[ Updated 25th June 2021]

---> Download August 2020 official PDF of the user manual here <---
---> Alternatively download December 2020 "scraped from website" version
here (UK version) or here (US version) <---
---> Download a PDF describing the infotainment system here <---

--- Checks for delivery ---

Things to check on delivery:
  • Missing jack
  • Missing jack holder (expanded foam insert)
  • Missing first aid kit
  • Missing tyre wrench
  • Check for scratches on piano-black gloss panel around the gear selector (but can be cleaned with glass polish)
  • Plugsurfing card should be included, often in the glove box; only useful for discounted Ionity tarriff though
  • Max charge rate set to only 6A - make sure you increase it to maximum
  • Check that your tow hook is working (if ordered). If you're in the U.S., check to see you get the insert for the tow hook.
  • Signing in with a Gsuite email address fails; need to sign in with a Gmail account
  • Make sure the manual is in your language!
  • Check the tyre pressures as they may be way off
  • Make sure the tyres are all on the right way round!
  • Make sure you try the charging cable as some have been duds and that you know if it's a 32A cable not a 16A or 20A one. 16A one will only charge at 3.6kW on a single phase (e.g. standard UK home) supply and you'll need to buy a 32A cable yourself.
  • Watch for misting up of the headlights - if this doesn't clear by itself, they will need looking at by any Volvo dealer.
Known issues:
  • If you had wireless phone charging turned off via the Infotainment system and then had the December/January Infotainment updates, it remains disabled and is impossible to turn back on again! A trip to the dealer is required for them to re-enable it.
  • Timed schedules for pre-heat may not work properly if you have more than one schedule in the list that's activated. You'll need to just have the appropriate one ticked for the next use.
  • Sometimes unable to change charge rate (sometimes even greyed out). Restart the infotainment system (press and hold the touch button at the base of the screen for 20 seconds or so until it reboots)
  • When plugging into a rapid charger with a heavy cable, hold/support the cable while the initial connection takes place to ensure it starts charging properly; failed "handshake" with the charger seems to be down to this
  • Reversing/360 camera sometimes not working. Sometimes coming out of the camera screen and going back in again fixes this.
  • Timed charging STILL not available - this won't arrive until Autumn/Fall 2021! 😳 🤬
  • Ability to set up an in-car WiFi hotspot using your own SIM card not yet available and may not happen at all
  • Connection to home WiFi or mobile hotspot seems to only work if WPS is disabled on your router and even then it's hit-and-miss. Also the 1st November software update appears to break WiFi completely for many. In any case this offers no real benefit as updates are downloaded over 4G/LTE connection.
  • The car's Google Maps only allows destinations entered to be saved to that key-holder's profile
  • Car is almost impossible to charge if PIN security is enabled on the car's infotainment screen
  • No way to display actual tyre pressures (not an issue, just a feature not present you'd expect to see)
  • No direct way to view kW charging rate, just mph being added (not an issue, just a feature not present you'd expect to see) - however the best bet is to install A Better Route Planner (ABRP) as this will show charging rate! Update: July 2021 software includes kW display while charging
  • Demisting/cabin warming/cooling etc stops if you get up off the driver's seat, for instance to go outside and clear snow off the car... not a bug, but annoying! -> Plugging in the driver's seatbelt may stop this happening although it's reported not to work since May 2021. Parking mode can be used for climate control for up to 30 minutes and remote climate activation via the app can also be used while the car is powered down.
  • Annoying rattle from just behind the steering wheel seems common but dealers are able to fix this.
  • iPhone 12 (Mini, Pro, ...) may not charge on wireless charger and may got hot instead. Known issue in Apple's design with many Qi chargers. Confirmed by Polestar and also affecting multiple other brands of cars and wireless charging docks. Should now be working from May 2021 software.

--- FAQ ---

• The map has vanished in the driver's screen - how do I get it back? - You can either switch profiles on the main infotainment system, or reboot the infotainment as below.
  • Why has my heating/mirrors/seat heating/rear demister/Bluetooth/anything stopped working? - Reboot the infotainment system (press and hold the touch button at the base of the screen for 20 seconds or so until it reboots).
  • Charging - earlier cars (up to Feb '21) only came with a 3 phase, 16A cable for home use so max 3.6kW charging in UK even on 7kW 32A untethered chargers - 24hrs to charge from empty!! If you have a tethered cable then you will be able to charge at 7kW (32A/single phase) or 11kW (16A/three phase) as normal. In the US, it comes with both a standard 3 prong 110V wall plug and a 14-50 NEMA plug. If you have a UK 16A cable, email Customer Services and they might arrange a 32A replacement free of charge, though they seem to have stopped offering this (June 2021 onwards).
  • Is there a printed manual or single one to download? See link at the top of this page.
  • What sort of range will I get? 210-240 miles in general driving in summer, 180-200 miles at 70mph in summer, knock off (estimated) 15-20% in cold wet Winter days. Short journeys have a dire effect on economy and could bring the range down to 100 miles or worse in extreme cases of lots of short journeys in the cold and wet.
  • Where is the mechanical emergency release handle for the charging cable? There isn't one, despite what it says in the manual.
  • Why do I hear cooling fans coming on for a few seconds when I unlock the car? This is the climate air quality system blowing fresh air into the car (see manual). However a very loud cooling fan coming on for some minutes indicates the early battery sensor failure in some cars (see above)
  • Can I rotate front and rear wheels? No - they are different widths, both in 19" and 20" rims. On PP cars, the 20" rims have "front" and "rear" markings engraved into the wheel hubs behind the caps, but these markings are not present on the 19" rims. Take note when changing tyres! On older 19" (and I think the regular 20") the rim width is stamped on the back of one of the spokes, and on the newer cars there is a Front/Rear stamping on them. They have pictures here: MC-10189031-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov)
  • Can you use the front USB's with a memory stick or phone to play audio files? Music from the USB C cannot be played. These are only a power source. There is also no space for SD cards. All music playback takes place via streaming service in the car (ie Spotify) or Bluetooth from the phone.
  • Can you set a timer for the charging? e.g. only charge at "home" from 10pm to 5am? No. This is planned for Autumn/Fall 2021, but no fixed date has been announced.
  • Where are the service centres? Most if not all the main Volvo dealerships in the UK will be carrying out the servicing and maintenance for Polestar. Others are popping up now elsewhere in the world, mainly at Volvo dealerships though this varies from country to country.
  • What are the service intervals? 24 months or 18,000 miles.
  • How does the system deal with pairing multiple phones? The Drivers phone takes precedence - Driver is determined by whose phone was on the person at the time they opened the driver's door and sat down.
  • How are OTA updates to the infotainment handled? Updates are done automatically. You will be told when a software update is available to download and when it has been downloaded so that you can tell it to install it next time the car is locked. The car is out of action for an hour or more once the update starts and it cannot be cancelled. There is no way to see if it's finished other than trying to open the doors.
  • Is there a built-in dashcam or something like sentry mode - will it be added? No, the cameras are only there to support driving and parking assistance.
  • Would Polestar recommend any specific home charger / wallbox brand/company? From Polestar: "We have not partnered up with anyone at the moment, however we do recommend PodPoint as a Wallbox provider in the UK (Chargeoint Flex US)"
  • Does the infotainment system support the 5G network? No.
  • The Plugsurf key fob you get in the EU with the car, does it give discounts or some offers or just a free fob? Most networks are actually more expensive with this card, except Ionity which is essentially half price from July 2021 for a year. It's more useful in Europe.
  • Does the car just use one Google Account or can you have different Google Accounts linked to different profiles? You can have multiple Google accounts, each linked to a specific key fob.
  • What cables does the Polestar 2 come with in the EU/UK? A "wall socket" to Type 2 Charger, max 2.6kW charging speed, and a 32A 3 phase 11kW Type 2 to a Type 2 cable. Note that cars delivered up to March 2020 were supplied with 16A 3 phase cables; due to the maximum current being only 16A instead of 32A, on a typical UK 7kW charger you will only get 3.7kW. Polestar will replace the 16A cables with 32A cables free of charge if you request this via Customer Support, although they now seem to be resisting this (May 2021).
  • How do I reset the 4G connection if it refuses to work? This is a suggested route which works with car software that has "LTE" instead of "4G" in the upper left of the screen.
    • The update may be more reliable if the car is stationary.
    • Reboot the infotainment system as described above.
      Once it's rebooted and up and running, press the front defrost/demist button once.
    • Then hold down the defrost button on the center console for up to 60 seconds.
      The symbol in the upper left corner changes, indicating that reset is in progress (empty triangle with x) and the SOS button in the roof will flash red. The reset is now in progress.
      When the SOS button stops flashing, the Telematic unit connects to the network.
      After another 15-20 seconds, you should now see LTE in the corner

An additional FAQ is provided by Polestar themselves:

·
Registered
840 Posts
@rgledhill - an add and an edit to the FAQ: Polestar recommended home charger in US is ChargePoint Flex (missed the "Charge") :) and cables that comes with the Polestar 2 in the US has both a standard 3 prong 110V wall plug and a 14-50 NEMA plug. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know what the max current is. I'll try to update when I get a chance.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mick, that's very helpful!

Reactions: Mick

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Updated to clarify that OTA update support was added in infotainment version corresponding to Android Patch level from 1st October.

I've also added a freshly scraped version of the manual from the website (I wrote some automated software to go through every single section and put it in a PDF). Note it's very crude and about 100MB but it has a lot more in than the August 2020 official one.

·
Registered
840 Posts
@rgledhill if you want I can run your script on the US manual site if you haven't already done that. I think the two versions have a few differences. Python, I think you said?

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@rgledhill if you want I can run your script on the US manual site if you haven't already done that. I think the two versions have a few differences. Python, I think you said?
I'll drop you a message Mick... yes, it's in Python using remote control of Firefox via a plug-in.

Reactions: Mick

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, basically it's written in Python 3.7 in the PyCharm development studio, using the Selenium package to remotely control either Firefox or Chrome which can be operated in standard (visible) or headless mode via the Gecko interface driver. It parses the website as XML and uses various header and custom tags to locate various sections using the find_by_xpath approach before extracting the text and pictures and exporting them in an HTML format readable by standard web browsers.

Is that techy enough for you? :)

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'll run this on one of my Linux machines (Fedora 33): are there any rpm's I need beyond Python and Firefox? I didn't see a python-selenium* package in any of the repos I have configured. Or is it in a browser plugin/extension? I have both Chrome and Firefox on my desktop Linux machine.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw your message. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Added in confirmation from Polestar about iPhone 12 not charging properly due to Apple using non-standard charging interface (surprise surprise)...

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Added US version of "scraped" manual taken from US website - full credit to @Mick for taking my tatty script by the scruff of the neck and knocking it into shape to grab the US manual!

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Hey there, Super Moderator...

Suggested for the delivery check... Check that your tow hook is working. If you're in the U.S., check to see you get the insert for the tow hook.

BTW, I asked about tire pressure. Drew assured me they were spot on. Got home and found they were all around 30 psi when 40 or 41 psi is standard! (Maybe that explains a bit of my range issues, eh?)

·
Registered
2021 2
2,588 Posts
Hey there, Super Moderator...

Suggested for the delivery check... Check that your tow hook is working. If you're in the U.S., check to see you get the insert for the tow hook.

BTW, I asked about tire pressure. Drew assured me they were spot on. Got home and found they were all around 30 psi when 40 or 41 psi is standard! (Maybe that explains a bit of my range issues, eh?)
i thought everyone in New England was now well familiar with the ideal gas law and what it implies about the relative deflation of pressurized objects in the cold

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks - added! My tyres were all spot-on at at indicated 37psi (I thought I'd forgive them being 1psi out, given that the tyre inflator is probably only +-3psi accurate anyway!). 40psi is the Eco setting and will simply result in a harder ride and no noticeable change in range - the effect of a slightly higher pressure is unnoticeable and has been debunked as a way of getting extra range many times. Go for 36psi and be comfortable :). However being as low as 30psi will definitely not help as you at least need enough in there to support the tyre walls on such a heavy car...

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Huh. I was going by what is posted on the A pillar. I had recalled that there were eco settings, but the tire pressures listed there made no mention of them. So, I presume the details are in the manual?

And, yes, Polerad. But the car was picked up in New York which, technically, is not New England and you can't expect Yankee to fans to bother with physics when they think they've got something on the GOAT.

To be fair, the car was sitting in the second floor of Manhattan Motorcars facility at room temperature. If they had checked the tire pressures there, that could explain the low pressures I've measured in 15 F temperatures.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,588 Posts
Thanks - added! My tyres were all spot-on at at indicated 37psi (I thought I'd forgive them being 1psi out, given that the tyre inflator is probably only +-3psi accurate anyway!). 40psi is the Eco setting and will simply result in a harder ride and no noticeable change in range - the effect of a slightly higher pressure is unnoticeable and has been debunked as a way of getting extra range many times. Go for 36psi and be comfortable :). However being as low as 30psi will definitely not help as you at least need enough in there to support the tyre walls on such a heavy car...
over here the recommended tire pressure is 41psi in front and 42psi in rear. Note sure why there’s differences between the US and EU for this? Maybe they’re defaulting to “eco” to maximize range here?

else, for those confused by which reference I was alluding to:

1 - 20 of 102 Posts