Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this video/review and it looks like the 'folding' Wing Mirrors barely fold at all. Is this a side effect of the frameless mirrors? It doesn't look like there's a mechanical reason (i.e. something in the way) that they can't fold further? From the video it looks like it barely comes in at all (<1cm?). Has anyone seen/heard anything different - I only saw the video after my test drive so I couldn't ask...

·
Registered
'21 P*2, 19", Midnight/leather, +tow
851 Posts
I had a similar question after watching that review but like @JRRF indicated, I'll take a bit of folding over none. My guess is the travel of the motors that control the overall movement have a limitation that results in that minimal folding in. Looking at the top down view of the specs (attached; from press pack spec sheet), I wonder if in that folded orientation if the net width is actually less than the width at the wheel arches, so overall folding more wouldn't yield more benefit?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I once folded my mirrors... backing out I didn't see the pole (in the mirror) I was next to and I took the mirror assembly right off 🥴

·
Registered
99 Posts
Folding mirrors in most cars minimize the chances of damage to a parked car as people walk by. Done right, they’re a very nice asset. Further, in a proper design, the mirrors should never be folded as you go into reverse, they should be fully extended. You could probably override it by pressing a button that folds them, but why would you unless clearances to surrounding objects are so tight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I laughed at this detail too when I first saw it, as it is a feature I ALWAYS use when parking in my home garage, and out in public.

Didn't think to look down the bodyside too see if it brings them to just within the fenders, as that would be ideal.. But yes, every bit helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did anyone try out how much folding the mirrors gains? I'd love to buy this car, but I have to be able to fit it through a very small garage. I'm very confused about the dimensions I can find online about this car. In the manual it seems to say the width is 1859 mm and with mirrors the width is 1985. But in the picture it looks as if this is with folded mirrors. So that got me kinda concerned. 1859 would be fine. 1900 would start to get difficult, but 1985 is nearly impossible.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Pretty sure 1859 is the width with the mirrors in normal, not folded, position.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Polestar on their website give the width including mirrors as 1985 mm.

I suppose it’s possible that the 1859 mm dimension is the width with folded mirrors, but it’s not clear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pretty sure 1859 is the width with the mirrors in normal, not folded, position.

View attachment 1102
This picture is what got me confused, since it's different from the one in the manual. I had a live chat with Polestar support today and they said 1985mm is the width with mirrors unfolded and 1859 with mirrors unfolded. But I find it hard to belief you gain 126mm (so 63mm at each side) by folding the mirrors, considering how little they seem to fold. Support told me they'd double check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a confirmation with the same message:
  • Width with mirrors is 1985mm
  • Width with mirrors folded is 1859
I still find it hard to belief. I guess I just need to go for another test drive and see for myself whether I can fit it into my garage or not.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Is 100mm difference on a car unusual between folded and unfolded mirrors?

No ... most cars can lose 100mm

126mm on a car that we can see where the mirrors do not fold in a lot .... nah something is wrong.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
126mm is only 5 inches. That's 2.5 inches on each side. That's not that much considering the mirror is probably 6 or 7 inches wide.

Someone with a car simply has to measure how far the mirror sticks out folded and not folded.

·
Registered
278 Posts
126mm is only 5 inches. That's 2.5 inches on each side. That's not that much considering the mirror is probably 6 or 7 inches wide.

Someone with a car simply has to measure how far the mirror sticks out folded and not folded.
Try to remember in the morning.
Until then...

Folding Mirrors Video

1 - 20 of 28 Posts