Polestar Forum banner

Would you buy another Polestar (of any type/model)?

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
I respect your position. Driving a BEV takes less skill and knowledge, but I am still actively involved in driving the Polestar and still really enjoy how it accelerates, brakes, and handles. It's not just transport to me.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
for me it’s the difference between DRIVING a car and it being TRANPORT. BEVs for all their good points are transport whist a good performance ICE is driven to get the best from the engine and chassis. That means using the engine to keep it in its power band and to exploit its handling with a light chassis and overall low weight. For those who like transport BEVs are great but ICE rules for Driving.
I don't see how a chassis would make a difference. I good chassis is the same regardless of the propulsion system. And without a doubt battery packs will get smaller and weigh less in the future. As for dynamics, putting 80% of the weight of the car below the floor boards is going to provide driving dynamics unmatched by anything with a 1000lbs hunk of metal above the floor boards. I guess you could say that body lean is part of the "fun"? That despite manufacturers trying to negate it since the dawn of the auto?

As for the ICE, it sounds like you enjoy "working" it. Personally I'm fond of less physical work in the process. When I was younger I always had to "work" at getting my car going, and wished it was faster and I could work it faster. I always dreamed of owning a Porsche or Ferrari because I thought the power delivery would be faster and require less "work" to get to fast. Now with an EV that dream has come true. The connection between my foot and the speed of the car is so direct and immediate, it's beyond what I ever could have dreamed of as a kid.

If you just need transportation buy a Toyota or Subaru. Slow engine response unless you "work" it really hard, and poor driving dynamics that will test your soul. But it will get you where you need to go!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I respect your position. Driving a BEV takes less skill and knowledge, but I am still actively involved in driving the Polestar and still really enjoy how it accelerates, brakes, and handles. It's not just transport to me.
I could argue that a car this fast requires somewhat more skill -- as opposed to "work".

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
If you just need transportation buy a Toyota or Subaru. Slow engine response unless you "work" it really hard, and poor driving dynamics that will test your soul. But it will get you where you need to go!
Now, now... I'm not sure about Toyotas, but I know there are Subarus out there that are great fun to drive.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It is a hard question. For me the biggest issues with the car would be somewhat mitigated if I lived within decent distance of a service center. I knew what I was getting into so to speak, but my car has been 3 weeks away from me due to 2 long shipments, and the associate service of the vehicle. Through that lens, there is trepidation about keeping the car long term as each shipment (covered by warranty due to what the problem has been) has been roughly $2K round trip. Not having a plan in place for this in the US is a problem. There is a wishlist of features that we are hoping for, some of which we expected by now, but that is par for the course I think with owning a launch vehicle. I will say that I love the drive and the looks of the car, and the range since the OTA and summer weather onset is a tremendous plus. If a friend or family member were to ask if I would buy again, I'd probably say no however. Challenge is knowing what to get instead.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Driving a BEV takes less skill and knowledge
Eh... I'm not so sure. I appreciate that people enjoy manuals and that the experience is part of the fun of driving for them, but I disagree that it means that BEVs can't be fun or "driver's" cars and that there's less skill required to drive them.

Keep in mind that at the top levels 90% of the skill required to drive a manual transmission car smoothly is intentionally eliminated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't see how a chassis would make a difference. I good chassis is the same regardless of the propulsion system. And without a doubt battery packs will get smaller and weigh less in the future. As for dynamics, putting 80% of the weight of the car below the floor boards is going to provide driving dynamics unmatched by anything with a 1000lbs hunk of metal above the floor boards. I guess you could say that body lean is part of the "fun"? That despite manufacturers trying to negate it since the dawn of the auto?

As for the ICE, it sounds like you enjoy "working" it. Personally I'm fond of less physical work in the process. When I was younger I always had to "work" at getting my car going, and wished it was faster and I could work it faster. I always dreamed of owning a Porsche or Ferrari because I thought the power delivery would be faster and require less "work" to get to fast. Now with an EV that dream has come true. The connection between my foot and the speed of the car is so direct and immediate, it's beyond what I ever could have dreamed of as a kid.

Weight dear boy….weight

·
Registered
132 Posts
No brand loyalty, but the PS is one car I really enjoy to drive. So far no real issues, no noises, no connection problems, no OTA problems. Knock on wood!
Range is more than good enough for me, and the new deal with Ionity is a big bonus.
I lease mine and it is much cheaper than comparable cars.

Will I get another in three years time? It delends on what is on the marked then. Battery technology is set to change in a few years time. Solid state batteries may kill off our current EV cars.
Exciting times!

·
Registered
108 Posts
If no one told you how much this car weighed, or how big the battery was, you'd be hard pressed to guess within 500 lbs based on driving dynamics.
I totally agree but that does not change the fact that weight has a huge impact on the driving dynamics

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I totally agree but that does not change the fact that weight has a huge impact on the driving dynamics
There is no question about that. But I'm suggesting that the driving dynamics of this car are good enough that unless you were a professional driver, you'd not know the weight unless you were told.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, just to be different, I have just bought my second P*2! I sold the first one after 9 weeks of ownership and missed the way it drove. Strangely, I found myself agreeing with everything said above. I agree that my ICE (Cayman) really makes you want to drive it for fun - the engine, chassis, steering etc. But, I also adore driving the p* for its instant acceleration, smoothness and silence around town. Both put big smiles on my face. So as I said, I agree with all of your comments.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,743 Posts
Well, just to be different, I have just bought my second P*2! I sold the first one after 9 weeks of ownership and missed the way it drove. Strangely, I found myself agreeing with everything said above. I agree that my ICE (Cayman) really makes you want to drive it for fun - the engine, chassis, steering etc. But, I also adore driving the p* for its instant acceleration, smoothness and silence around town. Both put big smiles on my face. So as I said, I agree with all of your comments.
It’s called ex-appeal.
Been down that road a couple of times 😬

61 - 78 of 78 Posts