Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 226 Posts

· Registered
2,927 Posts
(although apparently no towing package available???).
There is a tow bar option in the EU.

You need to go through all the selections, create an account, pay the deposit, and only then do you get taken to the options page like Tow Bar, Roof Racks, Cat Mats, etc..

It's only a 750kg Tow Bar with a nose load of 45kg. So basically exactly the same as the I-Pace.

so 1 hour faster than the slow ones. So in (simulated) practice, it's not an issue except with the Kia and the standard range Mustang.

what do you mean with 'cushion exertions'?

This is manually adjusted so "Seat Memory" won't work on it, but if you have long legs this extends the seat so it supports under your knee/thigh better.

As for trips ... this 1300km trip (800 miles) would you do this in one day on a continues drive? How many times a year would you make this trip?

The reason is if you make this 3-4 times a year and you want to do in one day, then honestly get a Model 3 LR. If this is critical then there is no better car for it.

If you make this once a year in the summer then honestly as per your ABRP showed it will make little difference overall, even 30 min's difference over 13-14 hours drive is nothing in reality. It's all abbot good planning and making the big stops to eat. Plus if speed / time is important, then charge to only 60-65% and get down to <10% before the next charge - this minimises time spent charging.

Note that ABRP doesn't have all the data for charging curves for the Polestar or ID.3 at the moment and they are very optimistic on times, 30mins can easily become 45mins.

I was very close to putting an order in for a Mach-E so did a lot of research, what killed it for me was the tow bar didn't meet my needs and at the time in July 2020 the Mach-E in the UK was "early 2021" which meant I had no real idea ... now it looks like realistically Easter 2021 for the UK.

· Registered
2,927 Posts
Ok so here are the differences. I'm only listing what's different between the versions of the Mach-E and then adding the Polestar 2 for reference.

Starting prices (inc Govement Grant (UK Prices):-
RWD - SR £37,350
RWD - LR £46,980
AWD - SR £43,650
AWD - LR £57,030
Polestar £46,970

0-60mph Times / Standing / Rolling Start.
RWD - SR - 6.9 / 6.1 Seconds
RWD - LR - 7.0 / 6.2 Seconds

AWD - SR - 6.3 / 5.6 Seconds
AWD - LR - 5.8 / 5.1 Seconds

Polestar - Official 4.7 / (unknown).
Polestar - Unofficial as quick a 4.1 seconds from standing.

Top Speed :
All Mach E Models 111mph
Polestar 2 123mph.

Both Standard Range Mach-E's only get 115kW charging, while both Long Range versions gets 150kW.
Polestar gets 150kW

RWD - SR - Solid Roof
RWD - LR - Panorama Roof
AWD - SR - Solid Roof
AWD - LR - Panorama Roof
Polestar - Panorama Roof

Mach-E AWD version have a slightly different body kit.

RWD - 18" Wheels
AWD - 19" Wheels
Polestar - 19" Wheels / 20" Optional

RWD - Standard Brake Callipers
AWD - Red Brake Callipers
Polestar - Standard Brake Callipers / Gold Optional via the Performance Pack

RWD - Standard LED Lights
AWD - Adaptive LED Lights (I assume this means auto-dipping and cornering - although I can't be 100% sure but confident it's not Matrix with zone control)
Polestar - Pixel LED Matrix headlights with proximity lights and cornering function.

SR - Manually Folding Mirrors
LR - All other models Power-Foldable Door Mirrors
Polestar - Power-Foldable Door Mirrors

SR - Manually Adjustable Seats
LR - 8-WAY POWER-ADJUSTABLE FRONT SEATS WITH MEMORY FUNCTION
Polestar 2 : 14 Way (12 Powered) with memory function.

SR - Some unspecified speakers.
LR - B&O 10-SPEAKER AUDIO SYSTEM
Polestar 2 : Harman Kardon premium sound - I think it's 12 Speakers but could be mistaken.

SR - Rear Camera only.
LR - 360deg Camera
Polestar 2 : 360deg Camera

SR - Powered Tailgate
LR - Hands-Free Powered Tailgate.
Polestar 2 : Hands-Free Powered Tailgate.

LR models come with Advanced Active Park Assist.
Polestar 2 : Nope - although there were rumours of this being added later via OTA update, but I don't believe it's true personally.

So from a price and features comparison to the Polestar 2 then :-
The RWD-SR gives up a lot of features & AWD for less cost.
The RWD-LR gives AWD & Performace for Range.
The AWD-SR gives up a lot of features for being slightly cheaper.
The AWD-LR has almost the same features but better range, but then costs £10k more!

I'll be honest ... I don't get the cost of the AWD-LR. It's over £14k more than the SR version! Where the RWD LR is only £9k more than the SR. It makes zero sense.
LR gets these over the SR for £6k:
+20kWh Battery, Glass Roof, Powered Mirrors, 8 Way Power Seats, B&O Speakers, 360deg Camera, Hands Free Tailgate, & Park Assist.
Assuming £200 per kWh that's £4k used up, with the other £5k going on options ... so where is the other £5k going on the AWD-LR over the SR?

Anyone that buys the AWD-LR has more money than sense imho - correction they are NUTS ... £14k more than the SR (or 10k More than the RWD).
Even compared to the P*2 it's £10k more for 80ish miles in the summer!

All 3 other models seem good depending on what you want more - Cheapest, Best Range, or a cheapish AWD

Also all the difference I listed in my first post apply, like driver focused vs practicality, interior quality, and known or unknown issues.

· Registered
2,927 Posts
Impressive summary... and the Polestar looks much better by it.
Honestly I'd recommend the RWD-SR model to anyone ... £10k less than the Polestar 2 for similar range but slightly less features & toys.

This competes directly with the Kia e-Niro / Hyundai Kona which many people love, but it's bigger and while the spec is probably a bit less, that large screen and cool factor I'd say makes up for it - although personal choice.

The RWD-LR seems to want to compete with the Model 3 LR, future Y, and the Polestar.

Where the AWD-LR is snapping on the heels of the I-Pace!!! Base model I-Pace or a Ford?
That is mental ... honestly if I see an AWD-LR in the wild I must report the opener to the local mental health care clinic, so they can and collect their missing patient!

· Registered
44 Posts
Very impressive indeed... skipping to the remarks:
RWD - SR - Solid Roof
RWD - LR - Panorama Roof
AWD - SR - Solid Roof
AWD - LR - Panorama Roof
Polestar - Panorama Roof
But the panorama roof of the Mustang is a paying option in the tech pack 2, no?

SR - Manually Folding Mirrors
LR - All other models Power-Foldable Door Mirrors
Polestar - Power-Foldable Door Mirrors
The Polestar's mirrors are also without a border. Takes some getting used to and I had the impression they caught more rain this way?

SR - Some unspecified speakers.
LR - B&O 10-SPEAKER AUDIO SYSTEM
Polestar 2 : Harman Kardon premium sound - I think it's 12 Speakers but could be mistaken.
They can put in a thousand speakers but if they all suck, the sound will suck :) The HK in the Polestar comes with a subwoofer (so it says in the audio settings).

SR - Rear Camera only.
LR - 360deg Camera
Polestar 2 : 360deg Camera
What would the quality of the Mustang 360 be? I have only a BMW 4 of a colleague to compare to, but it seemed to lose the surroundings into blur a lot less than the Polestar one.

LR gets these over the SR for £6k:
+20kWh Battery, Glass Roof, Powered Mirrors, 8 Way Power Seats, B&O Speakers, 360deg Camera, Hands Free Tailgate, & Park Assist.
Good to see this summary. Initially, I thought it was only a bigger battery and wondered where the €9K pricetag from that came from. So there's a bunch of options, too... VW asks very little for the 58kWh to 77kWh upgrade: around €3K.

In the configurator on the Ford.be website (Belgium, here), the difference between an AWD SR and AWD ER is €9K just like for the RWD version. Base prices RWD SR €48K, ER €56K, AWD SR €55K and ER €64425 to be precise!

Honestly I'd recommend the RWD-SR model to anyone ... £10k less than the Polestar 2 for similar range but slightly less features & toys.

This competes directly with the Kia e-Niro / Hyundai Kona which many people love, but it's bigger and while the spec is probably a bit less, that large screen and cool factor I'd say makes up for it - although personal choice.

The RWD-LR seems to want to compete with the Model 3 LR, future Y, and the Polestar.
I mostly agree, but my estimate of the range of the SR is not as good as yours. The Polestar seems to be closer to the ER than to the SR. I think the RWD ER is the sweet spot. After adding Tech Pack 2, which adds the pano roof, and a colour, price is extremely close to the Polestar. You win some range, lose AWD, and the style is very different. BTW, all prices I mention are without grants, incl.VAT. So very close cars, indeed!

· Registered
2,927 Posts
1. But the panorama roof of the Mustang is a paying option in the tech pack 2, no?
2. The Polestar's mirrors are also without a border. Takes some getting used to and I had the impression they caught more rain this way?
3. They can put in a thousand speakers but if they all suck, the sound will suck :) The HK in the Polestar comes with a subwoofer (so it says in the audio settings).
4. What would the quality of the Mustang 360 be? I have only a BMW 4 of a colleague to compare to, but it seemed to lose the surroundings into blur a lot less than the Polestar one.
5. Good to see this summary. Initially, I thought it was only a bigger battery and wondered where the €9K pricetag from that came from. So there's a bunch of options, too... VW asks very little for the 58kWh to 77kWh upgrade: around €3K.

7. I mostly agree, but my estimate of the range of the SR is not as good as yours. The Polestar seems to be closer to the ER than to the SR. I think the RWD ER is the sweet spot. After adding Tech Pack 2, which adds the pano roof, and a colour, price is extremely close to the Polestar. You win some range, lose AWD, and the style is very different. BTW, all prices I mention are without grants, incl.VAT. So very close cars, indeed!
1. No idea on your countries spec options. In the UK you cannot spec anything that what comes as standard. The LR Models do come with the "TECHNOLOGY PACK +" .... where the SR comes with no pack. Hence the differences.

2. I drove in the rain and snow, both times fine. Never had a problem with the frameless parts.

3. The Polestar uses the subframe as a Subwoofer. It's not as deep as my Kia's (where it was under the two front seats) but it's more rounded and still better than my old Jag.

4. No idea. Seems standard Ford - I suspect the same as Polestar. Although the rear camera in the Mustang might not get as dirty as in the Polestar - it's the weakest feature in the P*2 - which while a negative also demonstrates that a rear camera getting dirty imho is it's weakest point so the rest is awesome!

5. VW ID.3 I believe just add a bigger battery. The Mustang adds more features and tech. Personally I don't think it's worth the full £9k / 14k more, as mentioned even at £200 per kWh that still leaves £6k / 11k of options which is a lot to ask, when in reality Ford are probably paying $150 per kWh, so I'm being generous at £200 per kWh. Still the LR seems like good overall value.

7. The Ford ranges are much closer to real world ranges where the Polestar 2 is more "perfect conditions" ... like 30deg outside temp, no air con on, city driving only, and never putting the right foot down hard.

Ranges are Summer / Winter Miles

Polestar 2 : 300 Claimed - 240ish (untested) / 200 (tested) (by me)
RWD - SR : 273 Claimed - I suspect more like 250ish / 210ish
RWD - LR : 379 Claimed - I suspect more like 320ish / 270ish
AWD - SR : 248 Claimed - I suspect more like 230ish / 200ish
AWD - LR : 335 Claimed - I suspect more like 280ish / 250ish

· Registered
4,729 Posts

219 miles/350 km @ 70 mph 50F/10C ambient on wet roads.
224 with 88 kWh usable is 39 kWh/100 mi and not that far off from what I'm seeing of ~200 mi with the (presumably) 72 kWh usable in the Polestar (36 kWh/100 mi) under similar-ish conditions.
And seems about right to see ~10% efficiency difference given the similar Cd, but larger size of the MachE compared to Polestar - although haven't run through all the full numbers in complete detail

· Registered
2,927 Posts
Yes power usage in the Mach-E seems similar to the Polestar. The ER has a usable 16kWh more to play with.
They use the same motor design so I'd assume this to be true. However I would expect the RWD version to be better as it's only driving one motor, and on long motorway driving this maters a lot - as seen in Tesla's ranges.

219 miles/350 km @ 70 mph 50F/10C ambient on wet roads.
From what I can tell as the Article is all over the place. They had the AWD Version and the (Long Range / Extended Range), and got 220 miles on the motorway with wet roads.

Assuming 10% loss in the wet, that's Spring/Autumn Range of 245miles in the dry. Wow that's a lot less than my generous guessing. I'll need to update the estimates.

Motorway Ranges - Summer / Winter Miles
RWD - SR : 273 Claimed - I suspect more like 250ish / 210ish 210 / 150
RWD - LR/ER : 379 Claimed - I suspect more like 320ish / 270ish 280 / 220
AWD - SR : 248 Claimed - I suspect more like 230ish / 200ish 180 / 150
AWD - LR/ER : 335 Claimed - I suspect more like 280ish / 250ish 250 / 200

Therefore I'll say now ... the RWD with the Extended Battery is the best buy.

· Registered
44 Posts
1. No idea on your countries spec options. In the UK you cannot spec anything that what comes as standard. The LR Models do come with the "TECHNOLOGY PACK +" .... where the SR comes with no pack. Hence the differences.
Here's the description of the Tech Pack, which seems to upgrade the SR with the options that are already present in the LR:
  • 10 B&O speakers; Hands-free boot lid; Pre-Collision Assist, incl. Intersection assistance, with pedestrian and cyclist detection: warning and distance indication and active emergency braking assistance, including Evasive Steering Assist; Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Traffic Jam Assist, Lane Centering Assist and Highway Assist (if permitted by law); Traffic Sign Recognition (recognizes and displays traffic signs); Active Park Assist 2: automatic parking assistance system; 360 ° camera system
And the Tech Pack +:
  • (idem) + Sensico in "Black" with micro-perforations and gray stitching Electrically folding exterior mirrors Front seats 8-way electrically adjustable (front / rear, height, back, seat), with memory function; Electrically operated lumbar support on front seats; Fixed panoramic roof
2. I drove in the rain and snow, both times fine. Never had a problem with the frameless parts.
I noticed it was getting pretty hard to see while I was in a reasonable rain cruising between 100-120km/h.

fAssuming 10% loss in the wet, that's Spring/Autumn Range of 245miles in the dry. Wow that's a lot less than my generous guessing. I'll need to update the estimates.

Motorway Ranges - Summer / Winter Miles
RWD - SR : 273 Claimed - I suspect more like 250ish / 210ish 210 / 150
RWD - LR/ER : 379 Claimed - I suspect more like 320ish / 270ish 280 / 220
AWD - SR : 248 Claimed - I suspect more like 230ish / 200ish 180 / 150
AWD - LR/ER : 335 Claimed - I suspect more like 280ish / 250ish 250 / 200

Therefore I'll say now ... the RWD with the Extended Battery is the best buy.
With these new figures, the Polestar seems to be closer to the ER RWD than to the SR. Which is my very scientific crystal ball estimate based on reading up. But EPA seems to disagree (SR 370km, PS2 375km, ER 483km). WLTP idem. But ev-database, with their own crystal ball, does agree (SR 345km, PS2 395km, ER 440km).

As for range, the most important for me is to be able to visit family without having to charge there. Round-trip for the one living furthest away is maybe 220km highway, so that seems to be OK with all these cars, even in winter.j

I don't do many car holidays at present. My wife's never done them as a child so the car is not her first idea when planning a holiday. I'm planning to change that and a comfortable car will be more important than sheer range. So for the moment, I'm fine with the range estimates.

I have a Kia test drive tomorrow & VW on Friday. Then a second Polestar drive later this month, probably 29th, followed by a Mustang visit (sans drive, most likely) on 30th. Then I'll decide. First time I am buying a car for myself since 1997, so pretty excited 😁

· Registered
2,927 Posts
Unless you live in a non-flatish country and want to drive in snowy mountain roads on a non-rare basis. AWD feels super predictable compared to RWD in such conditions. I'd happily choose lower range over a fishtailing 2.5 tonne hockey-puck. 😅
But at those prices I'd get an I-Pace base model or a Polestar and have plenty of cash left to buy a 2nd set of wheels/tyres!

· Registered
4,729 Posts
it really seems launching new EVs is almost uniquely hard.
MachE deliveries delayed, even with cars on lots, without clear explanation...

· Registered
2,927 Posts

Maybe a Pre-recall .... they found something causing issues that was life threatening, where Polestar's was probably "some might have 12V issues" .... BTW yes I'm convinced they knew about it before releasing in September.

· Registered
774 Posts

It is hard because this is all new for legacy automakers. It seems that the hardest part of modern vehicles for auto manufacturers is the software, and EVs have unique and novel software demands. For Tesla, a glorified software company, the hardest part has been the manufacturing (i.e. quality control, bumpers falling off, etc). I would expect that the Ford “pre-call” has something to do with a software problem, rather than a screw not being tightened to spec.

Of course, Polestar has had both hardware and software problems, so....

· Registered
44 Posts
When I asked the same comparison question on the Mach E forum, some were a bit cynical about the Polestar problems. I'm not surprised Ford is facing delays themselves. The Mercedes EQA has been delayed... twice by now? ID.3 was later, too, IIRC. I'm actually a bit surprised because I know for a fact Ford had a prototype number of cars that could trail each other automatically on an airfield befor 2000. So I'm guessing it's integrating this tech into production and scaling up things like connectivity is the problem.

· Registered
2,927 Posts
The Polestar had one major fault that was imho rectified very quickly, I've not seen the 12V issue since the recalls were done - yes a very minor few either didn't get yet it still having a few issues, but extremely small compared to the daily posts of bricked cars.

Any other mechanical issue is in line with a new car. Lots of random minor issues and often very small group of people.

4G seems to be the only big issue left and I don't believe this is an electrical problem, and it's seems to be more a software and/or provider issue.
I'm sure Polestar is working hard to nail this down as this is one of the major selling point.

Everything else is software bugs or lack of features. This will get resolved in time. Jaguar I-Pace had just as many issues and they are all sorted now.

VW admitted they are 2-5 years behind Tesla on software. I feel most companies are. That's why I like the Polestar, Google / Android Automotive is being delivered by a software tech company.
Yeah it feels like Beta now but once Volvo, GM and PSA start releasing mass quantity of cars with it onboard it will rapidly get better.

My Polestar drives, it keeps me warm/cold, it does everything I ask it to do, and I'm very happy with it.
Would I like more software features? Absolutely. Amazon Music and better car info like energy consumption would be awesome.

But I can wait.

21 - 40 of 226 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.