Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2; Magnesium; slate; non-PP; 19"; towbar
16 Posts
Happy New Year to everyone. May this one be a vast improvement on the last.

This is my introduction to you all, I placed an order for a new Magnesium, Charcoal Polestar 2, non PP on the 17th December and am now very much looking forward to driving it, whenever that will be.

We live in Swindon, south of England, have been very much enjoying the electric driving experience for nearly 4 years with our i3 that both my wife and I love. When we test drove the BMW, I have never seen my wife so excited about a new car, the acceleration, quietness, responsiveness, OPD etc that we all know what driving electric gives you. My gamble had paid off, (I have to time the introduction to any new car to her very carefully as although I get to choose the car, she gets final sign off as well as deciding the colour!). It was a bit of a gamble, a test if you like but it paid off, it has been our favourite car and we knew we would never go back to ICE.

Our plan was to change it after 3 years, that was last May. At the time, there was nothing new that we wanted and of course, it was not like we could go anywhere anyway so a new car would have been wasted back then. Over the last 12 months I have read up on all new electric cars, test drove the TM3 (no wow factor inside, too low down, poor visability) and eventually managed to go to Farnborough in early December for a Polestar test drive. It went well, we loved it. I was optimistic beforehand but you never know, it looked great, all the reviews were good, it had all the toys that I love and the cost was within budget. All I needed now was the sign off and that goal was achieved. The only downside for both of us was the visibility and the riding height, although higher than most cars, still down on the i3 and something we enjoy.

Luckily enough there was a small driving event in Swindon the following weekend that they invited me to, so we could get some final thoughts on the colour choice. My wife chose Magnesium, a good choice I think, it sounds quite interesting, almost looking like a different colour depending on the outside conditions. It was quite a tough decision, as all the colours looked good and our normal choice of a nice bright blue like we have on the i3 was not available.

A first for me, we are leasing this car. I looked at what was available, decided on CVSL, a company with good reviews and one of the better lease costs. We have gone for 4 years, to help keep the monthly costs down as to benefit from the extra year of warranty on offer. We have an order number from Polestar, was thinking a March delivery date at the time but as we all saw just before Christmas, the deliver dates for new orders on the Polestar website moved to June/July so who knows now. My head is saying no great rush to get it but the heart wants it earlier!

This forum has been very informative, overall most people are loving the car but there have been problems and concerns over range. I applaud all of you who had the first cars and did all the ground work for those of us coming on now. Range is one of the important upgrades I wanted over the i3, along with toys, driving and looks and affordability. We get 110 to 150 miles out of our i3, 110 to 130 in winter, 130 to 150 in the summer. This is long trips, preconditioned batteries and cabin off a 33KWH battery (It should be noted that at the time time, the car was quoted as doing up to 195 miles). Lots of shorter trips in winter as we all know, results in a lot less range. This range works for us most of the time but we did have occasion, especially in winter when we were getting low on power, where we had the heating off, heated seats only and a blanket covering our laps. At these times, it was good to discuss a new car with an improved range!

The discussions on range currently achieved is a bit lower than my expectations but I do hope that, particularly with the new app, preconditioning of the batteries will be available and will go along way to improve this aspect of the car. As well as any other fixes and improvements around efficiency that the OTA updates can deliver.

One interesting last development is we currently have an i3 and a 15 year old mini, a car that my wife has loved. I assumed we were selling the i3 but now the idea has been suggested that we should sell the mini instead. The advantage of selling the i3 is there is a lot more money tied up in that car compared to an old mini. Advantage of selling the mini is saving £240 a year road tax, and things are more likely to go wrong on that car. So let's see what happens, if I had my way we would keep the i3, ideal for whoever is doing the short journey and town but I will leave that decision to final sign off.

So it might not be i3 to Polestar but mini to Polestar, watch this space.....
Greetings MisterE. Our story is remarkably similar except for delivery date. We live near Wantage, only 20 miles from Swindon, and also ordered a Magnesium non-PP in early December. (We'd have liked a bright blue too.) We went for a test drive at Farnborough, and considered going to the driving event in Swindon. However we decided that we didn't need to (given COVID) and ordered instead on 11 December. Estimated delivery was February, but confirmed date to my surprise is 14 January, and we have a registration number. I guess they could meet our order from those already here, but we are buying rather than leasing if that makes a difference. However, this is our first EV. It replaces my 2008 BMW 320d touring. I can only hope that the Polestar is in as good condition and that I'm as fond of it when it's 13 years old! Our second car is also a Mini, but it's only 5 years old! Maybe we can meet when you have yours, hopefully sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Once the lease company has placed the order you should get an email from Polestar with the order number which in your case i suspect with be north of 29000 or even 30000 if they placed it after Christmas. Once you have it thats all you need to be able to get updates from CS.
Just checked, my order number is 298**, you were spot on. Before Christmas I did ask CS and they said it takes longer to see anything because I went with another lease company.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Greetings MisterE. Our story is remarkably similar except for delivery date. We live near Wantage, only 20 miles from Swindon, and also ordered a Magnesium non-PP in early December. (We'd have liked a bright blue too.) We went for a test drive at Farnborough, and considered going to the driving event in Swindon. However we decided that we didn't need to (given COVID) and ordered instead on 11 December. Estimated delivery was February, but confirmed date to my surprise is 14 January, and we have a registration number. I guess they could meet our order from those already here, but we are buying rather than leasing if that makes a difference. However, this is our first EV. It replaces my 2008 BMW 320d touring. I can only hope that the Polestar is in as good condition and that I'm as fond of it when it's 13 years old! Our second car is also a Mini, but it's only 5 years old! Maybe we can meet when you have yours, hopefully sooner rather than later.
Hi Kingfisher, our stories do seem very similar, spooky. I would love to meet up when able, it would be good to see your car as I am sure I will be waiting a while longer. I have no doubt you will love the electric driving experience, it still feels special and it puts a smile on my face now after nearly 4 years. It also feels good to join a company near the start of their electric production and see how the car improves over the years with the updates.
Let's keep in touch, it will be good to have someone else to talk to about the car, my wife is not as keen as I am. She will get more excited when it arrives.

·
Registered
Polestar 2; Magnesium; slate; non-PP; 19"; towbar
16 Posts
Hi Kingfisher, our stories do seem very similar, spooky. I would love to meet up when able, it would be good to see your car as I am sure I will be waiting a while longer. I have no doubt you will love the electric driving experience, it still feels special and it puts a smile on my face now after nearly 4 years. It also feels good to join a company near the start of their electric production and see how the car improves over the years with the updates.
Let's keep in touch, it will be good to have someone else to talk to about the car, my wife is not as keen as I am. She will get more excited when it arrives.
OK let's keep in touch. I don't know if there's a way of messaging privately - I'm also new to the world of forums (fora?) but I expect I'll post here when it arrives if not before. I only have one friend with an EV at present (Tesla M3) to discuss with. I liked the driving experience, including one-pedal driving, even in the short test drive. My wife was very keen to change to an EV. She'd probably have preferred something smaller, but accepted that I'd want something as near to the BMW as possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
OK let's keep in touch. I don't know if there's a way of messaging privately - I'm also new to the world of forums (fora?) but I expect I'll post here when it arrives if not before. I only have one friend with an EV at present (Tesla M3) to discuss with. I liked the driving experience, including one-pedal driving, even in the short test drive. My wife was very keen to change to an EV. She'd probably have preferred something smaller, but accepted that I'd want something as near to the BMW as possible.
No I don't know either, all new for me as well. I have encouraged others to go for an EV, if nothing else, just test drive one but there has been a reluctance, concerns around range and cost. Fair to say my fiends tend not to be into cars as much as I am, as long as it gets them from A to B etc.
Good choice on colour by the way, I see you have gone for slate, I think both look good in the car. At least there is one difference between us!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I ordered in late October and could have taken delivery in early December, but put it back to 30th December as I knew I would be taking some holiday at Christmas.
Nixer, was there any issues with delaying a few weeks as I ordered mid nov and was told mid feb delivery but i may now get it by end jan. My current lease exoires end feb so was hoping to delay and get the new plate as well but not sure how pushy Polestar will be about taking deliery quickly ?

ps am Also moving from i3 94 after 3 years - no going back to petrol once you expereince electric...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi MisterE et al, - I live in Pewsey - work in Wroughton Midnight order number 251XX VIN 206XX Built 15/12/20 I guess will be on the boat this week
Am new to EV - Tested at Farnborough event 2 months ago ordered 9/11/20
Customer Services might give you an expected build date if you check with them. This would give you a better insight to required excitement levels!
Have seen 3 locally Snow & midnight x2 (hopefully both the same one)
This will mean we retain a certain exclusivity in SwinVegas.
Mrs Farmer spotted a Snow & likes the look which is high praise.
Drop me a PM when I have the vehicle - (imagine I'll be telling everyone & changing my avatar)

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Performance Pack | Launch Edition | Snow | Charcoal | VIN 0023xx
50 Posts
Nixer, was there any issues with delaying a few weeks as I ordered mid nov and was told mid feb delivery but i may now get it by end jan. My current lease exoires end feb so was hoping to delay and get the new plate as well but not sure how pushy Polestar will be about taking deliery quickly ?

ps am Also moving from i3 94 after 3 years - no going back to petrol once you expereince electric...
I had no problem asking for a specific date - the customer team were very helpful.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi MisterE et al, - I live in Pewsey - work in Wroughton Midnight order number 251XX VIN 206XX Built 15/12/20 I guess will be on the boat this week
Am new to EV - Tested at Farnborough event 2 months ago ordered 9/11/20
Customer Services might give you an expected build date if you check with them. This would give you a better insight to required excitement levels!
Have seen 3 locally Snow & midnight x2 (hopefully both the same one)
This will mean we retain a certain exclusivity in SwinVegas.
Mrs Farmer spotted a Snow & likes the look which is high praise.
Drop me a PM when I have the vehicle - (imagine I'll be telling everyone & changing my avatar)
Hi JohnnyFarmer, good to hear another local getting their car. I have only seen the one car apart from on test events. There is a car a few roads over from me, they have a lovely looking moon Polestar 2. I am going on a daily walk as you do and quite often find myself walking past their house, trying not to slow down too much.

Please let us know when you have the car, will be good to hear of your first few days experience and then hope to see you in Wroughton!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The car arrived this morning at 8.00am. Very good service from Nick, he had 2 to deliver today, another one around the Swindon area after mine.
I have spent all day setting the car up for us and getting the car cleaned. It was quite dirty in places and Nick did offer to wipe it down but I declined! I have done a proper 2 bucket wash, followed by a wax, rain x for the windows and treated all the black plastic. The weather was lovely so it has been very good day :). While cleaning, had 2 lots of couples stop on their walk and ask about he car, I feel like we should be on commission.
The car looks even better than I remember from the rest drive in October and I love the colour. I had not seen Magnesium in normal light until today and I am delighted, it keeps changing depending on the light conditions.
Everything is working on the car, paint looks good, just my wife pointing out the rear number plate is slightly off means I cannot un-see that now so maybe a trip to Volvo to get it straightened. No jack etc so they will be ordered and I can pick those up at the same time.
We went for a 20 mile drive after i'd cleaned it and it is even better than I remember, a wonderful drive, so well planted and of course, the acceleration when you want it. We have a tour of England planned in June, where we are looking to do about 1000 miles around England, that will be its first proper outing but I will look for excuses to use it as much as possible in the meantime.
A few pictures from today, I managed to get the i3 and Polestar in the garage. The old mini is now living on the drive. We are planning on keeping the i3 at the moment as the 2nd car, ideal for town driving and it will be a good back up to the Polestar, just while I make sure we have a reliable example.
I am hoping to see a 260 mile range, double what I get in the i3, in the summer. I will drive it the same way and see what happens and report back.
Tire Wheel Sky Car Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant
Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate Tire Window
Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Wheel

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
The plates look pretty straight to me, but that should be easy to fix yourself.

Congratulations!

Reactions: Mick

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2 Dual Motor, Long Range, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,416 Posts
The plates are both screwed on and have double-sided sticky pads; at the rear they use plastic screws, at the front, self-tapping screws. You'll need to take it off, remove the sticky pads, put new ones on, then line it up before persuading the plastic bolts that they're happy with the new position.

Very shiny cars by the way!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The plates are both screwed on and have double-sided sticky pads; at the rear they use plastic screws, at the front, self-tapping screws. You'll need to take it off, remove the sticky pads, put new ones on, then line it up before persuading the plastic bolts that they're happy with the new position.

Very shiny cars by the way!
Thank you, even I should be able to manage that. I’m not as skilled as many of the contributors on here.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2 Dual Motor, Long Range, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,416 Posts
Even I managed it (to put my green flash plates on) and I'm definitely nowhere near as skilled as most people on here - take me away from a keyboard and I panic ;).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just look at the tyre width difference between those cars!
I did notice the tyre noise today, going faster than on the test drive so didn’t notice it as much then. As you said, the tyres are twice the size so it’s bound to make a difference.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Thank you, even I should be able to manage that. I’m not as skilled as many of the contributors on here.
Don't sell yourself short. You start straightening the license plate and end up with a lift, dropping out the battery pack to check the cabling.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Don't sell yourself short. You start straightening the license plate and end up with a lift, dropping out the battery pack to check the cabling.
that did make me laugh, thank you. I do like things to be right on what I think already is the best car I have ever driven, so I will make the rear number plate this years project!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts