Polestar Forum banner

First year cost of ownership Western Canada (Electricity + any repair or shop charges only)

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  vasimo1 
#1 · (Edited)
Interested in people experiences.

For me, I just hit one year of ownership of my 2021 PS2 launch edition LR AWD.
I have taken advantage of PetroCanada’s free EV fast charging when possible.
I have a level 2 charger at home and on the road have charged on either Petro-Can EV or Chargepoint, so I have an exact cost of all the electricity I have paid for.

So, in one year:

Electricity cost: $251
Kms driven 20,500 km
cost per km = $0.01

Note: free unlimited charging at Petro-Can ends at end of April 2022, so I will be back charging at home, which costs me $0.03 / km (i.e. my home charging total for the 2021 was $251 which took me an estimated 9400 Kms)

REPAIR COSTS: $0
  • One visit: both tail lights were fogged, and condensation didn’t leave, so they replaced both tail light housings at no charge. 2021 PS2 LRDM loaner .
  • one other visit as TCAM out and that is when P2.0 was installed at the shop. No charge. 2022 PS2 loaner (LRSM)

Normal winter stuff: Change summer to winter tires: $182
Incl swap, mount and balance (at Volvo) winter tires to the 19” alloys (opted not to get a second set of rims as my protection package includes unlimited rim repairs).

Total cost of ownership in first year (excluding purchase cost), was $251 for electricity and $435 total.

I‘m quite pleased with that.

See less See more
#2 ·
Interested in people experiences.

For me, I just hit one year Of ownership Of my 2021 PS2 launch edition LR AWD.
I have taken advantage of PetroCanada’s free EV fast charging when possible.
I have a level 2 charger at home and on the road have charged on either Petro-Can EV or Chargepoint, so I have an exact cost of all the electricity I have paid for.

So, in one year:

Electricity cost: $251
Kms driven 20,500 km
cost per km = $0.01

Note: free unlimited charging at Petro-Can ends at end of April 2022, so I will be back charging at home, which costs me $0.03 / km (i.e. my home charging total for the 2021 was $251 which took me an estimated 9400 Kms)

REPAIR COSTS: $0
  • One visit: both tail lights were fogged, and condensation didn’t leave, so they replaced both tail light housings at no charge. 2021 PS2 LRDM loaner .
  • one other visit as TCAM out and that is when P2.0 was installed at the shop. No charge. 2022 PS2 loaner (LRSM)

Normal winter stuff: Change summer to winter tires: $182
Incl swap, mount and balance (at Volvo) winter tires to the 19” alloys (opted not to get a second set of rims as my protection package includes unlimited rim repairs).

Total cost of ownership in first year (excluding purchase cost), was $251 for electricity and $435 total.

I‘m quite pleased with that.
You have saved a bundle there compared to the cost of running an ICE. I’m in a similar position in the UK where I charge for free at my local supermarket but my cost of charging for the first two months we’re higher as I DC charged and had to pay for them until I got my home charger installed and then found local supermarket was free for 3 hours lol.

#3 ·
This is good to know. I am a 5-10 year car person and I've been estimating what my annual fuel consumption looks like in a year to factor into cost of ownership when explaining the car to my close folks.
I've put about $77 into mine in the first 40 days /1300km so I'm not quite on track with your expenditure but I was spending around your $250 - $300 on gas for a Ford Focus in a month when the gas prices were lower. I get to charge in the apartment garage without a cost for now (slow but effective on the daily getting my back to 90% ish) and have used some of the Flo chargers while driving to Edmonton and back, and to test it out the first few times around town (admittedly getting caught with an idle fee the second time while enjoying exploring a big Safeway).
I'll be interested in what sort of madness I end up dealing with when I start road tripping it around to different provinces and down to the states once or twice this year.

#4 ·
UPDATE:

Update to my first year post … the gravy train is partially over … as PetroCanada no longer offers free unlimited Fast charging, but lots of free charging around in BC still.

But if I were actually to solely charge at home what is the cost, in Vancouver?

Well … for me to “fill up” my 78 kWh battery, is exactly $11.32 CAD! Getting me upwards of 390 km in summer and ~330 km in winter. That is pretty awesome I think.

I averaged the cost over an entire year and it is exactly $0.15 per kWh of electricity for me to charge at home (Chargepoint level 2 charger), based on my BC hydro rates (regardless of when I charge).

#8 ·
But if I were actually to solely charge at home what is the cost, in Vancouver?

Well … for me to “fill up” my 78 kWh battery, is exactly $11.32 CAD! Getting me upwards of 390 km in summer and ~330 km in winter. That is pretty awesome I think.

I averaged the cost over an entire year and it is exactly $0.15 per kWh of electricity for me to charge at home (Chargepoint level 2 charger), based on my BC hydro rates (regardless of when I charge).
My LRSM estimate on BC Hydro Step 2 rate and average 17kWh/100km is approx 2.5cents/km for electricity.
Our ICE car right now is approx 33cents/km for premium!

Also if you ever need a hard TCAM battery removal reset, ping me and I can do it in about 10 min! Can also show you how to change that cabin air filter, save yourself some $$. :)

#6 ·
Great results
I'll miss the free PC charging.
I recently did a 3 day fishing trip up north with my Kona, cost me 70 bux for over 2600km. I did a few paid charges on the road, and got free charges at a BMW dealer and PC lvl2 charger while I slept. Fun times lol
That same distance in my old Volvo S60 T5 would have cost me about $594 at todays gas prices!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.