Polestar Forum banner

Would you buy another Polestar (of any type/model)?

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Moon PP Leather
I would not buy PS again for many reasons.
1. For me, EV is all about the combination of hardware and software. PS hardware might be good enough, because of Volvo, but its software is absolutely not there yet. I chose PS2 over T, because I had a high hope on Android Automotive and was expecting a fantastic synergy from both Volvo and Google. However, I am very disappointed on it after 6 months of ownership experience. For me, Android Automotive is one of Google's failures so far and it will disappear soon like many other programs, projects, and apps Google tried, unless they really invest and work hard on it. I still enjoy driving my PS2, but not because it is better than other cars, but for the overall design and it is still quite new..... To be honest, I enjoy driving my 4.5 year-old Miata way more than this brand new PS2. I really hope Google and PS figure out the software issues and add more useful apps which are working properly soon.
2. It is not an efficient car. It is heavy and range is quite miserable. PS talks about sustainability very often, but their car is not efficient, which means it is not very sustainable. For me, less energy and more range is efficient and sustainable, which is more environment friendly. PS2 is quite opposite.
3. I like the overall design, but few flaws are terrible. One cup holder? Rear seat middle bump? Tight right leg / knee room @ driver side? No seat back angle adjustment for the rear seat? Manually adjustable Ohlin dampers? No HUD? Awkwardly located center AC vents?
4. There are bunch of rattles from the doors, seatbelts, rear suspensions, behind of the steering wheel. It is absolutely annoying.
I value PS puts more on design and sustainability, but it is absolutely a part of marketing, which I care less.
Unless PS finds the way to improve the software and efficiency, I will look for other brands.

Registered
Android Automotive is one of Google's failures so far and it will disappear soon like many other programs, projects, and apps Google tried, unless they really invest and work hard on it.
This is a fair point and certainly a possibility. But I think they have a long way to go, and a lot of other brands have joined this coalition.

No seat back angle adjustment for the rear seat?
How many cars have adjustments for the rear seats??

Awkwardly located center AC vents?
I love the center vents. It gets them out of the way, cools the car since cool air drops, and doesn't blow directly on you which can be annoying.

PS talks about sustainability very often, but their car is not efficient
Definitely another fair point. A lot of the weight is battery which can't be helped, a lot is safety which is better than most. But hopefully this will still get better over time.

Registered
2021 2
I would not buy PS again for many reasons.
1. For me, EV is all about the combination of hardware and software. PS hardware might be good enough, because of Volvo, but its software is absolutely not there yet. I chose PS2 over T, because I had a high hope on Android Automotive and was expecting a fantastic synergy from both Volvo and Google. However, I am very disappointed on it after 6 months of ownership experience. For me, Android Automotive is one of Google's failures so far and it will disappear soon like many other programs, projects, and apps Google tried, unless they really invest and work hard on it. I still enjoy driving my PS2, but not because it is better than other cars, but for the overall design and it is still quite new..... To be honest, I enjoy driving my 4.5 year-old Miata way more than this brand new PS2. I really hope Google and PS figure out the software issues and add more useful apps which are working properly soon.
2. It is not an efficient car. It is heavy and range is quite miserable. PS talks about sustainability very often, but their car is not efficient, which means it is not very sustainable. For me, less energy and more range is efficient and sustainable, which is more environment friendly. PS2 is quite opposite.
3. I like the overall design, but few flaws are terrible. One cup holder? Rear seat middle bump? Tight right leg / knee room @ driver side? No seat back angle adjustment for the rear seat? Manually adjustable Ohlin dampers? No HUD? Awkwardly located center AC vents?
4. There are bunch of rattles from the doors, seatbelts, rear suspensions, behind of the steering wheel. It is absolutely annoying.
I value PS puts more on design and sustainability, but it is absolutely a part of marketing, which I care less.
Unless PS finds the way to improve the software and efficiency, I will look for other brands.
All totally on point. although I鈥檓 still more positively inclined to polestar, almost certainly because Ive so far lucked out of experiencing the major bugs and the pending missing/buggy features aren鈥檛 critical to me.

I feel like the software is really a disappointment. When everything is working Android Automotive is the best car infotainment system out there and promises to be even better when apps get filled out. It鈥檚 inexplicable why there鈥檚 so many continued issues though, especially around networking, which I thought Google had a better handle on. I feel like Google isn鈥檛 devoting their A-team to AAOS. I don鈥檛 think they are going to drop AAOS given all the OEMs that have signed on to it. But Google needs to realize, or polestar needs to make them realize, that continued failures here will result in a big lost opportunity for Google. If the software got worked out, AAOS would be a real value add that I would miss if I jumped to an VAG, BMW, Hyundai/ Kia, etc. car. If the software doesn鈥檛 get worked out I鈥檇 be fine just doing Apple car play in whichever car comes next.

the efficiency is what it is. I do think Polestar/Volvo need to do better at playing the aerodynamics game to get their efficiency up. And they hopefully have 800V architecture in their next platform. But comparing like for like their kWh/km efficiency is similar to other AWD cars of a similar size.

Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
the efficiency is what it is. I do think Polestar/Volvo need to do better at playing the aerodynamics game to get their efficiency up. And they hopefully have 800V architecture in their next platform. But comparing like for like their kWh/km efficiency is similar to other AWD cars of a similar size.
It would鈥檝e been great to have a true idea of the range before getting the car. 120-150 miles in the dead of winter depending on length of journeys and a solid 200-240 miles in summer. You know what, my lifestyle can live with that.
Personally, I find the body shape so cool I鈥檇 rather sacrifice a little efficiency than drive a blob.
Of course, when expecting the advertised 290 miles (and all the early reviewers mentioned these figures), there will be some initial disappointment. Especially as (for a while) we were told to charge to 80% max. Coupled with initial fear of dropping below 20%, range felt abysmal. I鈥檓 over that.
I was so keen to be an early adopter. But there was no anecdotal knowledge to be found about winter range. Hopefully potential owners now have the resources available to avoid such a surprise.

Registered
I took the PS2 on a 2 year lease in anticipation of the PS3 but I am afraid that I am 9 months into my 2 year lease and hardly any useful updates have been provided - even the latest OTA and app are hugely lacking in substance! Broken promises all the way (just watch how the dates for features like the app and carplay have moved later and later). As a result I highly doubt I'll consider the PS3 when it comes out.

Registered
No, I would never buy an EV with my own money. I only have one due to the tax benefits as a company car otherwise I would always choose an ICE car.

I will always be a petrolhead at heart, EVs may be quicker but they lack driver involvement and I have driven most of them.

As an EV the Polestar 2 is one of the best and for the price can't be beaten however so jn that respect I am very happy with my choice.

Registered
magnesium/slate/19"/tow/18xxx
"PS talks about sustainability very often, but their car is not efficient, which means it is not very sustainable"

I disagree. Efficiency is how good it is at converting stored energy into movement. Sustainability is environmental impact of the car from birth to death. Materials sourcing, production processes, recycling, reuse of components.

An EV consuming 40 kWh per 100 miles vs one that does 15 kWh per 100... if that electricity comes from solar panels on your house, both are 100% sustainable in their energy usage.
If the 40kwh/100 EV uses recycled lithium for its batteries while the 15kwh/100 EV sources it directly from the mines in Bolivia, the sustainability of the 15kWh/100 EV is rather poor.

I agree on your other points, I agree on your point of
efficiency, but you simply can't ditch sustainability on the basis of electrical efficiency

Premium Member
I took the PS2 on a 2 year lease in anticipation of the PS3 but I am afraid that I am 9 months into my 2 year lease and hardly any useful updates have been provided - even the latest OTA and app are hugely lacking in substance! Broken promises all the way (just watch how the dates for features like the app and carplay have moved later and later). As a result I highly doubt I'll consider the PS3 when it comes out.
A lot of this is due to the complexity of getting a truly new car and car company up and running. I'm sure they really didn't know how complicated it would be to do software while preventing hacking. In that light I'm actually amazed they delivered such a good car to us.

Is all the software there? Nope. With the current state of software, do I have a great car that is useful, stylish, and fun to drive? Absolutely.

Registered
Personally, I find the body shape so cool I鈥檇 rather sacrifice a little efficiency than drive a blob.
And of course this has always been the case even with ICEs. Dealers shine the car and stuck it out front on a pedestal to get you jazzed about how it looked. They didn't just stick a sign on an ugly car that said "30mpg" in order to sell it.

Especially as (for a while) we were told to charge to 80% max. Coupled with initial fear of dropping below 20%, range felt abysmal. I鈥檓 over that.
Unfortunately this is something few if any reviewers are over. It took me 3 years with a low range EV to understand that this is a nothing burger. A newbie to EVs will definitely have some initial disappointment.

Registered
that鈥檚 pretty much my situation too and how I feel. I鈥檓 glad I鈥檓 on a short 2 year lease as there will be more choice again in 18 months. Grand p,an for me is something wile an ionique 5 to replace the wife鈥檚 evoke apond the new lotus as our weekend car. :)

Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
I got the PS2 as a replacement for a BMW M4 Competition, and although it's inexpensive as a company car and nice and comfy/relaxing, it doesn't feel as special.

BEVs make sense in a lot of ways but aren't that exciting to me (at the moment). The Taycan might be exciting but I'd need to drive it.

When my lease is up (in about 18 mo), I'm currently thinking I'll probably get a utilitarian EV for family transport (to replace our VW Golf), and a fun ICE car to replace the Polestar.

Registered
feel as special.
I'm curious what this means. What makes any car "special"? Speed? Style? Handling? Comfort? etc.

The Taycan might be exciting but I'd need to drive it.
How might the Taycan be better? Different interior? Faster? Different style? Different infotainment system? Steering feel?

Obviously no EV is going to make the sounds of an ICE (except piped in), and there aren't going to be an gear change dynamics (though Porsche has been doing some of this for efficiency).

Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
I'm curious what this means. What makes any car "special"? Speed? Style? Handling? Comfort? etc.
This is a good point/question! It's hard to quantify and its probably quite a personal thing.

The PS2 is certainly exclusive: you don't see many about, and people ask me about it all the time. It's also comfortable (though some of the interior materials aren't up to scratch), but just feels a bit boring and safe to me.

It's probably partly that EVs do everything quite un-dramatically (quietly and safely). The fact that my M4 was constantly trying to kill me was some of the appeal. :p And although the PS2 was by far the best looking EV around when I ordered, I think it's partly the interior and exterior styling (including the infotainment).

And it's maybe also that I've not coveted a Polestar for years: it was a bit of an impulse purchase. I'd fancied an M-car for ages (I felt the same about my first Golf GTI which I'd wanted since I was a kid).

At the end of the day though, it's just a 拢50k car (albeit a shiny brand new one), and maybe I'm expecting too much of it! It's definitely a nice enough car, but other than the effortless (though undramatic) performance it feels equivalent to, say a 'normal' C-class or 3-series.

Registered
This is a fair point and certainly a possibility. But I think they have a long way to go, and a lot of other brands have joined this coalition. - I guess I still have a hope on AAOS and hope that Google and Volvo really work together to improve in the near future. However, OTA is another issue, and even if there are huge improvements on the software, if OTA doesn't really work like now, there is still no hope...

How many cars have adjustments for the rear seats?? - All my previous similar body shaped cars (wagon or hatchback), Mazda, Suzuki, Subaru, Volvo, have an adjustment for the rear seats, at least for the back angle.

I love the center vents. It gets them out of the way, cools the car since cool air drops, and doesn't blow directly on you which can be annoying. - For me, reaching out the vent and adjust the directions and angles are a bit tricky.

Definitely another fair point. A lot of the weight is battery which can't be helped, a lot is safety which is better than most. But hopefully this will still get better over time.

Registered
"PS talks about sustainability very often, but their car is not efficient, which means it is not very sustainable"

I disagree. Efficiency is how good it is at converting stored energy into movement. Sustainability is environmental impact of the car from birth to death. Materials sourcing, production processes, recycling, reuse of components.

An EV consuming 40 kWh per 100 miles vs one that does 15 kWh per 100... if that electricity comes from solar panels on your house, both are 100% sustainable in their energy usage.
If the 40kwh/100 EV uses recycled lithium for its batteries while the 15kwh/100 EV sources it directly from the mines in Bolivia, the sustainability of the 15kWh/100 EV is rather poor.

I agree on your other points, I agree on your point of
efficiency, but you simply can't ditch sustainability on the basis of electrical efficiency
I agree on your point of the definition of sustainable. However, it is very important to use less energy and go further to be more sustainable from the manufacturer. I was told that EV is worse on environmental impact on manufacturing it vs. ICE cars. Well, it depends on how to compare and what are the criteria. So I will say manufacturing of cars between EV and ICE are even on environmental impact. Using the source of electricity is on the consumer's control, not manufacturer's control. So then there is one big item that manufacturer can control to contribute more sustainable, which is efficiency. So efficiency is very important for me in terms of sustainable. PS2 is decent and I have no issue at all on the range for my daily use. However, PS2 is not more sustainable than other EVs are on the market now for the efficiency. That was my point of efficiency and sustainable.

Registered
2021 2
I agree on your point of the definition of sustainable. However, it is very important to use less energy and go further to be more sustainable from the manufacturer. I was told that EV is worse on environmental impact on manufacturing it vs. ICE cars. Well, it depends on how to compare and what are the criteria. So I will say manufacturing of cars between EV and ICE are even on environmental impact. Using the source of electricity is on the consumer's control, not manufacturer's control. So then there is one big item that manufacturer can control to contribute more sustainable, which is efficiency. So efficiency is very important for me in terms of sustainable. PS2 is decent and I have no issue at all on the range for my daily use. However, PS2 is not more sustainable than other EVs are on the market now for the efficiency. That was my point of efficiency and sustainable.
Great points. Though, if you check www.carboncounter.com you can see that across a variety of conditions, the Polestar 2's carbon cost/mi is less than comparable ICE cars. Certain PHEVs and hybrids are better depending on assumptions, but using my local conditions in California it's pretty clearly better over its lifetime from a carbon perspective compared to even PHEVs or hybrids.

$/mi is another story of course...

Registered

How might the Taycan be better? Different interior? Faster? Different style? Different infotainment system? Steering feel?

Obviously no EV is going to make the sounds of an ICE (except piped in), and there aren't going to be an gear change dynamics (though Porsche has been doing some of this for efficiency).
for me it鈥檚 the difference between DRIVING a car and it being TRANPORT. BEVs for all their good points are transport whist a good performance ICE is driven to get the best from the engine and chassis. That means using the engine to keep it in its power band and to exploit its handling with a light chassis and overall low weight. For those who like transport BEVs are great but ICE rules for Driving.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts