Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car delivered last Monday
(Midnight, non PP) on a 2 year lease deal. This is my first lease car and first EV, so in at the deep end! One week in and I've done nearly 300 miles of mainly commuting (25 miles each way 5 days a week, a mix of urban, A & B roads) in all sorts of weather. Considering that I've had a couple of frosty starts this week and no weather over 11 Deg C, gales and torrential rain to contend with, I'm pretty impressed with the average 35kwh/100m consumption. This gives a range of 210 miles. Early morning starts have all been with no preheating as I charge at work off a 3 phase 11kw Zappi. Today, without a cold morning start, I did 40 plus miles at an average of 31.5kwh/100m, so this points to 250+ miles of range in the Summer馃檪, which I'm happy with. I did my first 'in the wild' charge this morning at the Shell Recharge unit in Stratford. It worked OK, but was slow at a peak of 18kw from. 150kw charger, although the car was at 84% when I started, so perhaps this is normal?

Best of all though, is the way it drives. Smooth, very comfortable and effortlessly fast, surefooted and very powerful when needed. I also really like the throttle pedal, the way it can be very precise at slow speeds but push hard and the build up of speed is like no other car I've driven.

Registered
That's some really promising range for sure, and your initial experience with the driving characteristics is much like mine was. It is pure joy to drive! The one problem is now when I get in my old ICE or my wife's Buick, it feels like a huge step backwards. I never thought of either car as "noisy" or "sluggish" before, but now it is really annoying compared to my new expectation of driving. So what I'm doing now is resetting my expectations: I try to have an "ICE" mode and a "Polestar" mode mentally. We'll see if it works.

Congratulations, it looks great! and excellent color choice - you picked the speediest color. 馃槈

Registered
There's very little point charging above 80% (when out and about) because the batteries do charge very slowy as they get above that.

When out and about your often better charging 20-80% than 80-100%

Premium Member
That's some really promising range for sure, and your initial experience with the driving characteristics is much like mine was. It is pure joy to drive! The one problem is now when I get in my old ICE or my wife's Buick, it feels like a huge step backwards. I never thought of either car as "noisy" or "sluggish" before, but now it is really annoying compared to my new expectation of driving. So what I'm doing now is resetting my expectations: I try to have an "ICE" mode and a "Polestar" mode mentally. We'll see if it works.
Exactly!

Reactions: Mick

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's very little point charging above 80% (when out and about) because the batteries do charge very slowy as they get above that.

When out and about your often better charging 20-80% than 80-100%
Thanks, I thought as much, but just wanted to do a trial run to see how easy it is. Shell was easy to use but expensive at 拢0.39 / kWh.

Registered
I had my car delivered last Monday
(Midnight, non PP) on a 2 year lease deal. This is my first lease car and first EV, so in at the deep end! One week in and I've done nearly 300 miles of mainly commuting (25 miles each way 5 days a week, a mix of urban, A & B roads) in all sorts of weather. Considering that I've had a couple of frosty starts this week and no weather over 11 Deg C, gales and torrential rain to contend with, I'm pretty impressed with the average 35kwh/100m consumption. This gives a range of 210 miles. Early morning starts have all been with no preheating as I charge at work off a 3 phase 11kw Zappi. Today, without a cold morning start, I did 40 plus miles at an average of 31.5kwh/100m, so this points to 250+ miles of range in the Summer馃檪, which I'm happy with. I did my first 'in the wild' charge this morning at the Shell Recharge unit in Stratford. It worked OK, but was slow at a peak of 18kw from. 150kw charger, although the car was at 84% when I started, so perhaps this is normal?

Best of all though, is the way it drives. Smooth, very comfortable and effortlessly fast, surefooted and very powerful when needed. I also really like the throttle pedal, the way it can be very precise at slow speeds but push hard and the build up of speed is like no other car I've driven. View attachment 4419 View attachment 4420
So, does the PS2 have a problem with fast chargers? The Car WoW review also mentioned that the PS2 had a massively reduced charge rate (against the 150kw charger, it only pulled in around 35).

Has anyone got reliable charging numbers from public chargers? There鈥檚 no point having a car that 鈥渋n theory鈥 can use 150kw but in reality only does 20-30kw. That鈥檚 not really going to work

Registered
2021 2
So, does the PS2 have a problem with fast chargers? The Car WoW review also mentioned that the PS2 had a massively reduced charge rate (against the 150kw charger, it only pulled in around 35).

Has anyone got reliable charging numbers from public chargers? There鈥檚 no point having a car that 鈥渋n theory鈥 can use 150kw but in reality only does 20-30kw. That鈥檚 not really going to work
It's apparently been better after the recent update. Both Kris Rifa and Bjorn Nyland got much better charging curve after the update. I'm going to test it myself in a couple weeks and will report back

Registered

I constantly pull 49 kW from a different 50 kW public chargers. No problem. Of course once you get past 80% towards 90% it drop a bit - about 35 kW. I'm monitoring that on my app by means of a graph. Has been very consistent so far.

Registered
I constantly pull 49 kW from a different 50 kW public chargers. No problem. Of course once you get past 80% towards 90% it drop a bit - about 35 kW. I'm monitoring that on my app by means of a graph. Has been very consistent so far.
Thanks. Have you tried it on a 150kw charger? Not sure there are that many in the UK but all the 0-80% in "40 minutes" quotes are reliant upon a high rate charger. If it only pulls 50kw from a 150kw charger my plans of being able to stop for a long coffee will turn into a whole lot of coffee. I've not factored electrons + 拢10 of Starbucks/stop into my budget... ;-)

Here are the Southern UK 150kw CCS charge points. Not exactly overflowing with them. Seem to be mostly BP pulse (I'm assuming installed at normal petrol station locations). They need to get more at motorway services otherwise you're going to end up with 30 mile detours.

Registered
Thanks. Have you tried it on a 150kw charger? Not sure there are that many in the UK but all the 0-80% in "40 minutes" quotes are reliant upon a high rate charger. If it only pulls 50kw from a 150kw charger my plans of being able to stop for a long coffee will turn into a whole lot of coffee. I've not factored electrons + 拢10 of Starbucks/stop into my budget... ;-)

Here are the Southern UK 150kw CCS charge points. Not exactly overflowing with them. Seem to be mostly BP pulse (I'm assuming installed at normal petrol station locations). They need to get more at motorway services otherwise you're going to end up with 30 mile detours.

View attachment 4436
I did not yet have the chance to test a 150kW charger. I can charge from 30-90% in less than 50 mins on a 50kW.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I'm hoping it was either a problem with the charger or that my car was at 85% when I tried to charge. I'll try again at a lower SOC.

Registered

View attachment 4436
I'm hoping it was either a problem with the charger or that my car was at 85% when I tried to charge. I'll try again at a lower SOC.
Today I charged at a BpPulse 150 kw charger. I went from 18% - 80% in 40 minutes. This is definitely faster than prior to the latest OTA.

Registered
I'm barely into day three now and I have a few comments. Firstly, I'm driving the car so I need to be in control. I have turned down most safety feature or completely off when possible. Speed zone detection is set to visual only and I don't have any blind spot warnings, lane assist or any other crap that distracts me and takes control away. In my current configuration I'm very happy with it.
  1. I forgot how narrow the rear window is, thankfully the rear view camera is great.
  2. The front cup holder will take some time, I'm 5'10" and really have to pull my arm back.
  3. I really dig the illumination under the gear selector piano black.
  4. I had to deactivate the system associated with controlling the car during backing up, it wouldn't let me into my garage.
  5. I had not seen the slate interior until I received delivery.. YES YES YES No regrets.
  6. Car is the most modest and subtle MONSTER I have ever seen. It can really come alive if you wake it. :)
  7. High powered charger with delivery was nice, told its $1500 so i won't be misplacing it.

Registered
Click, click, clickity, click-click. How many relays are in this machine? Did my first DC charge this morning, didn't need it and only put 10% in. Worked like a charm. I did make sure to be close enough that the cable wasn't pulling on charging port. Oh yes and I held the charger in place until it started to charge. Started at about %50-52 and went up to %60 getting 180 km/h out of a 50kW Level 3. It was 0 degrees Celsius.

Premium Member
Click, click, clickity, click-click. How many relays are in this machine?
1. Lots.
2. Technically they're "contactors" and not "relays." The basic idea is the same, but contactors carry much higher loads, are normally in the "off" position, and have other safety features.

Registered
It's taking me some time to figure out where to put my right foot. I ride with cruise on a lot and I find the slope of the floor awkward. I have my seat set fairly low, could try adjusting that. Also find the wheel a bit high, I have it set to not block the top of the driver display. Seat height adjustment tomorrow.

Premium Member
I also don't find a good way to position my leg when using the cruise control. Mostly, I just don't use the cruise control.

Registered
I also don't find a good way to position my leg when using the cruise control. Mostly, I just don't use the cruise control.
I hear ya. Throttling it is more comfortable. Problem is it's so powerful, smooth and quiet that I end up speeding almost all the time without cruise. It's higher off the ground than my other car so my perception of speed is different. I only have 600km or so under my belt so far. Still can't believe i have it now. I feel it will keep me happy for many years.

Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
I use cruise control all the time, whenever possible, and it's one of my few annoyances with the car that there's nowhere to rest your right foot.

Reactions: Mick
1 - 20 of 61 Posts