Polestar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
PS2, Void, non PP, 20" Wheels
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the rear door mechanisms freezing (sorry if there is an existing thread)?

I’ve had this issue a couple of times now, but most significantly this morning.

I put my son in the car to drive to Nursery and got about a ¼ mile down the road when the rear passenger door just opened. I immediately stopped and when I checked the door there was no working locking mechanism. I assume the door sensor hadn’t alerted when I initially pulled away as the door was technically closed.

I had to push/pull/fiddle with the handle for about 5 minutes before it finally closed. Then when I reached my destination I found that I couldn’t open the door at all and had to get my boy to climb into the front passenger seat (with his muddy icy wellies to top it off) to get out.

When I returned home I still couldn’t get the door open. I then tried the rear drivers door and had exactly the same problem with that to the point where I couldn’t get it to close at all so have had to leave it on the drive unlocked, so not only is this a safety concern now but a security one as well.

I had the same issue a couple of weeks back and had initially called PS Roadside Assistance but managed to fix it before they arrived.

The first time it happened it was around 1C with a bit of ice, today in Durham it was -4C and very icy, which for us is reasonably cold, however nothing compared to other regions where this car is being sold.

I’ll be raising with CS shortly to see what they come back with, but thought I would see if anyone else had experienced this.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Very odd. Volvo are well know for testing cars in very cold climates, and I can't see that they would have used a different system than the one they already have in other cars.

Plus you are the first person that I've seen on forums/facebook with this specific issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is strange. It appears to be more to do with the handles than the lock itself, so I'm not sure if these are new components rather than existing Volvo parts.

·
Registered
176 Posts
This may be a daft question, but did you check the status of the rear windows/door lock button (on the drivers door, astern of the window controls). I managed to lock my daughter in the car on day 1 because I had not realised that this function button was on.

I don't see how this would explain the door opening though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may be a daft question, but did you check the status of the rear windows/door lock button (on the drivers door, astern of the window controls). I managed to lock my daughter in the car on day 1 because I had not realised that this function button was on.

I don't see how this would explain the door opening though.
Yes I did check that. I normally have the child locks enabled, so when the door wouldn't open I disabled that just in case, but it made no difference.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
From everything I've seen so far (first hand and also on this forum), I'd be surprised if this was a Polestar part. I think this is good news, because the Volvo repair shop may already know what's likely to be going on.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I wondering if this might be early signs of a 12V battery issue. It would be more logical than freezing parts ... which no one else has encountered.

Is your VIN 8000 or less? If yes, have you had the recall work done?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wondering if this might be early signs of a 12V battery issue. It would be more logical than freezing parts ... which no one else has encountered.

Is your VIN 8000 or less? If yes, have you had the recall work done?
Yes I did wonder about 12v issues, however I went out to check the car at lunch time after the temperature had risen (2C) and everything was working fine. The rear drivers door that previously just pulled open was now locked, so it does appear to be temperature related I think.

VIN is 004xxx so it is an earlier build, but has had all of the recent recall work and software updates completed.

I've logged with CS and just awaiting a call back.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,587 Posts
Yes I did wonder about 12v issues, however I went out to check the car at lunch time after the temperature had risen (2C) and everything was working fine. The rear drivers door that previously just pulled open was now locked, so it does appear to be temperature related I think.

VIN is 004xxx so it is an earlier build, but has had all of the recent recall work and software updates completed.

I've logged with CS and just awaiting a call back.
early Into its production cycle the XC90 had its own issues with the rear door handles/latches not catching. Maybe something related?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I haven't tried my rear doors but we had -5 here last night and the drivers door mirror refused to open up (as did both mirrors on my wife's Qashqai). It is ok now but wondering if it has a safety mechanism built in to prevent forcing it.
I have been in Standard regen mode and driving in snow/ice. When slowing down on icy bits the regen has come on but it also feels like the abs is on too as you can feel it shuddering. It does slow down ok but just for info. So far I have had no problems in snow on summer tyres with creep on but would feel more confident with winter tyres on but difficult to justify for a few days in the UK.
I think the problem is that in the UK we don't have the dry snow, it tends to be wet and slushy so if you get a hard frost is gets into the locks etc. Maybe the cold weather testing is a different type of cold to the UK.
The UK cold just like the UK virus! We have to be different. 😂

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just been out to unlock the car for the first time in 5 days and the keyless entry would not work. Had to find the key in my jacket and push the 'unlock' button, which did work. It is -2 here so that is probably the reason.

One thing I will say is that my windscreen defrosted faster than it did on my old XC60 which had a heated screen! Very impressive.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Strange, mine opened just fine after 5 days with a touch on the handle. The windscreen does defrost pretty quickly, yes :).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts