Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I did my first ever in the wild charge (took advantage whilst Mrs S was at the dentist) it was pretty slow but it worked so I’ll chalk that up to a success. It was using EV Dot and apart from user error on order of doing things all good.

Out of interest what is a “reasonable price” per kWh?

·
Registered
Non PP, Midnight, Load Bars
138 Posts
If you use the BP pulse and are registered its 15p / kWh
The BP Pulse pricing does vary per charger. Some of the legacy or shared provider chargers can be expensive. Example. My local 50kw charger is 15p but the nearest 150 is 20p per kwh. Some have high connection charges as well. keep an eye on your credit.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Looks like that's with the supplied cable, I guess? The 32A cable should charge at 31-32A on the display.

Normal prices for rapids (without contract) are about 30-45p/kWh. For 7kWh pods it can be less but I'm not sure exactly how much as the ones we use are on free vend :).

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like that's with the supplied cable, I guess? The 32A cable should charge at 31-32A on the display.

Normal prices for rapids (without contract) are about 30-45p/kWh. For 7kWh pods it can be less but I'm not sure exactly how much as the ones we use are on free vend :).
Yes indeed current 16a cable, annoyingly a day before I get the better cable.

It was only 10 mins from home, so was just a test and was curious on pricing. Yes I have my BP Pulse card but no BP chargers particularly close or well placed.

@rgledhill how do you do free vend away from home? 🤔

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
At the moment, I don't get away from home 🙁 But when it's allowed, we have a cafe not far away with two free 7kW chargers, another café with a free 22kW a.c. charger, and Evesham Country Park shopping centre has 4 7 kW chargers for free 🙂

·
Registered
138 Posts
I went to the local Asda in Warrington today, 4 Pod-Point chargers advertised and in Pod-Point app but only two there...both in use. Not happy

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
There's a couple of 3kW Pod Point chargers near our local McDonald's.

Do I go there? No - firstly, McDonald's... secondly, 3kW isn't worth getting out of bed for, and thirdly.... due to inadequate power supply... they're powered by diesel generators!!! o_O:eek:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am beginning to think Kent is way behind other places...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Essex seems to be ok.

All the council car parks in Chelmsford seem to have a 50KW BP Pulse charger and you can park for free for 3 hours.

And then Boreham service station on the outskirts that links with the A12 has a 150KW fast charger.

Also the massive Gridserve place is just 20 mins away from me :D

·
Registered
839 Posts
So if I wonder off in to town and my car reaches 90% and cuts off, then i'm no longer charging - Does that mean I can't then park for free?
I don't know how it works there, but many of the chargers I've used here in the US you pay for the charging but get the spot to park free, however once your charge completes you get a countdown timer to move and then you start getting charged for blocking the spot.

·
Registered
2021 PS2 Void
113 Posts
There's a couple of 3kW Pod Point chargers near our local McDonald's.

Do I go there? No - firstly, McDonald's... secondly, 3kW isn't worth getting out of bed for, and thirdly.... due to inadequate power supply... they're powered by diesel generators!!! o_O:eek:
I wish there was a Thumbs Down / Dislike. I would use it for this. Certainly not to disrepect you. I mean diesel generators!?!? What's the point of all of this? Maybe they are bio-diesel generators and they are using the fryolator fat to power them. That would get bonus points.

Wait. Do they call McDonald French Fries "Chips" there? Seems like an insult to Chips.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,587 Posts
I wish there was a Thumbs Down / Dislike. I would use it for this. Certainly not to disrepect you. I mean diesel generators!?!? What's the point of all of this? Maybe they are bio-diesel generators and they are using the fryolator fat to power them. That would get bonus points.

Wait. Do they call McDonald French Fries "Chips" there? Seems like an insult to Chips.
Can't find the video at the moment, but a friend hacked together a McDonald's powered bus in the Bay Area when I was in grad school. He got an old school bus off an auction and converted the engine to be able to run off clarified oil scrounged from local restaurants. He may have lived in it for a while, parking in public lots around the area, achieving a near complete win of basically having no housing or transport costs while in the ultra-expensive Bay Area for years. IIRC got decent mileage and was never at a loss for finding restaurants willing to give him their old oil.

Honestly, I kind of wonder if a recycled/reused biodiesel-powered range extender engine would be an awesome way for EVs to go in terms of sustainability and closing the existing holes in EV use?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts