1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's how the Polestar 2 compares to the Ford Mustang Mach-E

Ford Mustang Mach-E vs Polestar 2: Dimensions - Length

Ford Mustang Mach-E vs Polestar 2 Exterior Dimensions
Ford Mustang Mach-EAudi E-TronMercedes EQCJaguar I-PacePolestar 2Hyundai Kona EVTesla Model Y
Length186 in.193 in.187.5 in.184.4 in.181.4 in.164.6 in.not yet available
Width74 in.76.3 in.74.0 in.74.6 in.73.2 in.70.9 in.not yet available
Height63 in.65.5 in.63.9 in.61.3 in.58.2 in.61.2 in.not yet available

Ford Mustang Mach-E vs Polestar 2: Specs
FORD MUSTANG MACH-EPOLESTAR 2
Battery75.5 kWh / 98.8 kWh78 kWh
Horsepower255 horsepower / 459 horsepower408 horsepower
Torque306 pound-feet / 459 pound-feet487 pound-feet
Range210 to 330 milles275 miles
Drive TypeRWD / AWDAWD
0 to 60 MPH3.5 to 6.5 seconds4.7 seconds
Top Speedn/an/a

Source

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I spec'd the extended range version up it came out at over £58k; compared to just over £50k for the Polestar (pre-rebate).

Frankly I'd stick with the Polestar

·
Registered
2021 2
2,600 Posts

Have to hand it to Ford - their extended range production model did nearly 300 mi real world including highway in one go, with apparently a decent amount of charge left at the end. Who knows if the guy was driving 45 mph the whole way or something, but still impressive!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The RWD Extended Range option is a 100kW battery, with a range of 370miles WLTP. So I'd be disappointed if it wasn't doing 280+

Still 300 miles is good, however as you say we have no idea on what speed he was doing the whole trip.
However, the few times I did see his speed he was travelling at 80-90km/h - no idea if he did this speed the whole way or not.

For me with no confirmation of a tow bar and limits and "eta early 2021" but in reality mid-late 2021 I can wait 3-4 years and see how the car goes, and if good then maybe 2024!

·
Registered
866 Posts
When you price up the MachE in full spec they are very expensive in the UK. The options offered are odd and you need to be careful.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
When you price up the MachE in full spec they are very expensive in the UK. The options offered are odd and you need to be careful.
£40 to £60 sounds a lot, but for an EV and the range / battery size it's about "EV Level".

The £40k is only £5k more than the Kia Niro. If the range can keep up with the eNiro as well as features, etc.. then yeah looks good.
The £60k is more like Model Y .... but with really bad 0-60 performance in comparison.

Will have to see final spec's and how good it really is. But I like the look of it.

Reactions: toscal353

·
Registered
866 Posts
I liked it too, and the idea that in the UK they will tie in with a charging network. I can't remember the exact problems i had pricing up the spec we wanted, but i seem to remember it revolved about the 2WD not having panoramic roof, and speccing 4WD with longer range battery got very pricey. The other big unknown is build quality and support/service. If Ford are serious about EV neither should be a problem though.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
It's a tough engineering decision, right? More battery = more range, but also more weight and cost. More weight hampers acceleration and handling. So where's the sweet spot? For daily driving, 78 kwh is probably too much, frankly, but right now range sells cars.

I think Polestar has it about right.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I think there's little doubt that the Mach-E is going to do very well in the market. They quickly sold out all their pre-orders, and it seems like Ford is getting it right so far.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread after a few months. The Mach Es are shipping at the moment, so I'm wondering. Does anybody here have experience with both cars? How's the range of the Polestar vs. the standard and extended battery versions?

How do you feel about split-screen Android Auto (MME) vs Android Automotive (Polestar)? How about the sound of B&O (MME) vs Harman Kardon (Polestar)? Drive? Seats? I can go see the MME end of this month when it's in town on a road trip but I don't think I'll be able to drive one. Hearing good things about it, though.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread after a few months. The Mach Es are shipping at the moment, so I'm wondering. Does anybody here have experience with both cars? How's the range of the Polestar vs. the standard and extended battery versions?

How do you feel about split-screen Android Auto (MME) vs Android Automotive (Polestar)? How about the sound of B&O (MME) vs Harman Kardon (Polestar)? Drive? Seats? I can go see the MME end of this month when it's in town on a road trip but I don't think I'll be able to drive one. Hearing good things about it, though.
I've heard a lot of good things too. It's getting good reviews so far and being compared favorably to the Y.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Not driven a Mach-E myself, however watched a lot of videos and have a Polestar.

Mach-E standard range is meant to be very close to the listed value. Where the Polestar is at the moment 2/3rd's of the WLTP (although note it is winter, but even before winter people were complaining range wasn't even near 250+ miles). However we have yet to see the Mach-E in the hands of someone like Bjorn for serious testing ... and the Ford's range is still "nice" condition - not optimal but also not winter!) But I'd say now the Ford has the edge.

As it standards right now I would say that Mach-E has a better Android system than the Polestar, due to standard Android Auto compatibility. However long term in 1+ year I'd put money on Android Automotive - once GM in the US and PSA Group in France (Citroen Renault Peugeot) start rolling all their cars out form 2021, I'm willing to bet a lot of apps will start to appear on Automotive.
In addition a lot of the video's I've watched have some serious lag in the Ford screen. Now the Polestar isn't perfect ... sometimes the seat heaters lag as an example ... but I've seen the Ford Lag on almost any screen. Also a lot of reviewers have said the dial on the Mach-E's Screen feels cheap ... yes it works and feels solid now, but as it's just stuck on the screen how long will this last?

Sound - I'm not expert in sound. There are others here that are perfectionists so maybe they can chine in. However, I've never found a B&O system I liked ... where the HK imho is brilliant.
Also not that the in the RWD-SR the audio is downgraded too. You don't get the 10 speaker B&O.

Seats - Both the base Polestar and Mach-E have non-ventilated seats. You can upgrade the Polestar but not the Ford. Most people don't have a problem with this, but there are a few that have reported sweating in the seats on the long drives.
The Polestar has Heated Front and Rear seats, where the Ford only has Front.
The Ford has 8 way configurable seats, where the Polestar has 14 way (although cushion exertions are manual and not power assisted). Although note that the RWD-SR is manually adjustable seats only.
However, they both come down to a personal taste and whether you can find a good driving position.

The Mach-E seems like a very good car overall. The RWD Long Range Model is more comparable to the Polestar 2, as they are closer in spec as well as cost but if you are comparing the RWD-SR to the Polestar, the P*2 is more expensive but you have more tech as standard.

The Polestar feels more luxurious inside and has AWD compared to RWD only (yes you can upgrade the Mach-E but then you are not comparing similar costs)

The Ford seems more practical with a bigger Frunk and Boot. Although the final version does have some dividers in the Frunk for some reason - not sure if you can (or should) remove these.

Also note the RWD & AWD SR Models only charge up to 115kW and not 150kW as per the LR variants and Polestar.

The Polestar is faster and more a "drivers" car.

So conclusion : IMHO if you need a practical family car the Mach-E might be a better option. Where if you want a more drivers focused car then the Polestar 2.

Also you asked about the LR & SR version. However I'd look more into RWD vs AWD. If you don't really need AWD (i.e you are not going to really off road it) ... then imho the RWD - LR is a good car, but unless you are leasing I'd be concerned about residuals long term ... therefore the RWD-SR seems like good value.
There are different Spec's in all 4 cars even though they almost all look the same, make sure you get the car that suits your real needs - don't think range is everything. I don't know how many miles you drive, but even the Polestars 200 miles in winter has been more than enough for me and my family to travel around the UK.

One final note: We now know all the Polestar's gremlins, quirks and features. The Ford is a still big unknown.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
There's also something to be said about the design philosophy. The Polestar is more "vegan" in philosophy and execution. Edge Polestar.

Ford has a full fledged dealer network and maintenance in this country should be much easier. So in the US, Ford has the advantage. In Europe, this is either a wash or advantage Polestar. (Not really sure how pervasive Ford dealers are in Europe.)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
There's also something to be said about the design philosophy. The Polestar is more "vegan" in philosophy and execution. Edge Polestar.

Ford has a full fledged dealer network and maintenance in this country should be much easier. So in the US, Ford has the advantage. In Europe, this is either a wash or advantage Polestar. (Not really sure how pervasive Ford dealers are in Europe.)
UK there a millions of them ... in the EU I'd say as many as Volvo.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,600 Posts
Not driven a Mach-E myself, however watched a lot of videos and have a Polestar.

Mach-E standard range is meant to be very close to the listed value. Where the Polestar is at the moment 2/3rd's of the WLTP (although note it is winter, but even before winter people were complaining range wasn't even near 250+ miles). However we have yet to see the Mach-E in the hands of someone like Bjorn for serious testing ... and the Ford's range is still "nice" condition - not optimal but also not winter!) But I'd say now the Ford has the edge.

As it standards right now I would say that Mach-E has a better Android system than the Polestar, due to standard Android Auto compatibility. However long term in 1+ year I'd put money on Android Automotive - once GM in the US and PSA Group in France (Citroen Renault Peugeot) start rolling all their cars out form 2021, I'm willing to bet a lot of apps will start to appear on Automotive.
In addition a lot of the video's I've watched have some serious lag in the Ford screen. Now the Polestar isn't perfect ... sometimes the seat heaters lag as an example ... but I've seen the Ford Lag on almost any screen. Also a lot of reviewers have said the dial on the Mach-E's Screen feels cheap ... yes it works and feels solid now, but as it's just stuck on the screen how long will this last?

Sound - I'm not expert in sound. There are others here that are perfectionists so maybe they can chine in. However, I've never found a B&O system I liked ... where the HK imho is brilliant.
Also not that the in the RWD-SR the audio is downgraded too. You don't get the 10 speaker B&O.

Seats - Both the base Polestar and Mach-E have non-ventilated seats. You can upgrade the Polestar but not the Ford. Most people don't have a problem with this, but there are a few that have reported sweating in the seats on the long drives.
The Polestar has Heated Front and Rear seats, where the Ford only has Front.
The Ford has 8 way configurable seats, where the Polestar has 14 way (although cushion exertions are manual and not power assisted). Although note that the RWD-SR is manually adjustable seats only.
However, they both come down to a personal taste and whether you can find a good driving position.

The Mach-E seems like a very good car overall. The RWD Long Range Model is more comparable to the Polestar 2, as they are closer in spec as well as cost but if you are comparing the RWD-SR to the Polestar, the P*2 is more expensive but you have more tech as standard.

The Polestar feels more luxurious inside and has AWD compared to RWD only (yes you can upgrade the Mach-E but then you are not comparing similar costs)

The Ford seems more practical with a bigger Frunk and Boot. Although the final version does have some dividers in the Frunk for some reason - not sure if you can (or should) remove these.

Also note the RWD & AWD SR Models only charge up to 115kW and not 150kW as per the LR variants and Polestar.

The Polestar is faster and more a "drivers" car.

So conclusion : IMHO if you need a practical family car the Mach-E might be a better option. Where if you want a more drivers focused car then the Polestar 2.

Also you asked about the LR & SR version. However I'd look more into RWD vs AWD. If you don't really need AWD (i.e you are not going to really off road it) ... then imho the RWD - LR is a good car, but unless you are leasing I'd be concerned about residuals long term ... therefore the RWD-SR seems like good value.
There are different Spec's in all 4 cars even though they almost all look the same, make sure you get the car that suits your real needs - don't think range is everything. I don't know how many miles you drive, but even the Polestars 200 miles in winter has been more than enough for me and my family to travel around the UK.

One final note: We now know all the Polestar's gremlins, quirks and features. The Ford is a still big unknown.
can’t overstate that last point. The MachE will assuredly have issues at launch. Polestar will be ~6 months into fixing their issues. I guess TBD how much closer to perfect the MachE is at launch than Polestar was.

feel like the test drive should make it clear. The polestar is a bit smaller and faster and more a sedan/hatch. The MachE is a crossover (though less ground clearance than the polestar and skinnier tires...) with more practical space to it.

personally, based on pics, I prefer the polestar styling in and out and I imagine Android Automotive will beat the MachE infotainment. Also I like the navigation view driver display on the polestar which doesn’t seem to have an analogue on the Ford.
But, having a family I am kind of jealous of the cargo space of the MachE (although apparently no towing package available???).

certainly wouldnt fault anyone going for the MachE over the Polestar. It seems like a solid offering.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
With the P2 you get some exclusivity since nothing else looks like it. While the ME is immediately recognizable as a Mustang. For lots of people that familiarity will make them more comfortable getting an ME vs a P2.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,871 Posts
I find the MachE unsightly and uncool. So I wouldn’t buy it.
I might get an ugly, odd looking dog from the pound because I feel a bit sorry for it. Buying a car is a different kettle of fish. So that rules out Teslas too for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow, great response. The Mach E forum isn't so talktativ-ehrm-helpful! I'm asking the view on both sides. So far, the main point against the Polestar they mentioned was range. So I did a simulation on ABRP with more realistic ranges (based on ev-database). There are two extremes. On the one hand, the MME ER and the VW ID.3 Pro S 77kWh are very similar. On a 1300km trip, they're about 10 minutes apart. The Mustang drives faster in Germany but needs more time to charge :LOL: The other side has the MME SR and the Kia. While the Kia has a longer range, it charges much more slowly so you're stuck on the side of the road a lot. The MME SR needs 2 more charging stops. It needs 7, all the other just 5. They are both about 1h30min slower. Bang in the middle comes the Polestar, at about half an hour slower than the faster cars, so 1 hour faster than the slow ones. So in (simulated) practice, it's not an issue except with the Kia and the standard range Mustang.

As for the sound, I'm rather an audiophile and I listen to classical a lot. So the Harman Kardo, being a very good consumer grade system, sounded boomy. I fixed that quickly with the equalizer, which works great, but just to show. High hopes for the B&O here.

As for the rest, well, I really liked the overall design of the Polestar during a test drive. There was much thought out into making things work in a simple and elegant way. Ford will have to do some work here to convince me. The Polestar trunk was fine for me, bigger isn't necessary. And the seats... my back is not the best and a bit picky. @GDank what do you mean with 'cushion exertions'? Looking forward to getting some tips and testing it out in the showroom again. It's one problem I’d like to see sorted out by fine tuning the settings of the seat, not by having to switch car.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts