Polestar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I put my order in for a P*2 in Midnight this morning so just waiting for the bean counters at work to approve. I am also having the charger fitted on the 9th March.
I have a 2 car drive, however, this is one car parked behind the other, so as I am always last in, I will be the furthest from the charger (7kw), which means that I will have to buy a 15m lead. So I have 2 questions:-

1:- Where is the best place to buy a 15m lead. Will I need a 16A or 32A?
2:- What is the best amperage setting on the car, to get the best charging rate out of the home charger?

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi All,
I put my order in for a P*2 in Midnight this morning so just waiting for the bean counters at work to approve. I am also having the charger fitted on the 9th March.
I have a 2 car drive, however, this is one car parked behind the other, so as I am always last in, I will be the furthest from the charger (7kw), which means that I will have to buy a 15m lead. So I have 2 questions:-

2:- What is the best amperage setting on the car, to get the best charging rate out of the home charger?

Thanks
1. I bought a 10m cable from ev one stop and it wasn't quite long enough. So then I bought a 5m extension from 4ev, both 32a and it has been working fine. I think you'll only get about half the juice from your wall box if you use a 16a cable. I'm sure others on here can confirm that.
2. I just put it to the max, not sure if that is the correct thing to do but I seem to get around the 7kwh charge rate if the wall box (pod point).

Hope that helps

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is my charger at home. A Zappi with 3 fase 32A and a cable to match it. I’ll be loading up the PS with 11kWh. That‘s yet to be confirmed as I am still awaiting delivery of the car (end of March)

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,026 Posts
You definitely need a 32A single phase cable and set the car to maximum charge rate. Make sure you get a decent one, don't skimp... These cables seem well thought of:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks
If you buy a 32 amp cable the car will ask for the lot, any losses due to cable length (shouldn't be much) have nothing to do with the car/charger connections they are just a natural loss with no harm done.

If you get a 16 amp cable you will get similar % losses so it will take longer for car to charge, while 32a cable won't really lose much as far as I can tell. A no brainer for me.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,026 Posts
Also note that with a 16A cable, i.e. a max of about 3.7kW, it could take up to 20 hours or more to do a complete charge - it's no longer an overnight thing. 32A is unquestionably the way to go, 16A is not even worth considering.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If you get a 16 amp cable you will get similar % losses so it will take longer for car to charge, while 32a cable won't really lose much as far as I can tell. A no brainer for me.
The difference in losses between a 16 and 32A cable are ~90% (2.5mm^2 vs. 4mm^2). As the losses from the cable are <0.1% (guestimated) of the overall charging losses, it won't be noticable, though.
The main advantage of the thicker cable is a) single phase charging with higher currents and b) compatibality with some older 22kW 3P chargers, which refuse to work with 16A cables.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks
Hi Chris
I had exactly the same situation.
Telephone EV One Stop and they will make a custom length cable for you, exactly to your specifications.
In my case I ordered the following: EVPL0091 - 10.5M 32A Type 2 tethered cable. = £122.50 plus VAT
I then asked my local electrician to swap them over on my Zappi Charger.
This was August 2019 and I have had no trouble either on my previous EV' Hyundai Ioniq or my current Polestar 2.
Any other questions, just send me a message.
Good luck
Michael

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
495 Posts
I'd probably steer clear of 'extensions' personally. I'm not an electrician but I've heard stories of them not working properly!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts