmh (30kmh over speed limit). I decided to visit the local shopping centre to buy all the things I didn’t take with me as I don’t want to travel with 8 suitcases (mrs and baby would have had 7 of them), and low and behold 2 DC fast chargers are being installed.

Next day returned and there’s a guy charging his Tata Nexus EV, so I spoke to him for about 10 minutes and he said the car is a pile of crap but it’s cheap and does what he wants for in around the surrounding area. The cost of EU/Jap EVs are so much more it’s not worth it might as well buy a ICE car. Why did he buy an EV? Cost of fuel is too much, he has had his home charging point fitted to his farms PowerPoint (free electricity for farms) and only charges outside for convenience. He didn’t give a toss about the environment and it was all about the cost of operating etc. fuel prices in Punjab are 97rs for one litre petrol (£1) and 88rs for diesel. Electricity is much much cheaper per unit. In 2020 fuel was about 70rs for petrol but had shot up to about 120rs before dropping down to 97rs.sss

I asked him if he would be tempted to take it cross country and he said depending on the route he might but it simply wouldn’t be worth it in terms of time. The car would get him from Amritsar to Ludhiana (120km) and need a charge as the next charging point would be too far away. The car has a range of 300km so real terms about 220 to 250km. Charging time is 60 minutes 10 to 80% on DC or 9hrs on 15amps plug point.

I wish I had just flown my P2 out there lol as the crap I was driving wouldnt be road legal in the UK. After he showed me his charging app I worked out that the P2 could have done all my journeys easily and charging infrastructure in India isn’t non existent just restricted to the major cities. Don’t go into the Mountains, deserts, and jungles and major cities are about 60km apart in India. One issue most of the charging points are in shopping centres and they don’t open before 11am and close at

Price of a Nexon ICE 1.2mill rs cost of Nexon EV 1.7mill rs these are for the top of the range models. Cheaper ones exist but the difference of 500k remains between ice and EV.

· Registered
1,791 Posts
Very interesting to read.

Incase anyone else was wondering what a Tata Nexon looks like, here it is. Not as bad as I thought it would be, although definitely not my kind of vehicle as I really truly deeply dislike (<-- understatement) little non-awd suv styled vehicles. I can see the market and appeal (cheap) for some people Tata Nexon EV - India's Own Electric Compact SUV Powered by Ziptron

· Registered
7 Posts
Very interesting to read.

Incase anyone else was wondering what a Tata Nexon looks like, here it is. Not as bad as I thought it would be, although definitely not my kind of vehicle as I really truly deeply dislike (<-- understatement) little non-awd suv styled vehicles. I can see the market and appeal (cheap) for some people Tata Nexon EV - India's Own Electric Compact SUV Powered by Ziptron
I laughed a bit at the 0-60 of <9 seconds but it honestly is a nice looking vehicle inside and out.

· Registered
925 Posts
I just spent 4 weeks in India as well and I was suprised by the number of EV's I saw on the roads. I saw plenty of MG ZS EV's and Tata Nexon's EV's. Both in Delhi and Chandigarh (where I was mainly based). Also saw an EV6 in India. But the price is staggering. It starts from around 6 million Rs (AUD 108,000) before taxes and what not. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet any of the owners to talk to them. Interestingly I saw more BYD's on the roads in India than here in Australia. I didn't even think BYD's were being sold there.

Regarding the charging stations I noticed that there are plenty of them on Plugshare. But they are mostly 22kW chargers. In India you would definitely want a home charging setup but then most of the people don't park their cars inside (the concept of garages doesn't really exist in India unless you really care about your car) because they expand their houses to the point that no car can park even in the carport. And the people who live in high rises, well good luck trying to get any charges setup there. Like my parents live in a massive complex which has about 22 16 storey buildings with a massive underground shared carpark. Don't know how they would even get a charging setup done there and how much it would cost. This is the reality in major cities.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts