Polestar Forum banner

Would you buy another Polestar (of any type/model)?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m curious to learn what the current brand loyalty is to Polestar … so put together a poll to find out!

Before voting try to suspend any cynicism and assume they stick to their roadmap, OTA stability and app features continue to improve etc (as there’s no reason why they should not).

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am on the fence on this one.

But it is not about Polestar. I can accept the car as it is with it's flukes. But I'm not sure about using it for my long trips (by far most of my km's). The infrastructure is not ready, and I doubt that it will be any time soon because BEV sales are very high now and demand will exceed supply. Maybe with a Tesla and their charge network you would be ok (but I don't want a Tesla).

So it's my use case that is the problem. Maybe leave the Polestar to my wife to run errands and do shopping (a car half the price would have been more than good enough for that) and get back into my diesel for real world use.

Reactions: Bren1884

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let’s try not to bring infrastructure in to this (it’s a whole topic and poll in its own right) and try to keep it to the things the manufacture can directly control or it’ll skew results… the ‘switch manufacturer’ is your best vote that’s your overriding factor. But also in 1-2yrs it will have improved significantly, certainly in the UK, I can’t comment on other territories.

EV charging networks is definitely a factor for some but until this week I’ve actually had a good experience. It fell apart this week because I try to stick to BP and the reliability of those units is woeful and getting worse it seems. Also the education of charging tech is poor; I’ve helped two drivers now in company cars… one who thought his Jaguar would only work with BP chargers (?!), another whose company will only let him charge on BP and the app network was down, so was stranded after I found him at the fifth charge point! The latter is probably related to the former if his company has the same policy… one clearly decided upon by a non EV driver!

·
Registered
317 Posts
With Tesla offering an unbeatable infrastructure it's hard not to bring this into it. It's a package deal however you look at it.

·
Super Moderator
1,226 Posts
Tesla infrastructure is very easy to ignore for some people. I have charged away from home on a rapid exactly once since October. I simply could not give a hoot about Tesla's charging infrastructure because it simply doesn't matter to me.

I'm not finding the Polestar experience that great to be honest. I've got ongoing rattles and connectivity issues, there are stacks of promised features still undelivered, and my car that I've had only since October has been into the dealer more times for service work than my last three cars were during the entire nine years of ownership.

Android Automotive has been a bit of a damp squib as well with loads of key apps still missing which makes the absence of Apple CarPlay (something you take for granted on a 15k car now) even more annoying.

The car -looks- fantastic, and is very good value for money, but the shine has worn off for me now. I'm fed up with it and just want everything to be working, and all the promised features to be delivered. Feel a little bit let down truth be told.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree @stevelup Tesla infra has no bearing on my routes (I posted separately about this when I had a Tesla) and I’ve been “lucky” with my P2, with the exception of a bricked car, everything else has been fine (taps wood) and I knew getting in early was going to be a bumpy ride so to speak with OTA updates. Android has been a let down so far. Probably will get there in a year or two just like the infrastructure, but a lot us will be swapping cars again by then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I‘d buy a Polestar again in a heartbeat. Luckily my car has no issues whatsoever. I get that some people are waiting for promised features but frankly, those are not that important to me. I want my car to be reliable and fun to drive. On those fronts Polestar has delivered for me.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
730 Posts
I loved the way it looks and ordered a 3 year lease before driving it, as there were no other viable options for me at that time (Tesla Model Y not available, Jaguar I-Pace not great value for money).

Most of the annoying software issues will be resolved by the time the lease is up so they shouldn’t be a factor in getting another one, but there will be more options then, including from the likes of BMW and Audi.

Would I get another Polestar 2 instead of say an Audi A5 e-tron? For a lease, probably yes. As a purchase, very unlikely, due to quality issues.

My 8 year old A5 has less rattles and visible wear in internal materials than my six month Polestar 2. I managed to fix all the rattles (except the one from the rear seat belt) but there’s not much I can do about the poor material choices, especially where lower quality hard plastics were used. The plastic covers at the back of the front seats in particular are already terribly scratched and look worse than whatever Audi used in the 8 year old A5, which to me is shocking. Don’t get me started on the black gloss plastic around the gear selector and windows which already look terrible.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would buy a polestar again as I like the brand philosophy and the design style (used to like Saab's before they disappeared).

I do share the frustrations about missing promised features but overall the car does everything I was looking for. Precept could be ideal next Polestar.

·
Registered
Void, Slate, Non-PP on 19's
87 Posts
I agree with @kkonstan, I love the car but there are some things that do not stack up with the premium brand positioning: the order and delivery experience is poor and variable. I've had the car just over 1 week, but it was delivered without the infamous May OTA and no sign of it appearing for download (good or bad not sure yet). Some things about the interior seem a decade or more behind the times against Audi and BMW etc. Seat backs; and the parcel shelf is identical to the myriad Fords I've had over the decades compared to the hard split shelf BMW has which stores under the boot floor, a really good solution in my view. And let's not revisit the cup holder situation. I've had a seat belt rattle resonance at 70 on the A303 just the once, but there it is just like everyone else.

I've not suffered as others have, but I can see the similar issues starting to pop up that many others have reported here. I chose "possibly depending on future models" not because I dislike the car, I actually really like it, but in 4 years time at the end of my lease I will he comparing it to the other premium marques and what P* has on sale then. We'll see, they might have me for life, but they will have to lift their game from here. It is a really good start, but like Tesla they have their issues. Different issues to Tesla, but they are there nonetheless. But then for all we know, everyone is going to go through the same journey and the panacea is a decade away.

·
Registered
magnesium/slate/19"/tow/18xxx
119 Posts
AFAIK Polestar is the only car brand which has a philosophy of sustainability, reusability, and carbon footprint reduction. And they admit that it's a work in progress, that they're not there yet.
Plus it's a driver's car, while keeping an eye on practicality. It's all I ever want from a car.

Even if I switch brands, it will be an electric car. Never again will I pump black goo from under the ground, to burn it for getting from A to B. Even if it saves me 134 seconds on average per day.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Happy here. I actually like the hard plastic seatbacks and netting because of the kids. Much easier to clean.

I also really like their brand philosophy and focus on the environment and sustainability. I'd consider sticking with them for the ride.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
730 Posts
Happy here. I actually like the hard plastic seatbacks and netting because of the kids. Much easier to clean.

I also really like their brand philosophy and focus on the environment and sustainability. I'd consider sticking with them for the ride.
Don't get me wrong, I like the hard plastic seatbacks, I just like the plastic material / pattern Audi used more as it doesn't look terrible after just six months. No idea what my kids are doing to cause this, but I'm sure they didn't refrain from doing it on the Audi, so has to be poor material choice.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
572 Posts
Yes I agree with @kkonstan, some of the plastic choices are a bit crappy and the centre console materials are also not easy to keep clean and scuff up easily. All that said I always look forward to driving my car and I’m over 4000 miles in. No OTA issues thus far and the new feature deliveries keep that fresh car feel.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
BEVs from here on out? Yes, thank you.

Driving experience with this car? Excellent.

Practicality/useability/grocery getter, etc...? Also excellent.

Design philosophy and apparent corporate mission? 'Seems much better than the alternatives.

Niggles? I've had very, very few, thank God, and I'm sure that, a few years down the road, they'll have better materials and even better build quality.

So, yeah... I'm older now. Who knows? This could be my last car. But if I am in the market again, as far as I can tell from 2021, Polestar would be top of the list.

·
Registered
819 Posts
As an ex-owner I didn't vote, but my answers are:

1 I have no brand loyalty to Polestar, why should I? I like to switch brands, and go for whatever seems right at the time.

2. I have little confidence in future reliability. They have been around in the UK for nearly a year now, and nothing has improved in customer service or support. Initial build/component issues have been addressed, but should not have occured in the first place. Purely as an observer the OTA and phone app fiascos, to name but two, demonstrate to me that lessons have not been learned. Hopefully they will be, and soon.

3. Despite the empty words from Inglenath, they clearly don't give a toss about the customer. In their defence however, they are no worse than any other major player.

Sorry!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts