Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year to everyone. May this one be a vast improvement on the last.

This is my introduction to you all, I placed an order for a new Magnesium, Charcoal Polestar 2, non PP on the 17th December and am now very much looking forward to driving it, whenever that will be.

We live in Swindon, south of England, have been very much enjoying the electric driving experience for nearly 4 years with our i3 that both my wife and I love. When we test drove the BMW, I have never seen my wife so excited about a new car, the acceleration, quietness, responsiveness, OPD etc that we all know what driving electric gives you. My gamble had paid off, (I have to time the introduction to any new car to her very carefully as although I get to choose the car, she gets final sign off as well as deciding the colour!). It was a bit of a gamble, a test if you like but it paid off, it has been our favourite car and we knew we would never go back to ICE.

Our plan was to change it after 3 years, that was last May. At the time, there was nothing new that we wanted and of course, it was not like we could go anywhere anyway so a new car would have been wasted back then. Over the last 12 months I have read up on all new electric cars, test drove the TM3 (no wow factor inside, too low down, poor visability) and eventually managed to go to Farnborough in early December for a Polestar test drive. It went well, we loved it. I was optimistic beforehand but you never know, it looked great, all the reviews were good, it had all the toys that I love and the cost was within budget. All I needed now was the sign off and that goal was achieved. The only downside for both of us was the visibility and the riding height, although higher than most cars, still down on the i3 and something we enjoy.

Luckily enough there was a small driving event in Swindon the following weekend that they invited me to, so we could get some final thoughts on the colour choice. My wife chose Magnesium, a good choice I think, it sounds quite interesting, almost looking like a different colour depending on the outside conditions. It was quite a tough decision, as all the colours looked good and our normal choice of a nice bright blue like we have on the i3 was not available.

A first for me, we are leasing this car. I looked at what was available, decided on CVSL, a company with good reviews and one of the better lease costs. We have gone for 4 years, to help keep the monthly costs down as to benefit from the extra year of warranty on offer. We have an order number from Polestar, was thinking a March delivery date at the time but as we all saw just before Christmas, the deliver dates for new orders on the Polestar website moved to June/July so who knows now. My head is saying no great rush to get it but the heart wants it earlier!

This forum has been very informative, overall most people are loving the car but there have been problems and concerns over range. I applaud all of you who had the first cars and did all the ground work for those of us coming on now. Range is one of the important upgrades I wanted over the i3, along with toys, driving and looks and affordability. We get 110 to 150 miles out of our i3, 110 to 130 in winter, 130 to 150 in the summer. This is long trips, preconditioned batteries and cabin off a 33KWH battery (It should be noted that at the time time, the car was quoted as doing up to 195 miles). Lots of shorter trips in winter as we all know, results in a lot less range. This range works for us most of the time but we did have occasion, especially in winter when we were getting low on power, where we had the heating off, heated seats only and a blanket covering our laps. At these times, it was good to discuss a new car with an improved range!

The discussions on range currently achieved is a bit lower than my expectations but I do hope that, particularly with the new app, preconditioning of the batteries will be available and will go along way to improve this aspect of the car. As well as any other fixes and improvements around efficiency that the OTA updates can deliver.

One interesting last development is we currently have an i3 and a 15 year old mini, a car that my wife has loved. I assumed we were selling the i3 but now the idea has been suggested that we should sell the mini instead. The advantage of selling the i3 is there is a lot more money tied up in that car compared to an old mini. Advantage of selling the mini is saving £240 a year road tax, and things are more likely to go wrong on that car. So let's see what happens, if I had my way we would keep the i3, ideal for whoever is doing the short journey and town but I will leave that decision to final sign off.

So it might not be i3 to Polestar but mini to Polestar, watch this space.....

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
646 Posts
Welcome @MisterE. Good to have you on board, you will pick up lots of good info on these forums as I have done. Hopefully the March date works for you. If they are stating June/July then it shows that their popularity has certainly increased.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome @MisterE. Good to have you on board, you will pick up lots of good info on these forums as I have done. Hopefully the March date works for you. If they are stating June/July then it shows that their popularity has certainly increased.
Thanks jonspolestar, I will certainly keep checking in to see what is being discussed. I think I am in that place now where I just want to read and see everything I can about the car while the wait is on. It will be be good to get a delivery date, I am not sure how long down the road you can expect to get that? If anyone can advise on their experience, it will help keep my expectations in check, i.e. if you know within 2 months of delivery then I know its at least that long away.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Happy New Year to everyone. May this one be a vast improvement on the last.

This is my introduction to you all, I placed an order for a new Magnesium, Charcoal Polestar 2, non PP on the 17th December and am now very much looking forward to driving it, whenever that will be.

We live in Swindon, south of England, have been very much enjoying the electric driving experience for nearly 4 years with our i3 that both my wife and I love. When we test drove the BMW, I have never seen my wife so excited about a new car, the acceleration, quietness, responsiveness, OPD etc that we all know what driving electric gives you. My gamble had paid off, (I have to time the introduction to any new car to her very carefully as although I get to choose the car, she gets final sign off as well as deciding the colour!). It was a bit of a gamble, a test if you like but it paid off, it has been our favourite car and we knew we would never go back to ICE.

Our plan was to change it after 3 years, that was last May. At the time, there was nothing new that we wanted and of course, it was not like we could go anywhere anyway so a new car would have been wasted back then. Over the last 12 months I have read up on all new electric cars, test drove the TM3 (no wow factor inside, too low down, poor visability) and eventually managed to go to Farnborough in early December for a Polestar test drive. It went well, we loved it. I was optimistic beforehand but you never know, it looked great, all the reviews were good, it had all the toys that I love and the cost was within budget. All I needed now was the sign off and that goal was achieved. The only downside for both of us was the visibility and the riding height, although higher than most cars, still down on the i3 and something we enjoy.

Luckily enough there was a small driving event in Swindon the following weekend that they invited me to, so we could get some final thoughts on the colour choice. My wife chose Magnesium, a good choice I think, it sounds quite interesting, almost looking like a different colour depending on the outside conditions. It was quite a tough decision, as all the colours looked good and our normal choice of a nice bright blue like we have on the i3 was not available.

A first for me, we are leasing this car. I looked at what was available, decided on CVSL, a company with good reviews and one of the better lease costs. We have gone for 4 years, to help keep the monthly costs down as to benefit from the extra year of warranty on offer. We have an order number from Polestar, was thinking a March delivery date at the time but as we all saw just before Christmas, the deliver dates for new orders on the Polestar website moved to June/July so who knows now. My head is saying no great rush to get it but the heart wants it earlier!

This forum has been very informative, overall most people are loving the car but there have been problems and concerns over range. I applaud all of you who had the first cars and did all the ground work for those of us coming on now. Range is one of the important upgrades I wanted over the i3, along with toys, driving and looks and affordability. We get 110 to 150 miles out of our i3, 110 to 130 in winter, 130 to 150 in the summer. This is long trips, preconditioned batteries and cabin off a 33KWH battery (It should be noted that at the time time, the car was quoted as doing up to 195 miles). Lots of shorter trips in winter as we all know, results in a lot less range. This range works for us most of the time but we did have occasion, especially in winter when we were getting low on power, where we had the heating off, heated seats only and a blanket covering our laps. At these times, it was good to discuss a new car with an improved range!

The discussions on range currently achieved is a bit lower than my expectations but I do hope that, particularly with the new app, preconditioning of the batteries will be available and will go along way to improve this aspect of the car. As well as any other fixes and improvements around efficiency that the OTA updates can deliver.

One interesting last development is we currently have an i3 and a 15 year old mini, a car that my wife has loved. I assumed we were selling the i3 but now the idea has been suggested that we should sell the mini instead. The advantage of selling the i3 is there is a lot more money tied up in that car compared to an old mini. Advantage of selling the mini is saving £240 a year road tax, and things are more likely to go wrong on that car. So let's see what happens, if I had my way we would keep the i3, ideal for whoever is doing the short journey and town but I will leave that decision to final sign off.

So it might not be i3 to Polestar but mini to Polestar, watch this space.....
welcome!
Did you/your wife consider the Mini SE? i3 drivetrain in a Mini body?

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Performance Pack | Launch Edition | Snow | Charcoal | VIN 0023xx
48 Posts
I have just taken this leap. I have had an i3 94Ah for three years and still love it. My Polestar 2 PP has just arrived and the i3 is off to my daughter to continue its service in the family. I don’t want to sell the i3 either - I really love the way if drives - so I know where you’re coming from!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welcome!
Did you/your wife consider the Mini SE? i3 drivetrain in a Mini body?
Hi, we didn't or should I say, I didn't. I would certainly expect it to be a good drive if it's anything like the i3 but it would lack the range that we wished for. I have looked at the BMWix3, range looks ok, higher driving position but the cost at £60k and then having to add some extra's to that because not everything is included like with the Polestar 2. I do like german cars but you do pay extra and not sure they have the value balance quite right at the moment.
Other cars that were considered were Ford Mustang, VW ID4, TM3, Skoda Enyaq. All good cars, Polestar 2 won.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just taken this leap. I have had an i3 94Ah for three years and still love it. My Polestar 2 PP has just arrived and the i3 is off to my daughter to continue its service in the family. I don’t want to sell the i3 either - I really love the way if drives - so I know where you’re coming from!
That's great you found a good home for it. I don't know what you have found after 3 years but the batteries on mine are not showing any noticeable deterioration hence we are thinking of keeping it. It was something we were concerned about when we originally bought it although you do get the guarantee. I would think about my father having the i3 but I think the technology and range anxiety would be a problem for him.
Enjoy your new car, how long did you have to wait after ordering?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks jonspolestar, I will certainly keep checking in to see what is being discussed. I think I am in that place now where I just want to read and see everything I can about the car while the wait is on. It will be be good to get a delivery date, I am not sure how long down the road you can expect to get that? If anyone can advise on their experience, it will help keep my expectations in check, i.e. if you know within 2 months of delivery then I know its at least that long away.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the purchase. Would suggest contacting Polestar on chat 4/5 weeks after the order date as they should be able to give you an update on whether built yet and hopefully give you a VIN. Won't get you a delivery date but will narrow it down and hopefully let you know is built before China closes for the Chinese New Year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the purchase. Would suggest contacting Polestar on chat 4/5 weeks after the order date as they should be able to give you an update on whether built yet and hopefully give you a VIN. Won't get you a delivery date but will narrow it down and hopefully let you know is built before China closes for the Chinese New Year.
Thanks for this, very helpful. I will put a note on the calendar. Of course, Chines New Year, that's only about 5 weeks away and will slow things down for a while.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Performance Pack | Launch Edition | Snow | Charcoal | VIN 0023xx
48 Posts
The battery doesn’t seem to have degraded at all after 25k miles - I get about the same as you in terms of mileage, but the exact range also depends on how heavily the right pedal is applied. I checked the “secret” menu recently to see what the computer currently believed the available capacity was and it indicated 28.9kWh - which is 0.1kWh above the specification (28.8kWh available from 33kWh pack).

In practical terms I have never really found the 100-ish miles between charges a problem even on a long journey as I want to stop every couple of hours anyway. The nice thing about the i3 is that the charging curve is a flat at 45kW until around 85% charge, so a 30 min stop gets you back up to around 90% and off you go again (the Polestar isn’t quite a good unfortunately, but I am hoping that software updates will improve it over time).

I ordered in late October and could have taken delivery in early December, but put it back to 30th December as I knew I would be taking some holiday at Christmas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The battery doesn’t seem to have degraded at all after 25k miles - I get about the same as you in terms of mileage, but the exact range also depends on how heavily the right pedal is applied. I checked the “secret” menu recently to see what the computer currently believed the available capacity was and it indicated 28.9kWh - which is 0.1kWh above the specification (28.8kWh available from 33kWh pack).

In practical terms I have never really found the 100-ish miles between charges a problem even on a long journey as I want to stop every couple of hours anyway. The nice thing about the i3 is that the charging curve is a flat at 45kW until around 85% charge, so a 30 min stop gets you back up to around 90% and off you go again (the Polestar isn’t quite a good unfortunately, but I am hoping that software updates will improve it over time).

I ordered in late October and could have taken delivery in early December, but put it back to 30th December as I knew I would be taking some holiday at Christmas.
It sounds like a very similar experience. Most journey's are fine, it was just on the cold days when we had a long journey ahead of us. For most trips, as we all know it just needs some planning and allowing some extra time.

I have never looked at the hidden menu's and checked on the battery, I am intrigued and will do that tomorrow, thank you.

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
560 Posts
Hi and welcome @MisterE. I ordered in August and got delivery in October (leasing via WeVee). I think I got a firm date about 2 weeks before delivery.

·
Registered
P*2 9xxx, Dec sw, Midnight, 20",No PP
46 Posts
I ordered mine end of November due next Tueday :). Mine was leased and Midnight/Charcoal. I think the purchase method and colour/spec influences timing based on stock available.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered mine end of November due next Tueday :). Mine was leased and Midnight/Charcoal. I think the purchase method and colour/spec influences timing based on stock available.
That makes sense, enjoy your car next week.

I get the impression delivery times are longer now due to popularity and Chinese New Year perhaps. I will check in with Polestar at the end of January.

·
Registered
277 Posts
They do seem to be longer as ordered mine 21st October and was factory complete beginning of December. Got the Vin from CS start of December. As it is leased Polestar account page still says no orders in progress!! Hence need to contact them after awhile if want more information and i am expecting delivery February as believe it is on Tijuca ship.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not worth checking out their pre built spec orders? I haven’t looked as to whether they have magnesium or not.
Just checked and there is one on there, exact same spec! Not sure how it works as I have gone with a lease company to order for me. I will mention it to them on Monday and see what they say, they may be able to divert that one my way and that is due end of February plus 2 weeks as it says on the website if you are leasing.

Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They do seem to be longer as ordered mine 21st October and was factory complete beginning of December. Got the Vin from CS start of December. As it is leased Polestar account page still says no orders in progress!! Hence need to contact them after awhile if want more information and i am expecting delivery February as believe it is on Tijuca ship.
Thanks for this, useful to know that I shouldn't expect any update soon on the Polestar account page. I will keep in touch with CS down the line.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Once the lease company has placed the order you should get an email from Polestar with the order number which in your case i suspect with be north of 29000 or even 30000 if they placed it after Christmas. Once you have it thats all you need to be able to get updates from CS.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts