Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post so forgive me if this has already been asked. I'm interested in the Polestar 2 and I've researched the online handbook and the only reference to the USB-C sockets are in relation to charging smartphones/tablets etc. I realise the rear ones would be for charging only but what about the front ones? The only media playback referenced is via streaming services or bluetooth off the phone.

Does anyone know if you can play songs off a USB stick, especially FLAC or WAV files as I would want to do the HK system justice?

Thanks
Jonno (UK)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm sure that they are charging only at the front - I can't remember where I saw or read it ... I'm sure it was a youtube review.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GDank. It seems like a lost opportunity to me not to devote 1 USB-C to media playing, after all there are still 3 ports left for charging and wireless charging for your smartphone. We just need a brave person on here doing a test drive to find out whether the front USB sockets will play any media USB sticks.;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Jonno, I have asked this very question to Customer Support via email and also the UK marketing person via LinkedIn, unfortunately no response from either yet.
My current car has about 100 CD's on a USB and want to use this on the P2.
If I get an update, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi SA69-ev

Exactly my situation. If not enabled let's hope a magic software update will do it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Apologies for hijacking this thread for a slightly irrelevant question, however, it is to do with the USB C connectivity. As most of you may have invested on a dashcam just like myself, how do we connect that to front connectivity ie USB C? In my current car, I plug that to a 12V in the back as I have only USBs and wireless charging in the front.

Is there an after market connector to solve this or only way is to use the 12v in the boot/trunk? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I’m going to look into using a hardwired charger for my dash cam I think. That way I can make neat and tidy - fed up of having cables trailed all over the place!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi SA69-ev

Exactly my situation. If not enabled let's hope a magic software update will do it.
Well I will also ask that at my test drive, so along with @GDank, they will get at least two people pressing them for answers ;)(y)

@JFC - I was assuming that my dashcam would be binned as I could not see how to plug it in with no "cigarette" lighter connection. Rear facing and plugged into the boot looks like the only other option.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a pity there isn't a built in dashcam... or is there... Perhaps the functionality could be added? Who knows?:unsure:

·
Registered
703 Posts
It is USB type 2 into a cigarette power plug or just directly into the plug?

If USB 2 ... then there are adaptors.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks guys for your responses 👍

@Jonno - yes, I too thought about in-built dashcam and it will be good if it has one or something they could add later. May be it's one of the questions during the test drive.

@GDank - directly into 12v

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hi Jonno, I have asked this very question to Customer Support via email and also the UK marketing person via LinkedIn, unfortunately no response from either yet.
My current car has about 100 CD's on a USB and want to use this on the P2.
If I get an update, I'll post it here.
I also have a lot of music on a USB drive. But the Polestar has a USB-C port, not a regular USB-A port, so you'd have to move the files to another drive anyway.

And if you want to charge your phone you have to go USB-C to whatever your phone needs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi JRRF

You can get USB-A to USB-C adapters.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hi JRRF

You can get USB-A to USB-C adapters.
Of course :) . I just didn't want anyone to think they could hop in the car with their current cable and think they could charge since most cars today have USB-A ports in them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Of course :) . I just didn't want anyone to think they could hop in the car with their current cable and think they could charge since most cars today have USB-A ports in them.
Ah yes. It should get better when we have a universal standard (eventually) which is what USB was when originally proposed until it started getting messed about with - USB, USB2, USB 3, USB3.1, USB - C and then all the different size connectors. o_O

·
Registered
32 Posts
Apologies for hijacking this thread for a slightly irrelevant question, however, it is to do with the USB C connectivity. As most of you may have invested on a dashcam just like myself, how do we connect that to front connectivity ie USB C? In my current car, I plug that to a 12V in the back as I have only USBs and wireless charging in the front.

Is there an after market connector to solve this or only way is to use the 12v in the boot/trunk? Any thoughts?
Hi - yes, you can get various adaptor cables. I use one most the time as I have a Mac Computer which has USB-C's; but other cables that I use yo connect things are standard USB's - so I use a small converter cable - like this one USB-C to USB Adapter

·
Registered
732 Posts
USB-C was supposed to be a new standard for everyone this time, including Apple. But then again, so was USB-A when it came along :rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi - yes, you can get various adaptor cables. I use one most the time as I have a Mac Computer which has USB-C's; but other cables that I use yo connect things are standard USB's - so I use a small converter cable - like this one USB-C to USB Adapter
Yes, thanks. Aware of adaptors from USB A to C or vice versa. But I was asking about dashcam which is connected to a 12v.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, thanks. Aware of adaptors from USB A to C or vice versa. But I was asking about dashcam which is connected to a 12v.
My dashcam has a USB-mini connector, I was thinking of a USB-C to USB-mini cable and seeing if that would run it okay. The details say that it is 5v into the cam. Nextbase GW412.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts