Polestar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 226 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
This is not even on my radar. Can someone remind me what this is about and why it's even important?
Does your 4G stay connected all the time? We haven't been able to use the built-in maps for a week now because 4G won't connect.

· Registered
10,854 Posts
Does your 4G stay connected all the time? We haven't been able to use the built-in maps for a week now because 4G won't connect.
Hmm... I haven't had reason to do much driving, but it seems every time I look at the maps they are there. And I listen to streaming music most of the time and it never drops out unless I'm in one of the valley areas where my phone calls drop too.

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Yeah, I think this must be a regional and/or capacity issue and it may be something in the software as well. Regardless, mine has been very solid, but I'm pretty sure I'm still the only Polestar owner in a few hundred mile radius.

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Yeah, I think this must be a regional and/or capacity issue and it may be something in the software as well. Regardless, mine has been very solid, but I'm pretty sure I'm still the only Polestar owner in a few hundred mile radius.
well someone let Andy Slye borrow their Polestar 2 for a video recently and he’s not that far from you if I understand correctly...

unless....?

· Registered
133 Posts
Back on subject..

the Mach-E’s driving range is consistent and predictable, and everything in the test car Ford supplied us simply worked.

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Back on subject..

the Mach-E’s driving range is consistent and predictable, and everything in the test car Ford supplied us simply worked.

am doing a cold weather road trip right now. I think the range/efficiency numbers are right in line between the two. I’m seeing 200mi if temps are 50F+ and maybe 180mi or so closer to 30-40F on the highway.

but seems like charging curve is definitely better. I’m seeing coldgating with the Polestar like others have described with barely getting 65kW at 20% when cold. When warm that’s closer to the fastned charging curve of 125-150kW. While I haven’t been overly limited here, that’s definitely an area for improvement for Polestar.

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Jonny Smith drove a MachE tester in the famously lovely British weather:

In the verdict section he seems to imply that as a package he wouldn't have it go above a certain threshold, because then it competes with Polestar 2, TM3LR, TMY, and in the full spec version the IPace. He did like the interior space/practicality compared to the Polestar, but didn't directly comment on the driving/handling/etc comparison.

Either way, I can definitely see cross-shopping them, although the MachE's looks aren't for me.

Reactions: rgledhill

· Registered
2,927 Posts
Yeah I totally agree with Johnny - he is great!

RWD Standard Range is a good cost, but competes with the Korean's that have more features, the ID.3 mid range model, and Model 3 SR.

RWD Extended Range is good overall car with all the features you would need, but now falls in line against the Model 3 LR, P*2, ID.3 Top range models.

The AWD versions (both) are just really expensive, and if you go for the AWD Extended Range, you might as well look at a base model Jag i-Pace - and considering you'll be able to get a mid spec one for low £60k's now imho you would be mad to spend this on a Ford.

So the RWD versions are fine, and you have few alternatives to look at which is good for competition. All options have pro's and con's. AWD just avoid.

· Registered
133 Posts
Here in Canada the hi-spec Mach-E, Premium, AWD, Long range battery 88kWh usable, is just about the same price (within 1-2%) as the Polestar 2. In Quebec, the Mach-E qualifies for a $8K subsidy while we get nothing on the P2. Because of some snafu, only those who ordered before Jan 14th 2021 get the subsidy on the Mach-E, which is even more advantageous to us with a pre-order.

I expect the Mach-E to be one step behing the P2 on performance and handling, slightly ahead on practicality, and of course, with 16kWh more to play with range will be better. But the big point is that early reports is that everything works. Battery conditioning, phone as a key, the app, wireless CarPlay, etc. A $15K Kia has a workable app but the $70K P2 does'nt???

You all have the patience of saints, I envy you all for that. I'm sure not at that level. I pre-ordered the P2 in March 2019 and then put a deposit on the Mach-E in July 20 as a back up plan. Mach-E deliveries are going on in Quebec with 4-5 already delivered. Not a single P2 have been delivered in Quebec yet.

Good luck all with the P2, I sincerely hope all issues will be resolved fast. I've owned Volvo's since 1988 and I'm a big Volvo fan. Never owned a Ford or US car ever but it seems I'll have one in March-April.

· Registered
44 Posts
I'm interested in learning more about it; any articles or videos you can suggest?
It's preheating the battery to make it charge faster. On my test drive today, the sales representative advised me to do a couple of quick accelerations and brakes to engage regen before going to charge. I told him that was not a good idea, because I’d have to charge during holiday and the wifey and kids would most likely not approve... That's why the car should do it, not the driver.

· Registered
948 Posts
But the big point is that early reports is that everything works. Battery conditioning, phone as a key, the app, wireless CarPlay, etc.
It's preheating the battery to make it charge faster. On my test drive today, the sales representative advised me to do a couple of quick accelerations and brakes to engage regen before going to charge. I told him that was not a good idea, because I’d have to charge during holiday and the wifey and kids would most likely not approve... That's why the car should do it, not the driver.
Right, but I wanted to learn about it in the context of Mach-E; does Mach-E have battery conditioning, and if yes, how does it work (automatic, manual, charger-as-destination etc.)?

41 - 60 of 226 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.