Polestar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
"Us as car manufacturers"?! Can they not even use English? "We as car manufacturers"... As it stands the advert would be right for Daily Mail readers but Guardian readers might expect the English to be correct so it could do more harm than good!

On the other hand the chances are that 99% of the population won't even notice, and 99.999% won't care. Ho hum...

Good advert apart from that :).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Annoys me when i read something like that as we all know charging infrastructure needs massive improvement but companies like Polestar and many other EV car manufacturers happy to sell cars but appear to have no interest in improving the charging structure for the cars they sell. Regardless of what people think of Ionity at least they are making an effort to improve things and any reason why volvo group can't invest some money in a couple of chargers at each of their dealerships if they do not want to be part of Ionity! Certainly the one area where the T have got it right.
Not sure if Instravolt are getting any government (taxpayers) funding but if they are should be passing a share of business over to exchequer in return for funding as sure last time i looked turnover 2 years ago was around 7k and highest paid director 400k+ and hope not my taxes paying for it with no future payback and sure figures would be similar for other EV charging start ups.
Sorry Rant over and apologies to Instravolt if getting no funding as was just an example!!

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
"Us as car manufacturers"?! Can they not even use English? "We as car manufacturers"... As it stands the advert would be right for Daily Mail readers but Guardian readers might expect the English to be correct so it could do more harm than good!

On the other hand the chances are that 99% of the population won't even notice, and 99.999% won't care. Ho hum...

Good advert apart from that :).
I thought that was a SweChinglishism

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
That nickname did occur to me too, though I assumed that the readers just expected a degree of typos from the columnists, rather than a clear grammatical error :)

Instavolt probably originally had some grant funding from the Government to subsidise the roll-out of early chargers, as do all of the charger companies. Without this, there wouldn't be any charger companies at all as I very much doubt any are making a profit yet.

If you want Polestar and other EV manufacturers to pay for a charging network then you presumably are happy to pay more for your car, as the money has to come from somewhere? So maybe add £5k to each Polestar 2 in exchange for (at 1000 cars per year into the UK, let's say) £5m which should fund about 50 chargers. That's the reality of the economics - of course none of us wants to pay £5k extra on our car to fund 50 chargers. Therefore the Government subsidises companies like Instavolt until there are sufficient EVs on the roads using their chargers for them to start making a profit.

Tesla are completely different. Until early last year, they never even made a profit. They always factored in the supercharging network into their cost models and people do pay over the odds for Tesla cars to help fund the supercharger network (though it's not sold as such). Tesla have had enormous sums of money from the US Government and investment funds with a long term view. So your idea that Tesla have done it by themselves... well, a little wide of the mark, shall we say. They're theoretically billions of dollars in debt, which is now more than made up for in their share price, but if they hadn't had external funding they would have gone bust after selling a few EVs to a few keen Californians.

I'm sure Volvo dealers will be planning to install a few 7kW chargers for their own internal use (and occasional customer use, if free) as other manufacturers such as Hyundai and Renault have, but their business model does not include a charging network and nor should it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Agree Richard that none likely to make any money for awhile but eventually will be a money pit but see it far too often where taxes are used to fund/help start ups which in reality in some cases just seem to be a gravy train for over paid and often underperforming directors. No problem with government investing in the infrastructure but see no reason they don't get an equity stake in return as going forward in the years ahead will inevitably be consolidation and the venture capitalists, directors etc will make a fortune so why not a bit back for the taxpayers who funded some of it too!

Re manufacturers investing obviously some have in Ionity and others have said they don't believe their responsibilty which is fair enough. But my bug bearer with the Polestar Guardian ad is we have Polestar UK a 100% wholly owned subsiduary of a Swedish registered company who i believe if looked further would be 50% Chinese and 50% Swedish next and then eventually 100% Chinese asking decision makers (i read that as government) to improve (i read that as spend taxpayers money) the infrastructure. Not sure i happy about a foreign car manufacturer suggesting how government should spend my taxes so that they commercially benefit. Im my case i did not buy the Polestar for environmental reasons so maybe a total oddity in the world of current EV buyers and only other EV owners i know (Model 3 and MG) bought them for purely tax reasons. Everyone else who knows i ordered an EV thinks i am totally barking mad!! so maybe my perspective wrong and once actually have one will change and i will see things differently and will encourage them to becoming barking mad too lol.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
Interesting seeing the debate there.
Here we have Electrify America which is part of VW’s penance for Dieselgate. On one hand I’d like to see some taxpayer upside to whatever profits they make given their existence is due to a public debt. On the other hand they’re the best bet at a nonTesla comprehensive high speed charging network and I’d rather they keep doing what they’re doing. I’m not sure that something like govt incentives to Ionity are the way, but maybe tying the EU carbon fines to creation of the charging network could work? Not sure how brexit affects that....

fundamentally though the EVification of the market won’t happen until we have good charging solutions for apartment dwellers who don’t have off street parking and something like an EV Camry for $24k usd or an EV RAV4 for $28k - ie true price parity without creative accounting like overestimated fuel and maintenance savings for EVs.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
308 Posts
Annoys me when i read something like that as we all know charging infrastructure needs massive improvement but companies like Polestar and many other EV car manufacturers happy to sell cars but appear to have no interest in improving the charging structure for the cars they sell. Regardless of what people think of Ionity at least they are making an effort to improve things and any reason why volvo group can't invest some money in a couple of chargers at each of their dealerships if they do not want to be part of Ionity! Certainly the one area where the T have got it right.
Not sure if Instravolt are getting any government (taxpayers) funding but if they are should be passing a share of business over to exchequer in return for funding as sure last time i looked turnover 2 years ago was around 7k and highest paid director 400k+ and hope not my taxes paying for it with no future payback and sure figures would be similar for other EV charging start ups.
Sorry Rant over and apologies to Instravolt if getting no funding as was just an example!!
Wot?! No EV chargers at Volvo dealerships? What are they smoking? Hydrocarbon fumes?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts