Polestar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
For the TLDR crowd:
"Cars with Google built-in (previously known as Android Automotive) are also due for something new as they are about to be free to play videos while the car is parked. Originally announced earlier this year with YouTube as the focus, more streaming apps are now slated to join the list, including Tubi and Epix Now. This will give drivers more ways to stay entertained while charging their car or waiting to pick up food.

Google is also making plans to expand this capability to support Google Cast, so it’ll be even easier to find videos to play while you wait. There is also a web browser in the works, giving drivers another way to do roadside research.

Nothing specific was said about how long this will take to roll out, and it’s not clear if all of these features will come at the same time. However, if the original announcement holds true, video playback may be exclusive to Volvo for a short time before it rolls out to other brands.

Since this is a developer conference, there are also a few new things for the app makers. The biggest single detail is that apps can now be built to target a single library that works with both Android Auto and Android Automotive OS, saving a lot of time and energy involved with building and publishing separate variants."

·
Registered
2022 DM Void Plus & Pilot 19 inch tires
74 Posts
"Cars with Google built-in (previously known as Android Automotive) are also due for something new as they are about to be free to play videos while the car is parked. Originally announced earlier this year with YouTube as the focus, more streaming apps are now slated to join the list, including Tubi and Epix Now. This will give drivers more ways to stay entertained while charging their car or waiting to pick up food."

So, not much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
being one of the 5 people who use Stadia would be cool if they could put that in the car. I dislike a majority of google's products and have not forgiven them for killing RSS off with killing google reader, but stadia has been great especially having the Ubisoft subscription.

·
Registered
283 Posts
“Google is also making plans to expand this capability to support Google Cast, so it’ll be even easier to find videos to play while you wait. “
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but would this mean you can cast media from your phone to the center display? That’d be cool!
Doesn’t that use WiFi?

·
Registered
PS2 '22 | Snow | PPP | Napa Leather
148 Posts
being one of the 5 people who use Stadia would be cool if they could put that in the car. I dislike a majority of google's products and have not forgiven them for killing RSS off with killing google reader, but stadia has been great especially having the Ubisoft subscription.
there are 5?

·
Registered
LRSM Void,Pilot,Plus
585 Posts
Ah Google Reader. I remember those days. I use Feedly – More signal, less noise now which is clean and simple.

·
Registered
California
1,400 Posts
We know that developing for cars can be complex, which is why we’re focused on making developing across Android for Cars as easy as possible. We’ve seen strong momentum with our Car App Library with over 200 apps published to date, and beyond enriching the navigation feature set with version 1.3, we’re also excited to share that all developers can now publish apps in supported categories directly to production for both Android Auto and Android Automotive OS. We’ve also created new templates and expanded our supported app categories, adding driver apps like Lyft to the navigation category, and replacing the parking and charging categories with a comprehensive point of interest (POI) category to include apps like MochiMochi and Fuelio.
Huh, not sure I’ve seen 200 apps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts