Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've waited a long time for this car, so after a week with it, here are some highs, and a bunch of things that could be better:

• If you are buying this car sight unseen, be aware that the cockpit is small. There is not gobs of legroom, and almost no toe room. This does not even compare to my S80 or S60, and so it's a little disappointing.
  • The console is so high that it almost feels confining. I'm glad I got the slate interior least it seem claustrophobic.
  • Android Automotive needs a lot of work. The best UIs have very intuitive navigation. This does not. At a minimum it needs a physical back button on the console. It could be right next to the volume dial. There are so many embedded screens, and different ways of backing out of each of them. It's most annoying. A simple hard back button would help that. A hard Home button wouldn't be bad either. I know Android got away from that, but this is a car not a phone.
  • Google trip and charging information is inadequate. It's doesn't give you sufficient information about chargers, and it's perfectly ok with you reaching your destination at 0%, not realizing that you really need another stop.
  • The Power Meter could use an instantaneous kw usage readout. That would help illuminate how much juice is being used by the HVAC system, or to warm the battery when you are standing still.
  • It would be nice to have an app that shows how much juice gets eaten up by cold temps, HVAC usage, driving speed, etc. This is the kind of thing that helps you maximize range.
  • The range algorithm is suspect, and doesn't seem based on real driving. Every time I charge up to 90% it says I have 210 miles of range, but I've never gotten that (adding what I've driven and what's left). It should provide an estimate based on most recent usage patterns.
  • A lighted charger port is nice, but the white light on one side is blinding and does nothing to guide the user at night to find the outlet. It's really counter productive.
  • As others have noted, the cameras are definitely of poor quality.
  • Rear visibility out the back window is almost nonexistent. Despite having BLIS I like to watch cars go from my back window, to my side mirror, to my side window. That can't happen in the P2. You have to always trust BLIS. And I find myself having to turn my head more often because I don't like to only trust a system that can have faults (as my last car did occasionally).
  • I find Pilot Assist the way it's implemented of almost no value. It won't work without input for more than a couple of seconds, and when it's on it's constantly fighting you which makes it more annoying than anything else. LKA should be sufficient, but compared to my last car I find that it's not particularly vigilant even with bright lines.
  • Speed sign recognition is useless. The constant beeping (can be turned off) is annoying, and accuracy is non-existent. On a 20 mile long stretch of 55mph road it was 25 half the time and 80 the other half.
  • Pull down visors can be moved to the side window but not slid backwards to fully cover the window. My Chevy did that, so why not on a much higher end vehicle.
  • The inability to bring your own music into the car is just dumb.
  • Why doesn't the "Drive" screen have my exact car pulling up across the screen?
    Emoji
  • Contrary to what others have complained about, the black lacquer in the console is stunning
  • The interior design is pure understated elegance -- gorgeous!
  • If you got the 20" non-PP wheels you really know what a great car looks like on the outside 😉
  • This car is faster than anyone in their right mind could want/need for a daily driver. Who cares that a 3 is a few tenths faster. It's irrelevant.
  • The car drives like a dream. Quiet, silky smooth and responsive.
  • The Android Automotive options are ultra configurable, almost to a fault. I continue to find new things it can do.
  • The car has loads of nice finishing touches and conveniences both inside and out.
  • I love the panoramic roof. I rarely opened my sun roofs anyway.
  • Obviously safety is a huge plus compared to almost any other car.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
btw - the white thin bar at the bottom acts as a software home button. So when deep into menus you can at least get back to home easily. And usually there's a top left " < " indicating a back feature for apps/settings with multiple layers.

Not the same as physical home/back buttons but figuring all that out made life much easier.

And in the home screen, you can swipe within a given quadrant to reveal other apps to get to from that section of the 4 tile view. Makes switching between apps easier.

·
Registered
California
603 Posts
Ugh I was hoping having physical controls would be an advantage over the Model 3. Shame there’s no physical back.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
btw - the white thin bar at the bottom acts as a software home button. So when deep into menus you can at least get back to home easily. And usually there's a top left " < " indicating a back feature for apps/settings with multiple layers.

Not the same as physical home/back buttons but figuring all that out made life much easier.
Yes. But sometimes you don't want to go home, just back to the last screen. And the back buttons are all mixed up. Some are "x", some are "<", some are in the top right, and some are in the top left. When you are driving a car, simplicity and consistency are keys.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ugh I was hoping having physical controls would be an advantage over the Model 3. Shame there’s no physical back.
Well, compared to the Teslas, we have scads of physical controls... so I'm happy about that.
Overall there are still plenty of physical controls, and no question it is miles ahead of the model 3 interface. But that back button would really be nice.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really can't believe I haven't gotten more blowback for this thread. But just the same I need to add another quirk that hasn't been addressed elsewhere. The auto-brights are a bit overly touchy in how quickly they dip. And there is no reason on earth why once you turn on the auto feature, it shouldn't stay on until you turn it off. As it is you have to turn it back on every time you get back in the car.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I really can't believe I haven't gotten more blowback for this thread.
Challenge Accepted! 🤩

If you are buying this car sight unseen, be aware that the cockpit is small. There is not gobs of legroom, and almost no toe room. This does not even compare to my S80 or S60, and so it's a little disappointing.
So what you are saying is ... there isn't as much room as a larger car?

The console is so high that it almost feels confining. I'm glad I got the slate interior least it seem claustrophobic.
Its wraps around like nice a warm blanket! Hmmmmmm cosy!
With that roof how can anyone feel claustrophobic? It's like being bald ... all fresh and natural!

Android Automotive needs a lot of work.
Ok you got me there ...

The Power Meter could use an instantaneous kw usage readout.
The range algorithm is suspect.
As others have noted, the cameras are definitely of poor quality.
Speed sign recognition is useless.

A lighted charger port is nice, but the white light on one side is blinding and does nothing to guide the user at night to find the outlet.
This is so your face is lit when plugging in ... so others can see your smug face you own a great looking EV, almost as good looking as you, and will make others jealous!

Rear visibility out the back window is almost nonexistent.
Who needs a rear view when you have such great things as a rear camera!
(I find the blind spot monitoring works very well though.)

Pull down visors can be moved to the side window but not slid backwards to fully cover the window.
Do what ever driver has done since the beginning of time and use your hand at the side of your face! What's wrong ... hand too weak?
(I actually miss this too ... both my Kia's had this! Even my 9 year old son pointed this out over xmas!)

The inability to bring your own music into the car is just dumb.
Music is for the uneducated ... listen to Local Talk Radio - that's true enlightenment!

Why doesn't the "Drive" screen have my exact car pulling up across the screen?
Always wanting things aren't you? First the App, then a stable UI, then a stable 4G, etc.. these poor coders have to go to school all day then work all night in the Chinese "social grouping accommodation shelters"

Contrary to what others have complained about, the black lacquer in the console is stunning
Let's review that in 6 months....

Google trip and charging information is inadequate. It's doesn't give you sufficient information about chargers, and it's perfectly ok with you reaching your destination at 0%, not realizing that you really need another stop.
Come live in a real country where at most you'll stop once on a long trip then it's no longer a problem!
Doing 250 miles in 7 hours ... now that's a real motorway adventure! hmm the joys of the M1 and M6!

·
Registered
834 Posts
@JRRF, I'm pretty happy overall, but there are some points in your observations that really resonate with me. Some of them are things that I also don't like about my 25 year old Volvo - there is just not quite enough legroom for a tall person - it feels like it was designed for someone around 6' (~180cm) tall or less. Not a showstopper, but at 6'3" (~190cm) on long drives, it's the very slightest bit annoying. Otherwise I like the "cocooning" effect of the cockpit. I also use Pilot Assist often, and use ACC nearly all the time. I find it works very well for me once I got used to it. Most of our roads are pretty well painted here. I have used Android for a very long time - AA is definitely a step back as the current version is based on Pie (9). I am not as concerned about this as software related things should be improved the fastest...and deployment is simple. Many of the things we dislike can be fixed in software - that is a wonderful thing! Speaking of which, I agree with the auto headlights. I find that even in the daytime it's automatic now for me to flip them on. It's my replacement for a "start" button I guess. ;-) But if the US would finally change the law on smart headlights, we could just get the full Pixel experience in an OTA update. Let's hope that happens.

Anyway, I for one appreciated your post and all other reviews and experiences. It helps me understand MY reactions and feelings about the car. Honestly, I've never obsessed this much about any automobile I've ever owned. When I got my 850R new back in the day, I wanted to drive it to show my friends and take them for rides. I enjoyed driving it also, but with my Polestar 2, I am actually finding excuses to just get out and drive. It's like a combination of the sensory, emotional boost I got from the performance of the 850R with the intellectual stimulation I get from using a freshly home-built PC, setting up and configuring software and tweaking it for maximum efficiency and performance. The best of both worlds. I just wish I had root access to the OS and the source code to hack on - but it's probably good that I don't! 😁

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what you are saying is ... there isn't as much room as a larger car?
Actually my Volt, which is smaller overall, had a larger cockpit and more legroom.

Its wraps around like nice a warm blanket! Hmmmmmm cosy!
With that roof how can anyone feel claustrophobic? It's like being bald ... all fresh and natural!
The roof is definitely very nice. Of course being bald means airplanes can now see me naked.

This is so your face is lit when plugging in ... so others can see your smug face you own a great looking EV, almost as good looking as you, and will make others jealous!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Who needs a rear view when you have such great things as a rear camera!
Actually the view out the rear camera is really poor too.

(I actually miss this too ... both my Kia's had this! Even my 9 year old son pointed this out over xmas!)
Funny, my daughter noticed this also.

Music is for the uneducated ... listen to Local Talk Radio - that's true enlightenment!
When most of my driving was commuting, most of my listening was to NPR. Of course now that my only driving is for pleasure, music has become more important as my brain withers.

Always wanting things aren't you? First the App, then a stable UI, then a stable 4G, etc.. these poor coders have to go to school all day then work all night in the Chinese "social grouping accommodation shelters"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with the auto headlights. I find that even in the daytime it's automatic now for me to flip them on. It's my replacement for a "start" button I guess. ;-)
Funny how we need something to do when we get in the car. It's taking some getting used to for sure. At some point I can see myself getting in another car and wondering why it's not going 😆

Honestly, I've never obsessed this much about any automobile I've ever owned. When I got my 850R new back in the day, I wanted to drive it to show my friends and take them for rides.
I obsessed this much over my much loved S80 V8. There were very few built, it was a beast with the V8. It also had every gadget and safety feature know to the auto industry at that time. Also a gorgeous car.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
with my Polestar 2, I am actually finding excuses to just get out and drive. It's like a combination of the sensory, emotional boost I got from the performance of the 850R with the intellectual stimulation I get from using a freshly home-built PC, setting up and configuring software and tweaking it for maximum efficiency and performance. The best of both worlds. I just wish I had root access to the OS and the source code to hack on - but it's probably good that I don't! 😁
exactly this!
This is exactly how I feel.

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
The auto-brights are a bit overly touchy in how quickly they dip. And there is no reason on earth why once you turn on the auto feature, it shouldn't stay on until you turn it off. As it is you have to turn it back on every time you get back in the car.
This is different from the Matrix high-beams the rest of the world uses. Get your laws changed ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is different from the Matrix high-beams the rest of the world uses. Get your laws changed ;)
Sorry, too busy at the moment trying to keep our government intact... :(

Anyway, the IIHS has been giving cars lower safety ratings due to poor headlights that have to follow US law. This is a good impetus for the NTHSB to update our antiquated headlight laws.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts