Polestar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I ventured to the movie theater for the first time in 3 years. We saw Dr. Strange 2, but that's not important. Out front at my local multiplex were 2 free L2 charging stations; each with huge LCD advertising screens on both sides. The screens were on a rotation of Polestar 2 advertising with videos and a CTA screen with a QR code! Was very cool to see. BTW, this theater is about 20 miles north of one Space and 20 miles south of another Space.

The funny thing was that the chargers were in the Valet-only lot, so even though they were free to use, you had to Valet to park there.

Sky Cloud Mobile phone Plant Telephony

·
Registered
503 Posts
So they are advertising to the Valet company employees?

• Haha
Reactions: Mooch

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those chargers are facing and directly opposite the main theater entrance so everyone sees them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pretty awesome! I wonder how long they'll continue to advertise and make free. Which movie theater? I usually go to the Silverspot at The Promenade in Coconut Creek or the iPic at Mizner Park in Boca Raton. Sometimes the Cinemark in Boca near I-95.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was the Cinemark near the Boca Airport. I'm not sure how truly useful free L2 charging is, but I guess it's marginally more useful at a movie theater where you'd leave it charging for a few hours and maybe recoup the miles you used to get there during the show.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This was the Cinemark near the Boca Airport. I'm not sure how truly useful free L2 charging is, but I guess it's marginally more useful at a movie theater where you'd leave it charging for a few hours and maybe recoup the miles you used to get there during the show.
You get approximately 18-28 miles per hour with L2 charging, so I'd say it more than makes up for it.

Yes that's the same Cinemark I was talking about. Last time I was there I saw Spectre. I fell asleep in the first 15 minutes haha.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I wasn't presuming it was a high-rate L2 EVSE given that it's "free" but could still be useful depending on your range and SOC.

We saw Dr. Strange 2 and it was among my least favorite MCU films thus far. Even the post-credit scenes weren't great... but at least the Avatar 2 trailer was good.

·
Registered
California
1,400 Posts
At the moment, Volta’s rough plan is to convince landholders to install these chargers that have ads in exchange for providing a bit of free charging. Apparently in some locations they’ll take a fee after a certain amount of time parked. They’re rolling out some DC fast chargers too.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
This must be the worst place to have an ad for the p2……outside an American Cinema ….. at least they don’t have a model on display so the cinema goers can’t check to see if the cup holders hold their super size drinks 😂🤣😂

·
Registered
2021 P2 Midnight exterior & Barley Interior
54 Posts
Today I ventured to the movie theater for the first time in 3 years. We saw Dr. Strange 2, but that's not important. Out front at my local multiplex were 2 free L2 charging stations; each with huge LCD advertising screens on both sides. The screens were on a rotation of Polestar 2 advertising with videos and a CTA screen with a QR code! Was very cool to see. BTW, this theater is about 20 miles north of one Space and 20 miles south of another Space.

The funny thing was that the chargers were in the Valet-only lot, so even though they were free to use, you had to Valet to park there.

View attachment 13613
WTF. Its not bad enough you had to pay $50 to see the move but pay for the privilege of valet / EV parking as well???

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And while I didn't avail myself of the Valet service, I am 100% certain that the valet will NOT automatically park your EV in that space and plug it in, nor would they unplug it (if it were plugged in) prior to retrieving your car for you when you return. I would expect that you'd pay for the Valet service for the privilege of parking in the Valet section, but then park it yourself and plug it in yourself if you wanted to charge while watching your movie.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
And while I didn't avail myself of the Valet service, I am 100% certain that the valet will NOT automatically park your EV in that space and plug it in, nor would they unplug it (if it were plugged in) prior to retrieving your car for you when you return. I would expect that you'd pay for the Valet service for the privilege of parking in the Valet section, but then park it yourself and plug it in yourself if you wanted to charge while watching your movie.
I think they will charge extra to plug in the car to charge and remove the cable.

Normally L2 chargers are untethered if that’s the case here I wouldn’t trust the valet with my cables. The pic shows a cable plugged in so can’t tell if that’s for another car using its own cable.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think they will charge extra to plug in the car to charge and remove the cable.

Normally L2 chargers are untethered if that’s the case here I wouldn’t trust the valet with my cables. The pic shows a cable plugged in so can’t tell if that’s for another car using its own cable.
Here in the US, all cables are captive to public charging stations so the primary concern would be damage to the car's port if the plug were roughly inserted or forcibly removed. The cable belongs to the charger, though.

Reactions: Icesingh
1 - 14 of 14 Posts