Polestar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haa. So 11 days in with Polestar 2, I decide to try a fast charge with the EA network. Look at the app, 4 chargers @ grocery store (king sooper, Glendale CO).
Says 3 are idle. (There’s an ID4 plugged into one) So, I pull in, hook up, spend some time trying to get the phone wallet to attach to the charger, reconnect cable error message, try again, 3 times. No joy.
Call EA support, start the charge session from the phone, using the charger number, plug car in, initializing, I go to buy groceries. I return to find car in charge error condition, and now all charger slots are occupied, the ID4, an I3, and a Niro, and all the owners are standing behind cars on cell phones talking to EA help. Quote from the i3 owner “oh these things suck, I don’t think they’ve worked herefor 3 months”.
So, not really a great first time experience. Hope this is not representing typical experience. Is EA network super terrible or was it just having a bad day in other peoples experience?

·
Registered
101 Posts
From what I have read on the forums (I’ve owned 85 cars so I’ve been on a lot of forums and many of those EV) — it seems hit/miss and also related to where you are in the country. It also seems like they have gotten better, but clearly your example states otherwise. I’ve had similar experiences —-

When we first got a non-Tesla EV and they first erected EA stations near me (Cleveland, Ohio)— i found that it often failed on the first/second tower, and that was annoying. Unlike the 99.9% perfection rate with Tesla, the EA stations seem to be down half the time, or just not work. A phone call has usually fixed it for me. With the XC40/Polestar, there were also some issues early on with the SIGNET brand towers, that did not work but has sine been resolved.

EA support tends to be REALLY good on the phone so that is their saving grace i suppose; that you get good tech support. But that you have to call support at all sucks. FWIW, i have found that plugging in first, then using the app to start a charge, works best (was the case on my Porsche Taycan, Audi eTron SUV, etc). With the Polestar I’ve used an EA charger just once and it worked great using my Apple Watch and the RFID tag scanner, but even that, the handshake takes a while.

If you have other EA chargers nearby, maybe give those a shot; try off hours so you can sample a few towers, and see how that goes. Also, try to arrive in the 15-20% SOC so that you may receive the max kW to see how that goes. My first/only Polestar visit (I’ve had other cars as noted but Polestar only 1.5 weeks) i had to hit a 2nd tower, was getting 43kW at first tower, at 30% SOC — moved to another tower and instantly hit 149kW charging — so again, both worked, but not as intended obviously. EA chargers are the most robust network we can, and free for 2 years now for polestar new buyers— but also keep sight of other options i guess— hmpf.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
23 Posts
I tried charging in Glendale with our E-tron about a month ago. I was able to get two of the chargers to work, but they were limited to about 37kW. With the state of charge of our E-tron I should have seen 150kW. I reported to EA and never heard a response.

I've had much better luck with the EA chargers between Colorado Springs and Phoenix. I've driven that route several times with almost no issues. It's frustrating that certain sites seem to have major problems, and they aren't getting fixed.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar2 Magnesium
53 Posts
I’ve used 4 different EA locations with the Polestar free 30 minutes. All have worked fine. Pull up to charge station plug in and using the EA app identify the charger I’m plugged into then when it acknowledges I tell it to start charge. I have gone over the 30 minutes twice and been charged for the extra time. Charge rates have been ok but of course I would like a full charge in ten minutes or less 🤓. So overall I have been satisfied. But moving forward we will definitely need more fast chargers if the electric wave comes as predicted. I won’t be happy if I have to wait in line for a charge!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I just discovered that EA is installing DC Fast Chargers at my local Target which is less than 1 mile away from my home. Could be useful for charging if/when my house looses power during a storm but the Target campus still has power ;-).

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Moon PP Leather
155 Posts
Charging outside home or office are still very cumbersome. PS and EA has been working together to fix problems, but I don't think the issues are gone yet. On top of that, charging curve on PS2 is quite miserable. I didn't try after the update of P1.7, though.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2, Thunder, Pilot, Plus
26 Posts
First EA charge in Tysons, VA mall. Off without a hitch. 43% to 80% in 34 minutes. Charged 1.65 for 4 minutes over the allowed 30. Now, if I can just get the digitall key to work!. The car says it is paired, my iPhone says it is not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The first time I tried I had an issue. After that it has worked perfectly.

I get the app ready, initialize the charger, then within a couple seconds plug it in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP here, charged a half dozen times since then, but yeah, get it set to go on the phone then plug in and swipe to start the charge. Charging curve seems perfectly adequate, when the EA chargers are not broken.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have used the EA station in Somerdale, NJ a handful of times with much success. A few tricky attempts due to chargers being down but I have always had a successful session after maybe moving over to a different charger. My biggest complaint is that I don't think I've ever charged over 100 kwh. Usually it is much slower... like closer to 60 kwh. Not sure what that is all about, but it is good enough for my 30 minutes of free charging.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First time charging and I must have gotten the unicorn EA charger🤣 I literally plugged in, didn’t even open the EA app, the charger recognized my PS2, recognized my free charging account, and then I pressed start charging and voila! Charging started. For the first 5 minutes or so I got up to 130kWh then it settled in around 90 kWh for the rest of the time. Went from 20% to about 65% in 25 minutes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts