Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
4,729 Posts

Have to hand it to Ford - their extended range production model did nearly 300 mi real world including highway in one go, with apparently a decent amount of charge left at the end. Who knows if the guy was driving 45 mph the whole way or something, but still impressive!

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Not driven a Mach-E myself, however watched a lot of videos and have a Polestar.

Mach-E standard range is meant to be very close to the listed value. Where the Polestar is at the moment 2/3rd's of the WLTP (although note it is winter, but even before winter people were complaining range wasn't even near 250+ miles). However we have yet to see the Mach-E in the hands of someone like Bjorn for serious testing ... and the Ford's range is still "nice" condition - not optimal but also not winter!) But I'd say now the Ford has the edge.

As it standards right now I would say that Mach-E has a better Android system than the Polestar, due to standard Android Auto compatibility. However long term in 1+ year I'd put money on Android Automotive - once GM in the US and PSA Group in France (Citroen Renault Peugeot) start rolling all their cars out form 2021, I'm willing to bet a lot of apps will start to appear on Automotive.
In addition a lot of the video's I've watched have some serious lag in the Ford screen. Now the Polestar isn't perfect ... sometimes the seat heaters lag as an example ... but I've seen the Ford Lag on almost any screen. Also a lot of reviewers have said the dial on the Mach-E's Screen feels cheap ... yes it works and feels solid now, but as it's just stuck on the screen how long will this last?

Sound - I'm not expert in sound. There are others here that are perfectionists so maybe they can chine in. However, I've never found a B&O system I liked ... where the HK imho is brilliant.
Also not that the in the RWD-SR the audio is downgraded too. You don't get the 10 speaker B&O.

Seats - Both the base Polestar and Mach-E have non-ventilated seats. You can upgrade the Polestar but not the Ford. Most people don't have a problem with this, but there are a few that have reported sweating in the seats on the long drives.
The Polestar has Heated Front and Rear seats, where the Ford only has Front.
The Ford has 8 way configurable seats, where the Polestar has 14 way (although cushion exertions are manual and not power assisted). Although note that the RWD-SR is manually adjustable seats only.
However, they both come down to a personal taste and whether you can find a good driving position.

The Mach-E seems like a very good car overall. The RWD Long Range Model is more comparable to the Polestar 2, as they are closer in spec as well as cost but if you are comparing the RWD-SR to the Polestar, the P*2 is more expensive but you have more tech as standard.

The Polestar feels more luxurious inside and has AWD compared to RWD only (yes you can upgrade the Mach-E but then you are not comparing similar costs)

The Ford seems more practical with a bigger Frunk and Boot. Although the final version does have some dividers in the Frunk for some reason - not sure if you can (or should) remove these.

Also note the RWD & AWD SR Models only charge up to 115kW and not 150kW as per the LR variants and Polestar.

The Polestar is faster and more a "drivers" car.

So conclusion : IMHO if you need a practical family car the Mach-E might be a better option. Where if you want a more drivers focused car then the Polestar 2.

Also you asked about the LR & SR version. However I'd look more into RWD vs AWD. If you don't really need AWD (i.e you are not going to really off road it) ... then imho the RWD - LR is a good car, but unless you are leasing I'd be concerned about residuals long term ... therefore the RWD-SR seems like good value.
There are different Spec's in all 4 cars even though they almost all look the same, make sure you get the car that suits your real needs - don't think range is everything. I don't know how many miles you drive, but even the Polestars 200 miles in winter has been more than enough for me and my family to travel around the UK.

One final note: We now know all the Polestar's gremlins, quirks and features. The Ford is a still big unknown.
can’t overstate that last point. The MachE will assuredly have issues at launch. Polestar will be ~6 months into fixing their issues. I guess TBD how much closer to perfect the MachE is at launch than Polestar was.

feel like the test drive should make it clear. The polestar is a bit smaller and faster and more a sedan/hatch. The MachE is a crossover (though less ground clearance than the polestar and skinnier tires...) with more practical space to it.

personally, based on pics, I prefer the polestar styling in and out and I imagine Android Automotive will beat the MachE infotainment. Also I like the navigation view driver display on the polestar which doesn’t seem to have an analogue on the Ford.
But, having a family I am kind of jealous of the cargo space of the MachE (although apparently no towing package available???).

certainly wouldnt fault anyone going for the MachE over the Polestar. It seems like a solid offering.

· Registered
4,729 Posts

219 miles/350 km @ 70 mph 50F/10C ambient on wet roads.
224 with 88 kWh usable is 39 kWh/100 mi and not that far off from what I'm seeing of ~200 mi with the (presumably) 72 kWh usable in the Polestar (36 kWh/100 mi) under similar-ish conditions.
And seems about right to see ~10% efficiency difference given the similar Cd, but larger size of the MachE compared to Polestar - although haven't run through all the full numbers in complete detail

· Registered
4,729 Posts
it really seems launching new EVs is almost uniquely hard.
MachE deliveries delayed, even with cars on lots, without clear explanation...

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Yeah, I think this must be a regional and/or capacity issue and it may be something in the software as well. Regardless, mine has been very solid, but I'm pretty sure I'm still the only Polestar owner in a few hundred mile radius.
well someone let Andy Slye borrow their Polestar 2 for a video recently and he’s not that far from you if I understand correctly...

unless....?

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Back on subject..

the Mach-E’s driving range is consistent and predictable, and everything in the test car Ford supplied us simply worked.

am doing a cold weather road trip right now. I think the range/efficiency numbers are right in line between the two. I’m seeing 200mi if temps are 50F+ and maybe 180mi or so closer to 30-40F on the highway.

but seems like charging curve is definitely better. I’m seeing coldgating with the Polestar like others have described with barely getting 65kW at 20% when cold. When warm that’s closer to the fastned charging curve of 125-150kW. While I haven’t been overly limited here, that’s definitely an area for improvement for Polestar.

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Jonny Smith drove a MachE tester in the famously lovely British weather:

In the verdict section he seems to imply that as a package he wouldn't have it go above a certain threshold, because then it competes with Polestar 2, TM3LR, TMY, and in the full spec version the IPace. He did like the interior space/practicality compared to the Polestar, but didn't directly comment on the driving/handling/etc comparison.

Either way, I can definitely see cross-shopping them, although the MachE's looks aren't for me.

Reactions: rgledhill

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Looks good!
(except I think you got weight the other way around - the Polestar is >100lb lighter, and also should note Polestar has wider tires)

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Looks like Mach-E reviews were allowed to be posted this week.

Car and Driver, Ars Technica, The Verge
The C&D review seems fair. I am a bit annoyed by the Ars review - really they're comparing the handling characteristics of a family crossover with a (pseudo) sports sedan? I guess Ford is kind of asking for it with the Mustang branding, and the model 3 comparison will lead to clicks and ad revenue, but really, no one is going to mistake this crossover for a sports performance machine, at least until the GT comes out. But if you're looking at that, then really hold out for the Macan EV promised soon....

To @Guy 's points I am fairly disappointed that Polestar has had so many launch issues that seem persistent. I really wished they took on less risks than they clearly did and just piggybacked on the Volvo supply chain and infrastructure. That said my own car is so far free of major worrisome issues (knock on wood....) and the MachE deliveries only just started. It took a few months for the Polestar recall madness to become clear..... so let's see where everything lies later into the Spring/Summer - if MachE issues start cropping up and if Polestar does manage to fix and deliver everything after almost a year of their launch.

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Charged dropped to 75kw around the 40% mark ... but stayed at 75kw all the way to 80%, then dropped to 11kw.

So it seems like a very good charging curve until 80% then just slams down hard.
Would need to see his spreadsheets but I’m guessing that currently the MachE then has less mi/hr charging gain compared to the Polestar. It has somewhat worse kWh/100mi efficiency, and similar ish non cold gated charging curve. It has a bigger battery pack which allows net more range. Interested to see how its 1000km test would go versus the Polestar with the current software

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Alex on Autos tested real world range on the MachE AWD ER, EPA 270 mi. He stays on a route going roughly 65-70 mph and gets 3.3 mi/kWh or ~30 kWh/100mi. It's in the Bay Area and he did it recently, looks like mid-day so 10-15C I'm guessing.
Gets a total real world range of 270-280mi on an 88 kWh usable battery pack.

In comparison on the same track with similar weather he got 220-230mi from the Polestar, which about tracks with the difference in usable battery pack (maybe a bit less efficiency for Polestar).

Reactions: rgledhill

· Registered
4,729 Posts

Seem the MachE is running into similar problems as Polestar had at its launch with charging. Upside is the whole plug and charge thing seems to work. But, the reviewer got low kW at time, interrupted charging, and seems like an overall frustrating experience.

Totally anecdotal but I haven't seen nearly the level of these issues with the Polestar at electrify america stations, even before any software updates. As long as you avoid the Signet EA chargers seems to work fine?

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Him faffing around with the multiple chargers reminds me of every EA experience I’ve ever had.
Including with the Polestar? I've had one experience with charging cutting out, which resolved moving over a stall. Else around here, main issue I've heard of is some charger banks being full near particular malls/sites though I haven't had to make use of those.

Wonder if EA specifically tests around here, ensuring that our chargers are up to date?

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Anyone else see the Ford Evos as if the MachE and the P*2 had one fateful night (with that MachE scad running out and never paying alimony)?:

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Thanks @Guy !
I do think for many reasons the MachE is a more practical car (range/$, space, cupholders, servicing in certain regions) and they seem a bit ahead of the game in terms of some software like their app and PAK

the Polestar is more for styling, handling, and Volvo fans

Reactions: Guy

· Registered
4,729 Posts
We crossed the MachE off because it was even more delayed than the Polestar.

And my wife took one look at the interior/exterior pics and said “ugh gross. F*ck no”. She has very clearly defined opinions.

should note at first launch the Polestar’s leasing was similarly strange. If they offered then what they’re offering now I probably would’ve leased instead of financed. Either way if/when I sell I’m guessing the net $$ will come out similar.

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Thanks, @Guy for posting this update! I really appreciate hearing about the Mach E from someone who chose it over the P2. Your rationale makse sense and is well thought out. For me I came to the conclusion that the P2 was the car for me, but I can appreciate the Mach E through your experience. Frankly I'm happy that there are multiple good choices for an EV out there now and more coming all the time. I'm hoping to see a Mach E in person one day and compare experiences with the owner. Again, thanks!
parked next to one the other day and had a good look around. In another life and with another wife I could see having gone for it.
It's only a bit taller than the P*2, and a fair bit longer. It's clearly set up for the Costco and soccer practice runs, with sportiness as a kind of afterthought styling thing - while the Polestar I think is the other way around.

Also its 360cam must not be functioning well given the parking job I had to accommodate! :]

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Observe this...should be a truth-in-leasing consumer protection act.
thats more expensive than the P*2 lease was initially and that’s come down significantly since then
and also more expensive than an etron sportback lease quote I got, and that MSRP is significantly higher
WTF Volvo

Re EV range- the P*2 range is fine for us right now.
But honestly, I don’t feel it's as comfortable/convenient for doing a typical longer road trip, at least for now. e.g. if we want to take the kids to Legoland in San Diego from Palo Alto, ABRP suggests 3x stops of 20-30 min each, every 1.5-2h driving. In a model 3 LR, we could skip one of those stops. And in both cases we'd need to have some sort of good charging available at the destination.

In an ICE we'd do that with 1x stop with gas stations ubiquitously available at the beginning, interim, and end destinations.
For now I can tell myself that those 20-30 min stops are nice to have potty and stretch breaks. But it's still a thing I have to rationalize away.

With a Model S, Lucid Air, Taycan, etron GT, or Merc EQS we could go like we would in an ICE as they seem to realistically get >300-350mi range even on the highway, with fast (>200-250kW) charging rates. If it's like all the other car tech, I'd expect those ranges to come into the more budget friendly cars in ~5 years or so. Then, there really isn't an argument to be made against EVs re range.

Until then, I'll keep on telling my wife and kids that no really this way is better right now, for reasons.
At least Polestar Space Warp helps for the kids and me!

· Registered
4,729 Posts
I always come back to Sally's monologue in Cars about how road trips meant having a good time, not making good time. The most enjoyable road trip I've done was when my wife and I took the 101/1 all the way up into Napa. It took us 12 hours, but it was both fun and relaxing. I'm definitely in favor of EVs forcing us to rethink how we look at road trips, and making them about the journey as well as the destination.
I'm going to try saying something like this to my wife when she's pondering how to pass time in beautiful Bakersfield when we next decide to schlep down there.

Hopefully she doesn't have too many pointy objects at hand.

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Took my folks on a tour of EVs while they were visiting to try to get them to trade in one of their ICE for one. They drive appliances and like it that way, so even though they like my car, without a cheaper single motor variant available now/soon the Polestar is out.

In the process was able to check out the MachE, but only exterior/interior. The cars seem to be flying off the lots here so they don't have any demo units available for test drives unless we were willing to say we would likely take a specific unit away right then and wanted to test it first.

Just based on look/feel I think it's basically the best of the varied crossover EVs available today, with the ID4 coming up next. It doesn't feel special like the Polestar, which I think is more a Model 3 analogue than the MachE/Y/XC40/ID4. But it hits a lot of great notes. Super comfy seats (though more squishy than supportive). Intuitive layout of the cabin and software. Lots of little practical bits and loads of cargo storage space.

The MachE has more practical features and is objectively better looking than the Model Y. Based on 3 cars leftover at the Ford dealer I was at, I could see better build quality than the Y on display at the flagship Tesla showroom in Palo Alto. And, with the single motor variants for the MachE, you can get better range/$ with it than the Y. My folks and people like them don't care about 0-60 times and really don't need AWD. Not sure why Tesla doesn't offer a single motor large battery option.

Compared to the ID4, I think it's better looking, and I think cargo-wise it's similar if you combine frunk+trunk. The seats and layout were more comfortable to me and the software was snappier. The ID4 could be had for cheaper though, and I think its trunk area is bigger, which is more practical. The ID4 seems like a solid RAV4 analogue, and is priced accordingly, while the MachE felt a bit nicer overall, and is priced accordingly.

And compared to the XC40, well, sorry Volvo. I think the XC40 looks great. But the range, charging, and cargo of the MachE is better, and it's cheaper, even with the ~10% Ford dealer markups happening around here. The XC40 is more cohesively designed, and can better claim the SUV mantle given its ground clearance, tire/wheel sizes, etc. But for either option, this thing will be used for Costco not scaling crags.

That all said, my folks wanted an appliance so they looked at all those options..... and went with a base spec Model 3 (literally base; no options, not even paint, which I offered to pay for), which should arrive to their place in a couple months. Glad they're experimenting with EVs at their ripe age!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.