Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread on operating the P*2 in extreme cold. I'm trying to get a better sense of what extreme cold will do to the battery, and how quickly. Also curious to understand if the car will do anything to mitigate this (e.g., actively warm the battery).

I regularly drive to go skiing early in the morning at high elevation in Colorado, where the temperatures can be as low as -10F (-25C), and I occasionally drive (but don't stop to ski) in temperatures as low as -25F (-30C). It's a 30-minute drive up the hill, so I would arrive with a warm car (no idea how warm the battery would be though). I would typically stay for 2 hours and then head home.

At what point do you run into danger of not being able to "start" your car due to the battery being too cold?

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Ok.... pure speculation here... but 1) you're getting a car designed by people who design cars for cold weather... and 2) a BEV should be much more reliable for starting in cold weather.

So I don't know... but I speculate you'll be ok even at (yikes!) -25 F. BTW, did y'all know that the two scales overlap at -40?

Reactions: SA69-ev

·
Registered
2021 2
2,586 Posts
Think you should be alright. Polestar has tested the 2 in the arctic circle, and St Bjorn has done his own arctic circle road trip

him seeing it in the arctic circle:

his road trip to the circle:

and how to heat the battery prior to charging/going:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I´m in Quebec and used to have a Leaf. No issue at -30c except for a very short range. Unlike a ICE which can be extremely stiff at that temp, the Leaf operated just as well as in summer. It could stay unplugged in the resort parking for 3-4 hours, then I would pre-heat it with the app on the last lift run. A warm car would wait for me after. I’m sure the P2 will work just as well.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'll take the optimistic slant and hope for the best. Sure would like to be able to dial up a warm car from my phone though!!!!!

Edit: I guess I can schedule that now, though at least!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Am I the only one who is sitting here going "-30deg ..... who in their right mind would get out the house for that, let alone drive somewhere?" :D

·
Registered
764 Posts
Take it how you will, brand new car, sitting around 0/1°C overnight and I lost 5% charge overnight.
That's strange. Björn Nyland did not see that sort of drop. He saw a very small drop over a couple of weeks left out in freezing temperatures.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Take it how you will, brand new car, sitting around 0/1°C overnight and I lost 5% charge overnight.
My car has been not moved all week, Parked on my Drive in 0-5deg ... with 0-1deg C at night. And I've not lost even 1%. Was still at 70% when I got in this morning.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
194 Posts
My car has been not moved all week, Parked on my Drive in 0-5deg ... with 0-1deg C at night. And I've not lost even 1%. Was still at 70% when I got in this morning.
Mine was charged to 80% on a Rapid charger before nipping home, been on the drive last night (not normal) as it normally stays in the garage. 0deg last night and not shifted still on 80%

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
The battery pack is very well insulated. So it retains any generated heat very well and it's a lot less susceptible to extreme cold.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The battery pack is very well insulated. So it retains any generated heat very well and it's a lot less susceptible to extreme cold.
Interesting - definitely didn't know that. But makes sense that it would be insulated. Thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Am I the only one who is sitting here going "-30deg ..... who in their right mind would get out the house for that, let alone drive somewhere?" :D
I actually love skiing in the cold and in storms. Keeps the riff-raff away, too. And, as the Norwegians (apparently) say, "there 's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." So proper clothing helps.

For the Norwegians on the site, is this actually something Norwegians say, or something that Americans say that Norwegians say?

·
Registered
864 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm freaked out enough by this that I'm already planning to use Mr. PS2's ICE Volvo on the days in Chicago (Chiberia) winters when the polar vortex makes it colder than Norway. Luckily it looks like I'll still be working from home this season.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I'm freaked out enough by this that I'm already planning to use Mr. PS2's ICE Volvo on the days in Chicago (Chiberia) winters when the polar vortex makes it colder than Norway. Luckily it looks like I'll still be working from home this season.
I think you'll be surprised that an EV is more reliable in frigid weather than any ICE.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I took a trip up to a resort last week, went up to Brighton. Started at 5000 feet, went up to 8700 feet. It’s about 50 minutes from my house, I got 60kwh/100 miles on the way up and 32kwh/100 miles on the way back (only 1/3 of the trip is the mountain). It was about 15°f and didn’t have any range anxiety issues, I think remaining range never dipped below 90 or so.

It rarely gets too far below zero here and when it does it usually warms up a bit as the morning goes on. From what I’ve seen I don’t expect trouble.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts